Easy way to unblock a toilet?

Caporegime
OP
I honestly never had this problem before one of those "eco-flush" toilets was fitted. Not really much economy if you have to flush the toilet fifty extra times. In any case I'll give the hot bucket of water a go.

Soldato
I honestly never had this problem before one of those "eco-flush" toilets was fitted. Not really much economy if you have to flush the toilet fifty extra times. In any case I'll give the hot bucket of water a go.

Can't stand those toilets, I'll have a wee at a mates house and have to do the "little" flush about 9 times so it's not yellow.

God forbid what would happen if I chose to poo in one.

Permabanned
Would never recommend any form of plunger, almost inevitable that you are going to get a face full of something. Except a set of drain rods, because then you can stand well back :)

Man of Honour
You haven't been flushing down baby wipes have you? So many retards do this and don't know the damage they cause.

I called someone out years back for a blocked drain (further along somewhere - he used yards of rodding) and we talked about it a bit. He loved wipes of all kinds...because they provided lots of work for him. Especially the ones that say on the box that you can flush them down the loo. You can, yes, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Man of Honour
Would never recommend any form of plunger, almost inevitable that you are going to get a face full of something. Except a set of drain rods, because then you can stand well back :)

This, definitely. A plunger is likely to either fail to remove the blockage, spray you with filth or both. If you're going to plunge, you need to be able the ensure a seal between the plunger and the bowl and you're not going to get that with a mop head.

If you're going the mechanical route, a toilet auger is probably your best bet. Like pretty much anything, the right tool for the job makes it much easier. Drain rods for a drain, like bitslice says, but a toilet auger is better if the blockage is actually in the toilet. Although the blockage might well not be in the toilet - the first noticable result of a blockage in the drain is often a blocked (or partially blocked) toilet.

You could also locate the drain inspection cover (outisde, probably in your garden/yard near the outlet from the bathroom) and lift it to see if there's any sign of a blockage. If there is, it will not be pleasant. A lot of...stuff...can backlog there before the blockage causes symptoms in the toilet.

It might be easier to just call a pro to do the job.

Last thing - if you use any chemicals to try to unblock it and then call a pro out to do the job, tell them what you used. Even if it's just washing up liquid it's probably worth mentioning it, but definitely tell them if it's anything else (like the sodium hydroxide you've already tried). If you put chemicals down there and it's still blocked, those chemicals may well still be there and may pose a risk to the person unblocking the toilet.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a piece of 12mm conduit capping for the purpose of unblocking bogs.

It's flat, flexible & easily follows the contour of the bend,I have the end folded over just to give a bit more area to move obstruction.

Seriously thogh want to lift manhole outside & make sure drains aren't blocked.

Not a lover of the toilet auger, had a neighbour who rammed it down so hard, she disloged the pan connector, oh the mess, ankle deep in ****:D

Last edited:
Caporegime
yea the toilet where I moved to has a crap flush and I'm on what should be the 4th floor.
I used a friends toilet last night and the flush was atleast 4x as powerful and that's on the ground floor.....

you would think seeing as the water goes straight down it would have some extra force.... (my cistern fills to near the top to I tweaked it.. it just doesn't let the water into the bowl fast enough)

Back
Top Bottom