• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Easy's C2D 6400 Clock

Soldato
easyrider said:
G Skill HZ 6400 running 950MHZ 1:1 at 5,5,5,15
what vDimm you using for that? and is that your old kit from nearly a year ago?

Can you get 4-4-4-12 or 3-3-3-8 out of em? I say that because the Crucial I have is doing DDR2-800 4-4-4-12 at 1.8vDimm and maybe when I get time I can try for 3-3-3-8? (with some more volts).

You always used to grumble about slack timings? ;)

Caporegime
OP
Big.Wayne said:
what vDimm you using for that? and is that your old kit from nearly a year ago?

Can you get 4-4-4-12 or 3-3-3-8 out of em? I say that because the Crucial I have is doing DDR2-800 4-4-4-12 at 1.8vDimm and maybe when I get time I can try for 3-3-3-8? (with some more volts).

You always used to grumble about slack timings? ;)

2.25v

They are good for 900 mhz @ 4,4,4,12 timings but the difference is so small its better to have them running faster @ 5,5,5,15.

especially with the higher clocks speeds.

Soldato
easyrider said:
I still didn't use that high vDimm, except for 3-3-3-8 DDR2-800. Do your stick get warm/hot etc?
easyrider said:
They are good for 900 mhz @ 4,4,4,12 timings but the difference is so small its better to have them running faster @ 5,5,5,15.
Are you meaning when they are running at a higher MHz?

So 450MHz 5-5-5-15 beats 400MHz 4-4-4-12?

Would be good to see a 'memory' benchie of that pls. . .

Caporegime
OP
Big.Wayne said:
I still didn't use that high vDimm, except for 3-3-3-8 DDR2-800. Do your stick get warm/hot etc?
Are you meaning when they are running at a higher MHz?

So 450MHz 5-5-5-15 beats 400MHz 4-4-4-12?

Would be good to see a 'memory' benchie of that pls. . .

My ram is good for 1200mhz @ 5,5,5,15 this is indeed better than 900 mhz at 4,4,4,12

Caporegime
OP
Big.Wayne said:
Got a new board Minstadave? what happened to your P5N-E?

Do you think 1.575vCore is a 24/7 setting guys?

Yes.

At 125 quid I doubt I will kill it with full load temps of 64c orthos.

The cpu will never be stressed that much for that long and is perfectly ok.

If I kill it in 18 months ....who cares its a throw away chip.

I will have another cpu then anyway.

Soldato
Big.Wayne said:

I was always under the impression that the issue wasn't actually voltage, it was heat. If Easyrider is happy enough with 64C (and that's well inside the Thermal tolerance of the CPU) then why not?

And then there is always the "If you can't afford to kill the CPU, don't clock it" argument as well. I don't overclock my work PC at all. And not just because it's a Dell :o

Caporegime
Big.Wayne said:
Got a new board Minstadave? what happened to your P5N-E?

I'm having a play with a DS4 I got for a nice price. Its a nice board, I can do 3.6 stable like the p5n-e but the caps squeal like mad :D

Soldato
Big.Wayne said:
WJA96 said:
I was always under the impression that the issue wasn't actually voltage, it was heat. If Easyrider is happy enough with 64C (and that's well inside the Thermal tolerance of the CPU) then why not?
I was asking in general if people though that 1.575v is a 24/7 situation? I wasn't asking Easyrider if he was happy with that?

Yeah I was under the general impression that its the heat you gotta watch over the volts but actually volts can kill regardless of heat (electromigration). I mean look how many Vapour-users have killed their chips in the past? . . . . Oh wait they put that down to condensation, nothing to do with the fact that they are shoving a horrendous amount of vCore through the hardware :rolleyes:

WJA96 said:
And then there is always the "If you can't afford to kill the CPU, don't clock it" argument as well.
Well I'm somewhere in the middle, I mean I will always overclock a CPU/Memory a moderate amount but I'm not prepared to kill a chip, sorry I can't agree that something costing £100 can be described as 'throw away'. I weigh up risk vs possible extra performance and I pay a lot of attention to the risk factor. As an example I have never been tempted to remove an IHS from a CPU as the risk is high and the extra performance doesn't justify that in my books.

I remember reading an article about people who compete to get the highest 3D-Mark and its quite commonplace for them to destroy the CPU or graphics in the process lol :eek: (clearly not the kinda people I am interested in taking advice from right!).

aannnyyyway, I was just asking what people thought of 1.575v on a Conroe as 24/7 voltages, pretty simple question really :)

Minstadave said:
I'm having a play with a DS4 I got for a nice price. Its a nice board, I can do 3.6 stable like the p5n-e but the caps squeal like mad :D
Oh, the caps squeal on the DS4? is that a permanent scenario? like does it do that all the time or only when its under load? also is that squealing a natural process for some caps and will wear off after a duration?

Crikey, on your second mobo already Dave, P5N-E and now a DS4, hope u did get a good price because you could have bought a P5B-Deluxe already, I will be happy when u get that board :cool:

Soldato
WJA96 said:

And then there is always the "If you can't afford to kill the CPU, don't clock it" argument as well. I don't overclock my work PC at all. And not just because it's a Dell :o

I always overclock my stuff - but i only have it running 24/7 at the highest it will go on stock volts - which for my E6300 is 3010Mhz. It can do 3.2Ghz but needs more juice to do it so only really ran at that speed for benching :)

Soldato
Big.Wayne said:
I was asking in general if people though that 1.575v is a 24/7 situation? I wasn't asking Easyrider if he was happy with that?

I think the fact that I think it is is clearly implied in my answer. For the hard of learning amongst us;

Yes, as long as you have good cooling.

Big.Wayne said:
Well I'm somewhere in the middle, I mean I will always overclock a CPU/Memory a moderate amount but I'm not prepared to kill a chip, sorry I can't agree that something costing £100 can be described as 'throw away'. I weigh up risk vs possible extra performance and I pay a lot of attention to the risk factor. As an example I have never been tempted to remove an IHS from a CPU as the risk is high and the extra performance doesn't justify that in my books.

I completely destroyed a P5N-E SLi the first attempt at hard-volt-modding it. My mistake, my loss, I got it right the second time (actually I got someone who knew what they were doing to do it with the right kit). I've had 17 motherboards since my original Abit AW9 demo board and ES Core2Duo and I've probably lost £10-£50 on each of them. But I've tried them, used them and I even kept some. I probably spend £4000-£6000 of my own money on computer kit each year and I doubt I get 60% of that back when I trade the stuff on, so in the great scheme of things blowing up a £100 CPU isn't a huge deal, but I wouldn't do it if it was avoidable, just on principal.

Big.Wayne said:
I remember reading an article about people who compete to get the highest 3D-Mark and its quite commonplace for them to destroy the CPU or graphics in the process lol :eek: (clearly not the kinda people I am interested in taking advice from right!).

Yes, but you clearly want to know where the limits are, or you wouldn't be asking the question. Unless people go to those limits, we'll never know where they are.

I have personally damaged beyond repair at least 1 CPU (fitted it wrong! :o ), 5 or 6 motherboards (including at least one VERY expensive one) and two graphics cards (luckily not that expensive and very second-hand). The three shops I buy stuff from very rarely get stuff returned 'broken' because if I break it I don't take it back, unlike a lot of people. Oddly enough, I don't have a lot of trouble when I do take things back that were DOA.

Big.Wayne said:
aannnyyyway, I was just asking what people thought of 1.575v on a Conroe as 24/7 voltages, pretty simple question really :)

écoutez et répéter

Yes, as long as you have good cooling.

Soldato
MeatLoaf said:
I always overclock my stuff - but i only have it running 24/7 at the highest it will go on stock volts - which for my E6300 is 3010Mhz. It can do 3.2Ghz but needs more juice to do it so only really ran at that speed for benching :)

That's perfectly reasonable. The highest voltage I have set in BIOS and running 24/7 is 1.45V but I have tried running 1.7V on an E6600. It didn't actually help :rolleyes: but I had to try.

Soldato
WJA96 said:
I completely destroyed a P5N-E SLi the first attempt at hard-volt-modding it.
Whats the point?

WJA96 said:
I've had 17 motherboards since my original Abit AW9 demo board and ES Core2Duo and I've probably lost £10-£50 on each of them. But I've tried them, used them and I even kept some. I probably spend £4000-£6000 of my own money on computer kit each year and I doubt I get 60% of that back when I trade the stuff on, so in the great scheme of things blowing up a £100 CPU isn't a huge deal, but I wouldn't do it if it was avoidable, just on principal
:eek:

Soldato
WJA96 said:
The point is that some of us (including you, I suspect) want to go a bit further than 'normal' people
Can't argue with that bit, the definition of 'normal' people is interesting though? :p

WJA96 said:
and that means sometimes you blow things up, or solder the wrong things together.
No I 100% don't agree with you on that point, I've never destroyed or damaged a single piece of hardware in my career, hmm no wait a sec I must fess up that back in 1996 I did blow up a PSU by changing the voltage slider on the back from 240v to whatever the other one is (while it was on!), lol yes it went bang and I thought "Ok that was dumb!" haha :D

But back to what you just said, in earnest I think anyone who destroys hardware needs to rethink what it is there trying to achieve.

IMHO overclocking is about 'performance tuning' a computer to get more speed out of it, this is done instead of just paying out more money for the superior stock product from the outset.

Although to get a nice overclock it does help if you have a decent PSU and also some decent cooling (nice heatsink, good case etc). So in most examples one is able to take the cheaper product and tweak it up a few speed grades (take a e6300 and get it running the same speed as a e6600 kinda), but then why stop there? I know its always my aim to achieve an overclock that is faster than the most expensive proessor in the same class.

WJA96 have a think about it, its really not a sensible thing to keep breaking so much hardware but its your time and its your money, maybe you should look into origami as a new hobby, you could make cool paper planes from £20/£50 notes and see how far they could fly when launched from a tall building ;) :p

Unless you are trying to compete with the best overclockers in the world and get your name at No.1 in the Orb chart your really gonna have to explain why you would destroy hardware in the pursuit of a little extra speed?

Back
Top Bottom