[Einstein@home] News Q4 2015

Soldato
Anyone noticed the figures for yesterday?? mental...and then todays figures too...even more mental!! :)

Still cant get open cl to run on these 6970 cards :( others had problems too...driver issue.

PDW

PDW

Associate
Yes, production seems to have increased since derk went to work... :p

I just looked and saw you had managed to get some OpenCL tasks to download, they running okay on your 6970's now ?

My Fire tablet takes 15 hours and 20 minutes to run a task for 62.5 points, so a PPD of about 390 for all 4 cores !

Soldato
pc keeps freezing up not bionocs causing it though....1 step forward two back....

it was running multiple units as its using the same setting as for my main pc but it crashes with bionics running.

Hoping they will be worth the hassle....sure will chuck out a lot of extra heat compared to the 980 lol.

Associate
pc keeps freezing up not bionocs causing it though....1 step forward two back....

it was running multiple units as its using the same setting as for my main pc but it crashes with bionics running.

Hoping they will be worth the hassle....sure will chuck out a lot of extra heat compared to the 980 lol.

Is it the gpu causing the crashes? I've finally sorted the issues I had with my 980ti crashing all the time, I created separate settings for "home" and "work" computers, left my 960 running 2 simultaneous tasks quite happily (set as "home" PC) and now have my 980ti running just one task at a time (set as "work" PC) and after 24+ hrs it hasn't crashed once.

Soldato
crossed wires i think...its my 2nd rig with the 6970 in and main with 980ti and that one works fine BUT i did have problems with the 980ti driver crashing...upgraded to the newer one and problems went away.

Running a few more then 1 on the 980ti though :)

meh its a driver problem...grrr now remember why i went back to green....

noob here so how do i get 2nd pc on a different profile so i can have it only doing 1 or 2 units?

Last edited:
Associate
noob here so how do i get 2nd pc on a different profile so i can have it only doing 1 or 2 units?

Go to your account page in einstein then click on einstein preferences, edit preferences and add a home/work/school profile.

Once done go to your computers on the einstein site and click on "details" next to the PC you want to change onto the home/work/school profile and select the dropbox for Location and change it accordingly.

Then in the boinc client on the pc click on "update" or "reset project" if you want to purge any exisiting tasks

Soldato
thanks currob :)

up and running with the 6970s now...looking like about 3hrs to do a wu each thouh...guessing they wont be able to take multiple units like the 980ti?

currob how long is a single wu taking on the 980ti? is it overclocked at all? what driver are you using?

Last edited:
Associate
thanks currob :)

up and running with the 6970s now...looking like about 3hrs to do a wu each thouh...guessing they wont be able to take multiple units like the 980ti?

currob how long is a single wu taking on the 980ti? is it overclocked at all? what driver are you using?

I'm on 358.91 , core clock 1404MHz and wu taking 51mins

My 980ti won't run multiple wu's though, tried with several different driver versions but crashes constantly with more than 1 wu :(

Soldato
Something not right there then...have you tried running at stock speed?

running driver 359.06 myself and all fine...was on that driver and was getting constant driver crashes also...worth changing to see? :)

Running 10 on mine and taking about 25,000 seconds to do them though some are nearer the 30K with cpu maxing out about 90% usage.

Thinking i am running too many but the maths works out though not by much.

Associate
It's the zotac amp extreme so that's the default clock speed, i've reduced it by the max afterburner allows and also reduced the power limits etc... but same issue, it runs games with no probs so cant really rma it, i had a very rare gaming day the other weekend, ran witcher 3 maxed out for 14hrs no probs. The latest driver you're now using i haven't yet tried yet, will give it a shot tomorrow. How have you managed to run 10? setting as 0.1?

Soldato
just the normal zotac i have but at 1360 on the core.

Runs 10 no problem...yes setting at 0.1. Worked my way up from 2 and watched the times and seems to pay.

Def sounds like a driver issue...hope it works for you :)

Last edited:

PDW

PDW

Associate
Would guess you would be limited by how many cpu cores you could assign to feed the gpu.

However you need to find the sweet spot where you get the highest PPD. You might be able to run 20 at a time but overall would take longer than doing two lots of 10 so your PPD would drop.

Some AMD cards will only reliably run 1 at a time though :(

Associate
3 Miiiiiiiiillllllliiiiiiioooooonnnnn:cool:

My 7970/280x cards will run 3 wu's with no problem but my r9-290/x and any 390 class cards should only run 1 as you get invalid results with any more.

Back
Top Bottom