• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Easy's C2D 6400 Clock

Soldato
Big.Wayne said:
the definition of 'normal' people is interesting though?

Anyone who's not posting on here about at least 2 different types of motherboard, and doesn't know the release date of the Thermalright 120 Ultra-Extreme :D

Big.Wayne said:
But back to what you just said, in earnest I think anyone who destroys hardware needs to rethink what it is there trying to achieve.

I don't destroy stuff often - but when I do, I'm usually tired or just thinking "I'm sure it's got a fraction more in it yet".

Big.Wayne said:
IMHO overclocking is about 'performance tuning' a computer to get more speed out of it, this is done instead of just paying out more money for the superior stock product from the outset.

Although to get a nice overclock it does help if you have a decent PSU and also some decent cooling (nice heatsink, good case etc). So in most examples one is able to take the cheaper product and tweak it up a few speed grades (take a e6300 and get it running the same speed as a e6600 kinda), but then why stop there? I know its always my aim to achieve an overclock that is faster than the most expensive proessor in the same class.

WJA96 have a think about it, its really not a sensible thing to keep breaking so much hardware but its your time and its your money, maybe you should look into origami as a new hobby, you could make cool paper planes from £20/£50 notes and see how far they could fly when launched from a tall building ;) :p

Unless you are trying to compete with the best overclockers in the world and get your name at No.1 in the Orb chart your really gonna have to explain why you would destroy hardware in the pursuit of a little extra speed?

I'm not expressing myself correctly. When someone asks a question isn't it reasonable to try and answer it? If the question is how hard can I clock this RAM and do I need active cooling to do so - there is only one way to find that out. I get really annoyed when people who have no actual experience of equipment try to offer advice based on reviews. I couldn't do that - so I buy the kit, test it myself, learn as much as I can about it and move on. If I can sell it for good money, so much the better. If I take a 33% hit on a £150 motherboard, it's not so bad. I could go out and get drunk and no-one would bat an eyelid as I literally urinated away £50 in a few hours. But lose £50 on an £150 motherboard and you think I've lost the plot apparently. I know people who spend £300 - £800 per month on eating out and going to clubs and no-one thinks anything of it at all. That's their choice, this is mine.

The next time you or someone else asks a question and I answer it, that's why. And if the question at hand involves pushing a component to the limit, I'm quite prepared to do it, so others don't make my mistakes again. It almost sounds noble (but I'm actually just having fun!)

Caporegime
OP
Well in all my experience clocking chips and mobos and ram and gfx cards I can safely say I have never killed anything.

(runs off to the dining room to touch wood) :D

This of course might change when I use phase but some people like to push their hardware.

1.575v is hardly hardcore for a C2D under water.

In fact its not high at all.

Soldato
WJA96 said:
I've lost the plot
Thanks for the well written answer although I was hoping for a bit of latin or similar :)

Its an interesting experience posting on these forums, there is such a broad cross-section of people I like to understand what floats there boat.

I had an epiphany a few years ago, I had just discovered the delights of lapping so there I was on a staurday night lapping down some heatsinks and my mate popped round with his girlfriend and another nice girl and they tried to drag me out to a party, of course I refused and they went off and sat there by myself rubbing this BGA ramsink against some fine grit sandpaper and I thought to myself "what the **** am I doing?" :D

I commend you for dishing out advice based on actual experience although at times I can see you become quite frustrated when someone doesn't listen to you.

I think its fair to assume that a lot of the hardcore posters here are a bit 'obsessed' and just get a little too involved in their hardware, I suppose it doesn't do any harm I mean there not hurting anyone else but I wonder if its a case of they 'can't see the wood for the trees'

I try and shift through many hundreds of posts and extract the good info, I appreciate it whenever someone makes a good post full of images and concise information . . . . The best posts are about the hardware, what it can do, the variables etc . . . . the bad posts are about the person and their great skills rather than the hardware :D

If I am to be completely honest, the faster my computer becomes the less 'productive' I become with it. The people I know that are the most productive are all using really old computers (PIII, AthonXP, P4 etc) and their just bang out creative work all day (Video Editing, Photoshop etc), so I have been just 'rationalising' what it is that I (and others here) are actually achieving?

Soldato
easyrider said:
Well in all my experience clocking chips and mobos and ram and gfx cards I can safely say I have never killed anything.
Easy, how long have you been overclocking? because I never heard of you until about 3 pages into the Opteron 170 overclocking thread? (and yes we hit it off straight away! :p )

Was the Opteron 170 your first overclock? did you build computers much before that?

Tell us a little about yourself?

Cob

Cob

Soldato
Big.Wayne said:
I think its fair to assume that a lot of the hardcore posters here are a bit 'obsessed' and just get a little too involved in their hardware, I suppose it doesn't do any harm I mean there not hurting anyone else but I wonder if its a case of they 'can't see the wood for the trees'

Are you calling them geeks :eek:

:D

Caporegime
OP
Right enough is enough.

wanye, You lack consistency.

You post in my 4300 thread about your clocks and yet claim you dont void warranty and push hardware in the same post.

This goes on,

You talk of lapping etc...

Which in all essence invalidates warranty.

Seems to me that you like to clock and dis people who get better clocks than yourself.

As regard to my opty 170 overclocking...

I dissed you then and many others when you came up with the idea of quad prime for dual cores :D

Stating it was the upmost test of stabilty.

When what you were doing was making a fool of yourself.

I don't see what the problem is TBH

I have a chip,Iwanna max it out.

Its thats simple.

Finance and safety don't come into the same equation

If it did we would all be running C2D @ 3ghz on stock voltage.

Soldato
easyrider said:
Right enough is enough.
?
easyrider said:
wanye, You lack consistency
Thats rich coming from you.
easyrider said:
You post in my 4300 thread about your clocks
Your e4300 thread? huh? was I meant to ask permission or something? well else was I meant to post the e4300 results I had?
easyrider said:
claim you dont void warranty and push hardware in the same post
I think your twisting my words there? I didn't mention warranty once and I never said I didn't push hardware? I said I never broke any hardware by taking big risks over small gains? funny how someone can read something so wrong?
easyrider said:
You talk of lapping etc...

Which in all essence invalidates warranty
Really? what are you saying that if I lap a 3rd party heatsink I invalidate the warranty of the heatsink? scarey :eek:
easyrider said:
Seems to me that you like to clock and dis people who get better clocks than yourself
Really? thats a very weird thing to say?

easyrider said:
I dissed you then and many others when you came up with the idea of quad prime for dual cores :D
Yeah what a mad idea huh, I bet there was no doubt in your mind that the overclock results I was presenting were stable right? I mean if an overclocked dual-core can quad prime for 24 hours you know that clock is stable.

easyrider said:
When what you were doing was making a fool of yourself
What? you mean I have to be really really serious all the time? lighten up guy, have a kit kat or something?

easyrider said:
I don't see what the problem is TBH
Nor do I? what are you reffering to?

easyrider said:
I have a chip,Iwanna max it out
ok? what happens after you max it out? what do you do next?
easyrider said:
Finance and safety don't come into the same equation
Uh??????????
easyrider said:
If it did we would all be running C2D @ 3ghz on stock voltage.
Are you refering to the post where I asked why people would break there hardware in the pursuit of speed?
I mean like do you think it would be cool to say "Yeah I had a nice Conroe chip that could do 4.2GHz! but I bust it!"?

Soldato
I'm out. I don't mind a bit of friendly banter or even a decent argumentative discussion, but when the start bitch-slapping starts I think it should get moved to General Discussion. And I don't go in there as there is enough aggro in the world without going looking for it.

Caporegime
OP
WJA96 said:
I'm out. I don't mind a bit of friendly banter or even a decent argumentative discussion, but when the start bitch-slapping starts I think it should get moved to General Discussion. And I don't go in there as there is enough aggro in the world without going looking for it.

Me too.

Certain people like to thread trash and the burn in thread in overclocking and cooling is going the same way due to certain people :rolleyes:

I mean good gosh lets not talk about maxing out hardware in a overclocking forum?

That would be silly wouldn't it.

Soldato
WJA96 said:
No, I've got an eprom programmer so I can flash my own chips. £35 from the 'bay.

I've got one somewhere.. wish i could find it. Haven't got any similar boards around to do a hotflash, gonna carry home a Celeron D and PIV 630 from work today anyhow, the olllldddd BIOS should support it. Failing the old BIOS not unlocking the vcore options for me i'm gonna test with a non ES chip, failing that i've prepared a BIOS with the Intel developers toolkit that can set those options manually though that did'nt work before, might do with an older BIOS. Haven't heard of the new 975xbx 1 BIOS locking vcore but hope its as simple as that.

Associate
this is my 6400
DSCN3078.JPG

I have been running it at 1.63v at 3.8 since the end on january without any issues.

I will boot into windows and run superpi over 4 gig but fails orthos, even at 1.7 v. i have not looked to far into if this is the motherboard or chips limitation at the moment but I have not had any real stability over 3.8 gig.

The longest I have run orthos is about 6 hours as my machine is in my bedroom. Perhaps I will look into thi sa bit more after I have my phase unit upgraded over the next few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom