E-Scooter discussion after fatal collision

Caporegime
Id suggest reading slightly further in the legislation, you can not just take the first clause in isolation. You need to look at paragraph 1-4 together. You also need to need to consider what an ‘indictable offence’ is, that will have a specific meaning in law.

So, someone assaulting another person and there is no police around to make an arrest -yes. The London Bridge incident is a good example of this.

Someone riding an electric scooter? No, that’s not what the law was intended for. Would you try and make a citizens arrest on someone speeding for instance?

Edit: A driving offence is a summary offence so it’s not ‘indictable’ so this doesn’t apply.

https://www.judiciary.uk/you-and-the-judiciary/going-to-court/magistrates-court/

Clause 3 is satisfied because the perpetrator would abscond when confronted, driving offences may be summary or indictable, depends on how the person is using the e-scooter, merely using one is not an indictable offence but using stupidly powerful motors on them can constitute dangerous driving.

Would I arrest someone for speeding? Depends on the circumstances, i.e. if their driving is actually dangerous or not.

Last edited:
Soldato
It’s still not an indictable offence to ride one, the size of the motor is irrelevant and doesn’t constitute dangerous driving on its own.

The police don’t deem it necessary arrest people when they stop them. What makes you think it’s necessary to arrest someone (per clause 3) if the police don’t?

Caporegime
It’s still not an indictable offence to ride one, the size of the motor is irrelevant and doesn’t constitute dangerous driving on its own.

The police don’t deem it necessary arrest people when they stop them. What makes you think it’s necessary to arrest someone (per clause 3) if the police don’t?

I don't and never said anything to that effect.

Man of Honour
Ban all E's inc scooters and cigs, both used by n00bs. :p

Just to put your statement into perspective I have advanced arthritis, have to use a walking stick and I'm on the waiting list for two new knees.
If I drive to my workplace I have to walk 1 mile from the car park which is a major problem and I can no longer ride my two normal bikes unless I get off and push in certain places which also causes a problem because I'm walking.
An e-Bike is the perfect solution and I never get stuck in traffic on my 4.5 mile commute.
It sounds like you're the n00b.

Caporegime
Just to put your statement into perspective I have advanced arthritis, have to use a walking stick and I'm on the waiting list for two new knees.
If I drive to my workplace I have to walk 1 mile from the car park which is a major problem and I can no longer ride my two normal bikes unless I get off and push in certain places which also causes a problem because I'm walking.
An e-Bike is the perfect solution and I never get stuck in traffic on my 4.5 mile commute.
It sounds like you're the n00b.

Dunno that an ebike is the solution, sounds like we need to take you out back and click click bang. It's for the best.

Soldato
Caporegime
Back
Top Bottom