Early Season Blues

Associate
OP
I am loving it. I downgraded my 6700k(really poor clocker. 1.4v for 4.5ghz) to a 6600k (really good clocker 1.3v for 4.7ghz!) and the single core performance difference is noticeable. Got it sat in a Fractal Design Mini ITX Define Nano and its a lovely little machine now over the monster sized (in comparison) h440 atx build.

I havnt had too much bother from the bios. Only got the board a couple of weeks ago so it might have an updated bios already. I should check!

You definitely dodged some issues buying it later, when I bought mine if you set XMP profile the board wouldn't even POST, then they'd fix that but M.2 drives wouldn't be recognised, the 'fix' for that would then break XMP again etc was a right mess! They'd even post new BIOS updates on the website only to pull them again a couple of days later, so obviously the board was released with major issues that should have been sorted before it went on sale. Either way, works like a charm now so will stop complaining lol

Damn, you really were unlucky in the silicon lottery first time round, the 6600k sounds very tidy though. My 6700k is running 4.6GHz @ 1.34v (iirc) on the main build but I'll leave the 6700k in this one at stock clocks, going for cooler temps rather than maxing test scores :)

Associate
OP
Right, first up sorry for the lack of updates but unfortunately the case still hasn't been delivered, so not really a lot for me to be getting on with. Still, I've made a start on some of the smaller jobs.

Cables sorted

Ol5s3i9.jpg

Primer thrown down on the GPU

C8Vvlyg.jpg

Also decided I wasn't happy with the finish on the front of the HALOS, so repainted that at the same time

DEHhRgw.jpg

Fan and GPU shroud nearly done

ag1AuLD.jpg

t8WQ5Mm.jpg

pEoFFxS.jpg

Going to add some white writing to the light blue area but still undecided on what to put. Current thinking:

EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1060
CARDIFF BLUES GTX 1060
CARDIFF BLUES 2018

Also going to add part of the Canterbury logo, in white, to the centre of the CPU fan

UItNoFq.jpg

So that should tie it all together quite nicely. Happy with how it's turning out so far anyway (ignoring my awful painting skills!) and hopefully, one day in the not too distant future, I might even have a case to put all these bits in. Until then, laters :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
ij4M3qk.png

Perfect timing! Checked before posting and the case hadn't shipped, checked again now and... It looks like we'll be building sooner than I thought :D

Associate
OP
Quick mockup of the front panel logo using plain paper. Now I just need to remake this using vinyl and backlight it... Should be fun!

hn8qZRr.jpg

With a white dust filter behind the fan vent

QbxVVpV.jpg

Super happy with how this case has turned out, the top is also stunning. Cheers Shaun @ Parvum :)

Associate
OP
Still having issues getting the case finished as the Delphinium Blue I wanted to use for the front right accent and internal rear panel is no longer available in 5mm, so onto Plan B. Now going to have to cut these panels in white, find vinyl the same colour to cover the front accent panel then use 3mm Delphinium Blue to 'skin' the inside... Why can't things ever be easy?!

So, what has been done? Well I did a bit of testing using different vinyls and different brightness EL Panels for the front panel and have settled on this, matt finish vinyl with fairly dim EL Panel. Note this was a rough test, so ignore the air bubbles and crap alignment!

Also got hold of some 3mm Delphinium and 3mm Navy which will be used to skin the inside and possibly make covers for fans etc. Pretty happy with the colour match on both :)

KNdgJye.jpg

URzpsZO.jpg

Especially when compared to my Blues jacket, it's like they based the kit on my PC build :D

6aga6th.jpg

The Navy Blue acrylic should be with Parvum this week so all panels should hopefully be here middle to end of next week, then, hopefully, it's build time!

Associate
OP
UPDATE: Its now been 144 days since I paid for the case and still no sign of it being delivered. As you can probably imagine I'm getting more than a little ****** off at this point, and am very close to sending the white panels back and scrapping this build entirely. What's even more of a shame is I was also planning a quick M-ATX build for my brothers little'un when funds improve (quick mock-up in spoiler) but that definitely won't be happening after the stress of this one as I'm very quickly falling out of love with custom PC building. Over, and quite possibly, out :(:(:(

o9qE9Aq.png

EDIT: Just realised it has taken that long for the case to arrive that the build is named "Early Season Blues", but the season has ended and the Blues have been crowned European Challenge Cup winners before the build has actually started. Guess at least part of that sentence should cheer me up!!

Last edited:
Soldato
shame, still waiting on the window panel for my Frosted case a year today - received the revised panels but nothing on the main window which was 7mm transparent and not a typical panel - so case missed going to EGX 2017 (Was going to sit next to 8 Packs) and case flatpacked off to computex this year

Associate
OP
shame, still waiting on the window panel for my Frosted case a year today - received the revised panels but nothing on the main window which was 7mm transparent and not a typical panel - so case missed going to EGX 2017 (Was going to sit next to 8 Packs) and case flatpacked off to computex this year

Damn, that's not making this sound promising mate! Remember that build well, was a stunner but it must have been gutting missing out on an opportunity to showcase it properly like that :(

Looks decent.

Thanks :) Hopefully one day I'll be able to start / finish it!

Soldato
pretty sure they were doing a cut out for the back of the board/psu chamber in the shape of the diamond logo to act as a diffuser to the naked LED lights on the back of the board- gave the go ahead but didn't get any replies afterwards :(

might get a panel cut to size myself and drill holes or do a swing door

Associate
OP
That's probably the quickest / easiest / least stressful option!

Just wish I had the ability to design the panels myself as there's bound to be companies out there willing to cut the panels if Parvum aren't interested in doing it. Could even do an aluminium / frosted acrylic hybrid then and do something a bit different. Might be time to download some new software and start learning...

Soldato
That's probably the quickest / easiest / least stressful option!

Just wish I had the ability to design the panels myself as there's bound to be companies out there willing to cut the panels if Parvum aren't interested in doing it. Could even do an aluminium / frosted acrylic hybrid then and do something a bit different. Might be time to download some new software and start learning...

mine is just a square panel so lucky on that regards :D

Soldato
Firstly - OP you have decent paint skills and good modding skills. At this stage I would take a different case and paint it in your colours. The work done looks so good so far, and the build concept is ace. Don't give up!!

Second - my girlfriend has a laser cutter and I'm starting to cut the odd bit of acrylic for PC modding. Not that I want to interfere with Parvum's business, I like their product, but I wonder if I can help you guys get your projects moving forward. It'd be good experience for me too.

Associate
OP
mine is just a square panel so lucky on that regards :D

That certainly helps, but will it be the correct size... :p

Firstly - OP you have decent paint skills and good modding skills. At this stage I would take a different case and paint it in your colours. The work done looks so good so far, and the build concept is ace. Don't give up!!

Second - my girlfriend has a laser cutter and I'm starting to cut the odd bit of acrylic for PC modding. Not that I want to interfere with Parvum's business, I like their product, but I wonder if I can help you guys get your projects moving forward. It'd be good experience for me too.

Thanks LuckyBenski, my builds are never going to be up there with the best due to lack of equipment, time and talent, but I always aim to do them to the best of my ability so hopefully this one will be salvageable. I will give it a week and see what sort of response I get from Parvum but the extra stress this is causing really isn't needed atm, so if it drags on much longer the plug will unfortunately have to be pulled :(

That's certainly of interest, I'd never rip Parvum off though so if in the future I did decide on another acrylic build it would definitely have to be a 'clean sheet' design. In the mean time I may be hassling you for a few bits and bobs for this build if you're interested. On my last build I made things like a radiator shroud with light diffuser by hand (hate the light given off by LEDs when not diffused!), but could make these a lot more accurately + interesting with a laser cutter added to the mix!

Soldato
but could make these a lot more accurately + interesting with a laser cutter added to the mix!
I recommend you have a go with some vector graphics software. I use Inkscape as it's FOSS, but Adobe Illustrator and I think MS Draw are popular. I can do technical drawing/plans and diagrams easy, so it was just a case of fiddling my way through the interface.

Mostly done bits of trim to hide cables, GPU backplates, and PSU shrouds so far. I'm learning!

Bits I've done:
https://imgur.com/a/jUlerDq

UEGm1Ub.jpg

Associate
OP
Looking good, I best get learning Inkscape! I'll send you a quick DM with any ideas for custom parts once the build has started if that's OK :)

Back
Top Bottom