E-Scooter discussion after fatal collision

Soldato
yes looks top end for them - is the weight mainly the electrification, 10kg battery (cooling?) and motor; my, old, 531 commuters probably 13kg
I see they have, what looks to me, equally comptetent bikes at £2.5K haibike-hardseven-5 65Nm of torque ! when you think most ev's are less than 10x that.

saddles a bit low, too ?

Battery on my bike is about 4kg, the motor is around 3kg, the rest of the electronics are negligable in weight.

Soldato
250 watt motors, 15.5mph, I can use the throttle through grandfather laws (had them 9 years) but according to those who know on Pedelecs Forums they are technically illegal.
Some legal bod has wrote a good article on there about it but also accepts Coppers won't do anything unless you're being a prat.
I was involved in an accident in front of Coppers and one of them actually said "You've got a legal motor on it" before I was taken to A&E and my bike stored by somebody else.

I know technically it is still illegal, but as it complies with the rest of the regulations with regards power output and electrical assistant limits, I don't see it as a problem personally.

The issue are those buying insane bafang kits on ebay with 1000w motors that are not limited, and sticking it on some rickety old bike that would fall apart within seconds of encountering a pot hole at 30mph, or brakes that are pretty much useless.

Man of Honour
I know technically it is still illegal, but as it complies with the rest of the regulations with regards power output and electrical assistant limits, I don't see it as a problem personally.

The issue are those buying insane bafang kits on ebay with 1000w motors that are not limited, and sticking it on some rickety old bike that would fall apart within seconds of encountering a pot hole at 30mph, or brakes that are pretty much useless.

I have a 1000 watt kit in my garage, I used it for a month before I realised I was being stupid.

Man of Honour
Soldato
My battery just fell off on London Road, it was 100 yards further back before I realised why I'd got no power and two lads were shouting me :)

Anyway
2nd hand bike off Gumtree or Marketplace then go here for your parts, I've used their parts for 9 years - https://yosepower.com/collections/e-bike-conversion-kit

Still have my old MTB in the shed, so am thinking of stripping it back, making it a single speed e-bike conversion.

SYq1DyJh.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Still have my old MTB in the shed, so am thinking of stripping it back, making it a single speed e-bike conversion.

Go for it, it's really easy to do with the parts I linked to and everything is colour coded.
The worst bit is getting the pedal arm off to put the pedal assist magnet on but I have the tools.
You also won't need to change the brake levers because if you keep pedaling while you're braking you shouldn't be cycling :)

Soldato
Go for it, it's really easy to do with the parts I linked to and everything is colour coded.
The worst bit is getting the pedal arm off to put the pedal assist magnet on but I have the tools.
You also won't need to change the brake levers because if you keep pedaling while you're braking you shouldn't be cycling :)
But it's illeeeeegalllll.

Soldato
Heh, just followed another ebike food deliverer most of the way home.

Keeping up with traffic with zero pedalling at 25-30mph including uphill but positioning like a cyclist as in kerb hugging.

Obviously they're illegal electric motorbikes but this place has plenty of police and an absence of ***** to give about it.

Back
Top Bottom