• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

E5200 Overclocking and performance comparison.

Man of Honour
OP
Hmmm, that's incredibly shoddy if they've capped the FPS in benchmarking mode :/
Must have been something introduced in a recent patch too, as benchmarks on websites show scores of over 77fps.

Only other possibility I can think of is if you manually benched gameplay with FRAPS or similar?

I used the built in game benchmark. Maybe the other sites know a way around the limit. I just used what was available. It took long enough to do all of that as it was.

Soldato
An excellent review patsymuncher congratulations. I found your information and comparison charts extremely informative. I am in total agreement with you regarding quad cores 1 active 2/3/4 redundant.

Persons who require a new spec or indeed a up/ downgrade of chip would benefit from reading your results & findings.

Soldato
Have now managed to get this running 4Ghz prime stable with 1.4v, wont nudge upto 4.1GHz no matter what i do. Runs far to hot though and for me going from 1.35 to 1.4v is too much of a jump for such a tiny gain, hmm then again maybe it's time for some water cooling. :D

I hit a similar issue :)

I can run mine @ 3.9ghz @ around 1.32v... at sit at 50/55c all day...
currently doing prime runs at 4.1ghz however the little bugger is under two PA120.3 now and lapped and still runs 70-72c, I just don't think he cores have very good contact with the IHS

Soldato
I hit a similar issue :)

I can run mine @ 3.9ghz @ around 1.32v... at sit at 50/55c all day...
currently doing prime runs at 4.1ghz however the little bugger is under two PA120.3 now and lapped and still runs 70-72c, I just don't think he cores have very good contact with the IHS

( Hi pnenmonic m8) Is that CPU on one loop alone or cooling NB, GC? out of interest

2 pa's cooling you may as well go ss phase m8

Soldato
just own its own (mega over kill I know) hence why I think it must be poor contact, my Q6600 was cooler than this fella at 4ghz... I have a 400ish watt TEC I have been meaning to play with am going to stick that in an have a mess about I think

Associate
Heres a dilemma for you!

On this PC I have an e4300 running at 3.2ghz. It wont go higher stable, most probably due to the motherboard, but could be the CPU's limit I guess!

Months ago I found an e5200 on special offer and seeing it had a higher multiplier and I could easily afford it, I thought why not. So I bought it. I have yet to install it though.

Now that Ive found this thread, the dilemma is this:

Should I go ahead and install the e5200 and try overclock it? Or will I not be able to achieve better performance than my 3.2ghz OC of the e4300?

I use my PC for programming and ONE game - counter strike source. I dont really play other games, and when I do Im not bothered that much about fps!

Associate
E5200 go to 3.6 easy, on the other hand if all your doing is playing CSS, is it really worth it? You could just save it for when you need a CPU or if your current one dies.

But a lot of people have their 5200s at 3.6

Associate
2 months latter & I still haven't upgraded my 2nd rig :o, been building & o/cing other rigs, anyway 1 of them is the 2nd E5200 I mentioned for my brothers PC. Specs:-

Asus P5QL Pro (Intel P43 chipset)
E5200 M0 rev, VID 1.15v
AC Freezer 7 Pro HSF
4GB OCZ DDR2 800 Titanium (CL 4-4-4-15)

At 3.1 GHz I had to increase vcore over stock.
3.6 GHz it needed 1.28125v (although that was only a 10hr+ run on OCCT).
3.7 GHz it needed 1.325v to be stable (OCCT 24hr pass).
(Voltages shown are BIOS settings not actual voltage, which for the above was 1.3v idle & 1.28v running OCCT).

I'm certain it would have gone at least a little higher however CPU temps were peaking at 63C running OCCT, & I expect the vcore needs for slightly higher speeds would be significantly more, I like to leave very wide temperature margins for hot summers etc ;).
Having said that I might take it to 3.75 GHz to see if I can get a specific RAM divider (3:4 I believe) to work at 800 MHz, it won't work with the RAM even slightly underclocked :confused:.
[edit] On 2nd thoughts I've gone for 11x336 (3.7 GHz) with RAM at 840 MHz 4-4-4-15 (avoiding the dodgy RAM divider).

Maybe I'll finally get around to upgrading my 2nd rig in the next few weeks! I hope my CPU's at least as good :p.

Last edited:
Associate
Just had a play about with an E5300, booted straight up at 4.00 with default volts (1.27) in windows, max temp 51 with real temp running orthos. Needed 1.34 to boot at 4.3 but not stable, might do a bit more tinkering but will probably leave it at 4.00 on stock volts since its in the ms's PC and its fast enough at that for farmville :).

Associate
Just had a play about with an E5300, booted straight up at 4.00 with default volts (1.27) in windows, max temp 51 with real temp running orthos. Needed 1.34 to boot at 4.3 but not stable, might do a bit more tinkering but will probably leave it at 4.00 on stock volts since its in the ms's PC and its fast enough at that for farmville :).

If thats the truth thats a great chip

Associate
image1pi.jpg

Booted at 4.4 on default volts but didn't load windows.

The board overvolts the CPU though at default it gives 1.27, for that screenshot I set it to 1.3375

Last edited:
Associate
AF7, think I have hit the sweet spot though, took another 2 voltage bumps to get to 4.5 showing 1.41v in windows, using some corsair 6400 c5 I got from the MM for £9 :D the temps are still good though so I might keep going. Might try my ballistix 5300 and see if it will run at CAS 3 on the board, the memory multis are a bit limited, 1:1 on the 1333 strap.

Back
Top Bottom