E3 2014

I just found the EA and Ubisoft conference very, I don't know, just by the numbers, 'Look we have sequels to all these franchises' and I just, I want new games at E3, I want new exclusives, I do not want to know about FIFA 39, which 100% will be coming out.

So just for perspective, by my count:

Ubisoft showed off 4 sequels/reboots and 4 new IPs
EA showed off 10 sequels and 3 new IPs (more if you count PGA and Hardline as newish)
MS showed off 7 new IPs (although considering how little people now about Phantom Dust that could count!) and 11 sequels/remakes
Sony showed off 6 new IPs and 12 sequels/reboots/remakes

I've ignored any content for existing games mentioned (last of us for D3, Dead Rising add on etc)

3 entirely new IP's yes, but PGA and Hardline are far enough departures from their previous games to count probably. Also 2 of those were very, very early teasers (the Bioware unnamed IP and the Criterion unnamed game)

I think it's harsh saying Ubisoft just announce sequels. They've probably done or announced more new IP's for the next gen than any game company.

That's pretty much how I see it to be honest, and that's why I think the XB1 *may* close the performance gap slightly. Of course, it will never get truly close to the PS4 as the hardware difference isn't something that can be overcome, and I will readily admit that there is just as much potential for the PS4 to pull further away in the future than it is now. I just don't think it's as clear cut as some people make out.

Still, the PS4 is the more powerful machine and I will likely buy all my multiplats on that, unless there is a compelling reason to get the XB1 version instead (like there is with Diablo 3).

I do think it's clear cut (And the physical specifications show this), there's like a 50% GPU power deficit, and they're both using the same GPU cores, but at the moment, the difference is greater, so they'll reduce that, I think their will tend to be a rather stable difference between the two as they improve the tools, as like I say, it's just GCN.

Again, that doesn't mean they'll use that extra grunt though, even though it's there (As you've said).

MS IMHO dropped a clanger. I'll buy an Xbox One though, but I hope this gen is short.

And that's all I'll say on the matter.

Last edited:
3 entirely new IP's yes, but PGA and Hardline are far enough departures from their previous games to count probably. Also 2 of those were very, very early teasers (the Bioware unnamed IP and the Criterion unnamed game)

They are still Battlefield and PGA games though.

It felt very by the numbers to me, if that's the right phrase.

Is there any additional content for Diablo 3 on Xbox One like the PlayStation 4? (Something about clickers iirc), or is the save transfer the only feature?
As far as I know the XB1 and PS4 versions are identical. The ability to transfer my save is the main reason I'm getting the XB1 version, with the other being that my wife hates the PS4 controllers, and really likes the XB1 controllers.

How come Activision or Rockstar don't have an e3 presence like Ubi/EA, they are just as big if not bigger. Plus all the Japanese guys, Konami, Capcom etc?

Rockstar? Count how many games Rockstar have released in the last 2 years....that's why they don't have a conference. Activision probably could but tbh they don't have that many big franchises and they seem to like being used as a partner in the big 2's conferences.

The PS4/Xbox one are stupidly similar to each other, the problem with the Xbox One is the development tools and it has different approaches to parts of the hardware.
One could argue that the Xbox one is at a lower performance than it should be, so it *could* close the gap a little (As in, the gap is currently X, when it should be Y, based on their hardware spec).

So, PS4's currently performing at normal levels for itself, while the Xbox one is under performing.

But there's still a gulf of hardware between them at either rate.

That's pretty much how I see it to be honest, and that's why I think the XB1 *may* close the performance gap slightly. Of course, it will never get truly close to the PS4 as the hardware difference isn't something that can be overcome, and I will readily admit that there is just as much potential for the PS4 to pull further away in the future than it is now. I just don't think it's as clear cut as some people make out.

Still, the PS4 is the more powerful machine and I will likely buy all my multiplats on that, unless there is a compelling reason to get the XB1 version instead (like there is with Diablo 3).

I do think it's clear cut, there's like a 50% GPU power deficit, and they're both using the same GPU cores, but at the moment, the difference is greater, so they'll reduce that.

MS IMHO dropped a clanger. I'll buy an Xbox One though, but I hope this gen is short.

Perfectly valid comments.

I think Microsoft will get more from the console, or rather developers will, as is natural over the life span of a console (a couple of fantastic examples are GTA IV compared to V, The Last of Us, Halo games and the Elder Scrolls games, all good examples of improvements visually on consoles in the same life span), however there will always remain a hardware and performance gap between the Xbox One and PlayStation 4.

I agree, I think Microsoft dropped a clanger.

Rockstar? Count how many games Rockstar have released in the last 2 years....that's why they don't have a conference. Activision probably could but tbh they don't have that many big franchises and they seem to like being used as a partner in the big 2's conferences.

CALL OF DUTY...
AND SOME MORE CALL OF DUTY :p.

As far as I know the XB1 and PS4 versions are identical. The ability to transfer my save is the main reason I'm getting the XB1 version, with the other being that my wife hates the PS4 controllers, and really likes the XB1 controllers.

The PlayStation 4 version has some exclusive content.

I only had Diablo 3 on PC, so the transfer thing is not an issue.

Yea forgot 2K, Activision i'm sure I read they are the biggest of them all.

Here are the games Activision released last year:

Call of Duty - Ghosts
Deadpool
Fast & Furious Showdown
Impact Wrestling
Skylanders Swap Force
SpongeBob SquarePants: Plankton's Robotic Revenge
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows
The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct
Angry Birds Star Wars

Four of those I've never heard of, one was a poor cash in (Walking Dead) The only one that will really appeal to an E3 audience is COD. They could probably make a segment out of Skylanders and Angry Birds but it's not enough for a conference really.

Back
Top Bottom