Early morning runs

Mobster
Soldato
OP
What kind of state are people in that they need 9 weeks to complete 5k? It's a 30 minute light jog....anyone that isn't disabled should be able to manage it with a modicum of determination without training.

I can't because my knee is shot, but still :)

It's about easing yourself in gradually and not injuring yourself. I'm coming from doing no exercise at all :)

Soldato
I row about 10km every morning but find it a real struggle to actually get out of bed and do it in the winter months when it's dark and cold and my garage is 3C. Once I'm doing it I enjoy it and feel better for it afterwards, but the initial getting up is hard work for me.

What kind of state are people in that they need 9 weeks to complete 5k?

That's a slow pace taking 9 weeks to do 5k! :p

Associate
I much prefer going to the gym really early, before breakfast, than any other time - that's for both weight lifting and cardio.
How do you train without food. Do you not get dizzy spells?

I prefer to use the exercise bike and weight training at home.

Caporegime
I try to get all my running in early morning. Best time because then is downstairs matter what happens in the day, what kind of fires need to be put out at work, or wife can't pick up kids etc. You've done your workout. You then also have all day to help recovery. If you can avoid slumping at a desk and try and keep some walking, stairs, a few stretches then recovery is better than an evening run then going to bed

Soldato

I was doing the same but find it difficult first thing as I seem to be more susceptible to nausea when lifting heavy early in the morning.

Light sessions or cardio are fine first thing though.

Hitman
Soldato

At first, yeah, it's harder on an empty stomach - but I've done it for 6 or so years now and find I'm much better training fasted than I am if I eat food before hand!

Soldato
What kind of state are people in that they need 9 weeks to complete 5k? It's a 30 minute light jog....anyone that isn't disabled should be able to manage it with a modicum of determination without training.

I can't because my knee is shot, but still :)

That's it, you slate people from the comfort of your own disability....

Man of Honour
That's it, you slate people from the comfort of your own disability....

Before I started running in 1999 I used to watch the local marathon & other runs and think "I can do that" I went out for my first run around late January and managed 4 minutes and spent the rest of the evening on my back. I was so proud when I reached 1 mile/10 minutes running and when I could run for 30 mins (5K) I was ecstatic but it took a while to get there.
Fair enough as soon as I reached that goal running became easier and I did do my first marathon in June 1999.

The poster is probably one of those who thinks he can walk a mile in 10 minutes at normal speed.

Soldato
The poster is probably one of those who thinks he can walk a mile in 10 minutes at normal speed.

Poster is just someone that has not exercised regularly and not looked after myself particularly for most of his adult life, but has always been able to lace on a pair of shoes and jog for 30 minutes with varying degrees of wheezing and swearing. I've never felt that was anything other than a mental challenge.

Was meant to be more of a JFDI encouragement, than slating anyone. *shrug*

Soldato
To avoid injury you should always try mix up cardio with strength and conditioning. So I have heard :)

Tbh I had problem with knee years ago but all I did was running. However since I’ve akways done circuit training, mixing up cardio with running and rowing occasionally and also weight training but only the core stuff. Never had a problem running since.

And diet. Plenty fish :)

Caporegime
Poster is just someone that has not exercised regularly and not looked after myself particularly for most of his adult life, but has always been able to lace on a pair of shoes and jog for 30 minutes with varying degrees of wheezing and swearing. I've never felt that was anything other than a mental challenge.

Was meant to be more of a JFDI encouragement, than slating anyone. *shrug*

Congratulations, you likely have decent genetics or as you've mentioned with the "most of your adult life" thing, built up to a decent level before you started letting yourself go.

JFDI can lead to injury or on the rare occasion more serious consequences for some people. Conditioning your cardiovascular system, muscles and joints at a steady pace is usually much preferred than just trying to go all out first thing, and that's coming from someone who has always pushed my self a bit further than I should have. I've now got bradyarrhythmia alongside palpitations that sometimes occur during exercise which are rather uncomfortable, and all my cardiologist can tell me is they're benign but likely brought on by more intense physical exertion.

Lastly, going straight for the goal and overexerting yourself to the point of wheezing/throwing up or whatever, usually leads to people just giving up soon after. The evidence is there for people sticking to a slower buildup and continuing on once they've reached an initial goal, rather than just pushing for it right away with no plan.

Soldato
Maybe I don't have an adequate warm up process - I avoid running too soon after getting up, due to risk of injury wth muscles etc not being warmed up after sleep (not having had to support the body weight vertically) - a google found excerpt below article which puts it more eloquently.

Usually run early evening after work, before eating; running first thing presents the dilema of wanting some nutrition, but not immediately before running. (although running post fasting burns more fat apparently - if that is what you are after)

Running in the evening, the endorphyn bonus from the run is not wasted on a frustrating commute either.

... Exercise will also feel tougher because your metabolism is lower and there is less circulating adrenaline. And your lungs will also find it harder to take in as much oxygen as they will later in the day because your airways are more constricted after a night’s sleep.

‘Injury is a real risk when you opt for an early run,’ says John Miles, lead physiotherapist for Deep Heat and head of medical science at Cardiff Blues Rugby Team. ‘An adequate warm-up is crucial, especially during the cold months. Warm up at the start, for five minutes, for every 30 minutes you plan to run.’

Your core body temperature will have lowered overnight and your body will be tight. Stretch out fully to warm up all your stiff joints, ligaments and tendons and then jog gently for several minutes to raise your body temperature.

Ideally, practise some yoga stretches as soon as you get out of bed – try cat stretches with the back arching upwards and downwards, and spinal twists.

‘Avoid scheduling your hard sessions first thing – such as efforts,’ advises Anderson. ‘Try to save these for when your body is warmed up, later in the day. However, if early is the only option, better at dawn than not at all – just ensure you warm up properly first.’

Soldato
I did an early run last week, got 3 miles out and then suddenly needed to take a dump!

Lucky I was on an old railway track, not street running. The run back was much less waddling and quite a bit lighter!

Don
I can't do runs first thing in the morning, I need to eat something first and then let that settle in my stomach before I go out. Anywhere from 9am onwards is fine though, and I definitely perform better in the morning than at the end of the day.

Man of Honour
every one starting at around 5AM and I have to say, I feel great! I'm really enjoying these early morning runs, does anyone else love to run early in the morning, or exercise early?

I do like that time of day before anyone else is up - especially if we get those summer days where you get that "cool before the heat" in the early hours of the morning it can be very tranquil.

Back
Top Bottom