Easyriders Cinema Room

Associate
Very nice and shows what can be done with a reasonable amount of cash.

Projectors really do make a world of difference.

How are you storing your movies with regards to backups. I ripped all my 200+ DVDs and then lost a drive (WD Green 1.5TB lumps of rubbish). Having now ripped around 300 DVDs/Blurays and HD-DVDs I am keeping a 1-for-1 copy.

Where are you looking to go / upgrade now ?

Nice job.

RB

Associate

How are you storing your movies with regards to backups. I ripped all my 200+ DVDs and then lost a drive (WD Green 1.5TB lumps of rubbish). Having now ripped around 300 DVDs/Blurays and HD-DVDs I am keeping a 1-for-1 copy.

Nice job.

RB

What happened to the drive mate? I've got 3 WD Green 2Tb drives and use one of them as a back up of the other just in case. Not had any probs in the 12 or so months so far? You've got me worried now.. :confused:

Associate
What happened to the drive mate? I've got 3 WD Green 2Tb drives and use one of them as a back up of the other just in case. Not had any probs in the 12 or so months so far? You've got me worried now.. :confused:

I have 2*WD 2TB green and have had no problems with them so I wouldn't worry.

I have had 5*1.5TB WD Greens and all have been RMA'd with drive failures due to bad sectors.

They came from different batches, different suppliers at different times with different revision numbers.

I now use 1TB WD Blacks for my on-line raid and WD Green 2TB for archive.

RB

Caporegime
OP

Nice job.

RB

Windows Home Server has Duplication within the storage pool...I backup all HD movies of the family kids etc...to external drives aswell as duplication within the pool and run duplication on the Videos, Photos, Music shares.

Not sure on the next upgrade..I'm happy with the current setup. :)

Associate
Windows Home Server has Duplication within the storage pool...I backup all HD movies of the family kids etc...to external drives aswell as duplication within the pool and run duplication on the Videos, Photos, Music shares.

Nice, so what do you end up with out of the 12GB storage as usable for non-backup (ie. live data) ?

Not sure on the next upgrade..I'm happy with the current setup. :)

Nice place to be. I am more or less the same give or take an antimode 8033 for the sub.

RB

Associate
Phew! Nice one mate. Hate to think I'd lose all that data and have to spend another year re-ripping 600+ DVD's! Gulp........... ;)

Yeah, I am sure you could imagine my face after 5 days ripping dvds to find I'd lost them all.....

The 2TBs seem good and sturdy. Not sure what went wrong with the 1.5TB greens but would not touch them at all now.

RB

Caporegime
OP
Nice, so what do you end up with out of the 12GB storage as usable for non-backup (ie. live data) ?

RB

Its growing all the time...There is currently 2TB free...If I run low I just add another drive to the storage pool and the pool would increse to 14TB with 4TB free if I was to add another 2TB drive.

Associate
Its growing all the time...There is currently 2TB free...If I run low I just add another drive to the storage pool and the pool would increse to 14TB with 4TB free if I was to add another 2TB drive.

Sure, I am just wondering where the space used for backups is accounted for.

What is the ratio for live to backup space ?. 1:1 ro 1:small amount for parity etc.

RB

Associate
I dunno I let WHS server deal with that :p

The Really important stuff is backed up to USB external drives too.

Haha, fair enough. Using Fedora for my media server so was just interested in the differences.

Yeah, I have three copies of the important stuff like family photos as well.

Nice job, hopefully it will inspire others to join the home cinema club :D.

RB

Associate
Cool

How easy was that to setup?

Well I started with CentOS and as that could not handle the new advanced format drives it was a nightmare. Then finding the WD Greens were really no good in a Raid 5 array (or any array by reports on the internet) added more hardship. Problems sourcing the right hardware for the server so I could connect all 20 bays and a few false starts also didn't help but it is all more or less sorted now.

Fedora 14 was easy enough. Straight install and then just setup samba via the GUI and sort out Selinux tagging or it will disable all access to the shares after it detects a possible intrusion..... That is really a bit of a pain but once you have tagged a drive correctly it is fine.

I chose Linux as I can script backups and a few other things although it is still pretty manual at the moment. I will also move on to NFS when I can get a client for the Win7 PC.

The Fedora server is running as good as gold though. Give or take the SeLinux security 'features' I have had no issues and even use FreeNX to remote desktop to it from Windows or use a telnet app from my phone if need be.

The big plus for me though is that if the OS dies / gets corrupted etc, I can just transport the drives into another machine running Fedora / Redhat and possibly even Debian (Unbuntu etc) and the drives should work without any data loss inc the raid array.

Having had problems with tagging drives in Windows and not being able to easily move them from machine to machine I have steered clear although it seems lots like the drive pool in WHS :D.

Oh my job is working on Solaris boxes so Linux is a pretty obvious choice for me.

RB

Caporegime
OP
Well I started with CentOS and as that could not handle the new advanced format drives it was a nightmare. Then finding the WD Greens were really no good in a Raid 5 array (or any array by reports on the internet) added more hardship. Problems sourcing the right hardware for the server so I could connect all 20 bays and a few false starts also didn't help but it is all more or less sorted now.

Fedora 14 was easy enough. Straight install and then just setup samba via the GUI and sort out Selinux tagging or it will disable all access to the shares after it detects a possible intrusion..... That is really a bit of a pain but once you have tagged a drive correctly it is fine.

I chose Linux as I can script backups and a few other things although it is still pretty manual at the moment. I will also move on to NFS when I can get a client for the Win7 PC.

The Fedora server is running as good as gold though. Give or take the SeLinux security 'features' I have had no issues and even use FreeNX to remote desktop to it from Windows or use a telnet app from my phone if need be.

The big plus for me though is that if the OS dies / gets corrupted etc, I can just transport the drives into another machine running Fedora / Redhat and possibly even Debian (Unbuntu etc) and the drives should work without any data loss inc the raid array.

Having had problems with tagging drives in Windows and not being able to easily move them from machine to machine I have steered clear although it seems lots like the drive pool in WHS :D.

Oh my job is working on Solaris boxes so Linux is a pretty obvious choice for me.

RB

Cool:cool:

Associate
Have looked at Unraid but I don't need on the fly redundancy. It is a home server so being down for a rebuild for a couple of days is no big hassle. I can use my more expensive faster disks for the live area and my cheaper green high capacity disks for the archive. I also have full control over what I want to do with the server, not just what is compatible with Unraid. I have a 20 bay Norco 4220 case with only half the bays filled so don't have to worry about running out of slots just yet.

Good thread on AV forums from Smurf monster and his 40TB Unraid server build here. Lots of good info on the Lime tech forums on multi TB servers for Unraid here. If you like server builds then check both of the above out.

Oh and it seems (see smurf monsters thread) WHS uses mirroring which is great for redundancy but cuts the storage available by 50% on the 'live' pool as the rest is used for backup.

RB

Back
Top Bottom