EK Quantum Kinetic FLT Evolv'd

Soldato
OP
Ahh awesome! I think I've got real lucky with mine. I can boot up into windows at 5.4. Voltage 1.4 but ofc blue screens shortly after a benchmark puts on the load. All with just using a H100i at the time.

5.3 I can get away with benching on some tests. I'm sure with a decent cooler I could probably get some decent numbers.

Look forward to seeing the photos!
Sounds like you have mate, i don't think i can even get close to that with my chip lol. I could probably hit 5.2 but not worth the extra heat output, if you can hold 5.3 at low voltage you'll definitely have won the silicon lottery there mate. Get a decent watercooling setup and use liquid metal and you should see good temps with a very high core clock.

Soldato
OP
It's done! Finally tonight, managed to invert the impeller and put it in a test loop to clarify it actually works before putting it back into the system. Did a short video to demonstrate the loop from outlet to bykski flowmeter to inlet back into the pump/res, the flow meter shows the correct readings and no Alarm is shown.

With this sorted, i've rebuilt everything back up and... you know took some pics :D

52geR4l.jpg

xaaSrWB.jpg

r0zk5xC.jpg

gfeLwFa.jpg

eTok7v5.jpg

rSPU19L.jpg

SMSnnN9.jpg

pOgoqPP.jpg

04MN24f.jpg

Next update will be when Aquacomputer release a block for this card or a 3080 that i might still get. The Kryographics NEXT generation blocks are something that i really want to own :p

Soldato
OP
Now they are very nice..

23685.jpg
Proper juicy that or what?! I've been told by Aquacomputer they are expecting stock in 3 weeks or so if i preorder now... do i or do i not? :rolleyes:

Looks very nice.

Congrats again on the great pictures.
Thanks mate! got a few custom bits to do that i've been planning including 2 x 80mm silent wing fans to mount to the rear, not sure if it will do anything but i feel the void needs filling.

Soldato
OP
Great build! I love how both cpu and gpu have their separate water systems. Exactly how I would want to mine to be cooled.

Very recently purchased a 500dx bequiet case from having a corsair 570x, also gone from a H100i cooler to a bequiet dark slim air cooler, utilising their silent wing fans. I love how my PC is a lot quieter now (my 1080ti aorus xtreme fans letting the side down atm). I hate having a loud PC.

Can I ask, how quiet is your build being the way it is and what sort of temps under load? I know that may sound silly, but I've been thinking of having a proper water cooled setup for a while now, and having decent temps whilst keeping the noise to almost silence is hugely important to what I ultimately want.

Its really good to have a dual loop being able to monitor and adjust temps for both loops to suit whatever work load i am doing. It's just very expensive as you're effectively buying 2 watercooling systems, spending nearly double the money. If money isn't an issue though its a very satisfying thing to do, the end result speaks for itself.

Did you find the pump on the H100i noisy? I always fine pump noise on AIO coolers (asetek ones) very loud for some reason. The D5 has adjustability via software or on the back of the unit if you get the Vario version, normally have it between 3-4 setting for minimal noise which pushes coolant around 1.3L/minute. Would i say its quiet? Yes it is but underload due to the RTX3090 being such a mammoth of a card to cool, i have to run the fans around 70% to keep it under 55c. I could smooth out the fan curve some more down to 55-60% but i feel temps creep upto 58c, whereas i rather keep temps under 55c if i can.

Under general workload though, its a very quiet system, you barely notice its on as its so quiet.

Soldato
OP
That's good to know mate thanks! I'll have to add some products into the basket with what I have in mind and weigh up the cost, but yes ideally having 2 separate watercooling systems is how I would ultimately want my setup to be. On a side note, would you say that needing your fans to run a bit harder for the GPU to remain at 55c be because the rad is bottom mounted and therefore struggles that bit more to pull air through, than say if it's top mounted? Or would it not make much of a difference?

Regarding my H100i, yes it did start to develop a low weird pitch sound even when I put it in quiet mode. The average person wouldn't notice it, but you know what it's like when it's your own system, you end up hearing and spotting every thing lol. When I first bought it, it originally went into my first M-Atx build in the corsair 280x case and it was top mounted. Same CPU then as I have now. No issues, all working fine. Went to the 570x case, front mounted ... absolutely fine (except this noise started to develop few months in). I very recently top mounted it in my Bequiet case to experiment with fitment, and to my surprise the rad was heat soaking massively. No matter what I did, fans pushing/pulling, remount/repaste etc the temps would be worse in games such as BFV than it would my Dark Slim air cooler. Temps were mid 80's and sometimes see the 90's in BFV. Clearly not right, where as before when it was front mounted in my 570x, mid 60's in BFV. It's like the pump is weakening and struggled to pump properly when I top mounted it. I'd jump out the game and go straight into Aida 64, blue screen. Definitely not right lol.

Sorry for the essay but hence why I want to finally fulfill my goal and go full custom water. Stumbling across your build has given me the kick I need lol!
Don't forget that running a dual loop will save you time when you come to swap out components as well, if you decided to just keep 1 component under water while you waited for a block for say the gpu or the cpu then you can without having to do new bends or reroute lines.
I'd say my issue was more down to the fact that im running a ultra slim 20mm thick radiator. I believe if i ran a much thicker 50mm or larger radiator i would be able to dissipate much more heat at a much lower rpm. But unfortunately running vertically only allows for a 20mm thick radiator max unless i upgrade to the XL version of this case.

I totally understand that haha, the low humming or buzzing sounds really get to me so i investigate and try eliminate them as soon as i can... usually resulting in spending more cash lol. Sounds like the pump was on its last legs, going to the aircooler as a stand in while you work out your loop is a good option and easy to maintain. That's something im missing if it was ever to develop a fault lol...

If you need help with your loop feel free to give me a shout in here, i will do what i can to help :). It can be pretty daunting at first but its really enjoyable and therapeutic once you get into it.

Soldato
OP
Good point!! I could start getting bits together now at least for my CPU as I'm not swapping that anytime soon, that way at least one loop is complete. At least while I wait for my 3080 to arrive next year probably lol. Unless EK still sell blocks for a 1080ti hmmm ...

Ahh the thinness of the rad I guess makes sense, especially cooling a 3090 haha.

Thanks mate I'll definitely take you up on that offer as it would be my first custom water build. I was looking at the Lian Li cases as an option before I decided on the 500dx, the O11 XL being one of them but decided it was overkill for my current build, I just prioritised airflow and less noise for now. But it's a good job I enjoy builds and don't mind starting again... again lol!

I do have 1 question, albeit probably silly, but does vertically mounting the GPU have any functional/cooling benefit in a custom loop over horizontal?

Thanks again
I may try a horizontal mount with a 50-60mm rad and see how i go with that, i can imagine temps will be under or around 45c. Something i may test in the future but i will lose the aesthetics of vertically mounting the gpu, which is a big thing for me.

Anytime mate, you know where to fine me :)

wow that is so colourful i love it !

I wanted to make my new pc all white but i love all the different colours !
wow i didnt see the pictures on the second page those pictures are really cool ! im saving those pictures if i may? thankyou !
With colours its always a trial and error unless you're good at rendering and know what you want.

Sure mate, i don't mind :D

Soldato
OP
im not a big fan of the rgb all the things trend but i have only seen people cycling through colours all in sync

it looks really nice setting different things to different static colours

my mind has been opened ! :)
Yeah im not a huge fan of all the rainbow colours, its too much for me. I prefer this static look with abit of effect, suits certain builds much better imo.

Soldato
OP
Sweet looking forward to the update and seeing the differences in the temps.

I was on the EK website the other night and they were basically saying that having a larger but thinner rad (their SE 25mm version) compared to their thicker rads, meant it was easier for the rads to dispel the heat away and not needing much RPM's to do so, and that they'd pretty much recommend the slimmer alternative.

The thicker rads do have better cooling capacity but it was said that the fans would have to be running a lot faster to be able to dispel the heat away through the fins to achieve the better temps, so it was a question of noise to performance.

It does make sense but at the say time I'm thinking, surely their PE 45mm thick rad wouldn't require that much more fan speed to achieve a better temp than having their 25mm SE rad ...
This maybe true which was my original thinking but i feel with the 3090 it has such a tremendous heat output compared to any card ive ever owned (except fermi :p), the rads cooling capacity is exceeded and therefore not able to dissipate the heat efficiently. I noticed this first time when i touched my fittings and they were actually burning hot to the touch, this has never happened before. I'm having to balance the fans at around 70% to be able to maintain a 55c or under temp which is insane despite wanting to build a quiet system. Fingers crossed the 55mm rad will help a lot more as i definitely know it will wattage wise provided i keep the card under 400w which is easy enough as my card only has a 104% power limit anyway. I looked at xtremerigs break down and a similar rad and thickness would be able to dissipate 400w at 1300rpm no problem, so im hoping i can bring it down even more to around 1100-1200rpm to maintain 50c or under.

Hell i'd be happy with 55c or under at 1100rpm fan speed as that would be near silent for me still.

If it works i'll look at doing the same for the top rad for a 45mm thick and lower rpm's. Current rad is only 25mm thick.

Soldato
OP
Yeah I guess the 3090 is a beast for sure haha!

That'd be good if like you say achieve the same or lower temps with lower fan speed! Look forward to seeing the results :D
Delivery expected tomorrow so we'll have a play then, shame its going to be another late one.

My last rework took me to 3am and i had work at 8am :o:o:o lol!

Soldato
OP
done good having your 3000 series coming tomorrow going by what ive been reading on here ha ha

i wasnt even going to bother trying to buy one yet !
Oh no i've had my 3090 for about 3 weeks now lol, waterblocked it within 2 weeks and keep on progressing :D. I got it on launch day :D

Haha all part of the game!

Not sure if you saw my post on the thread called 'Is it worth the hassle to water cool', but I have pretty much chosen and got everything in my basket that I want for my first custom loop build (including a O11 XL is my newly purchased 500dx won't cut it).

I have till 5pm to order to get everything tomorrow lol... do I or don't I ...hmm. It's costing more than the 3080 I pre ordered lol, and it doesn't even include a GPU block as obviously haven't got the new card yet or a second rad for it. Opted for 1 pump/reservoir, the Kinetic FLT D5 pump 240... was debating whether to get the 360 but figured it wouldn't be necessary, won't have much clearance at the bottom being the fact I'd be vertically mounting it.

Do I bite the bullet and order? lol:confused:
It's never really worth it is it, lets be honest we do this because we want a fancy pc with all the bangs and whistles and its a bonus it performs well/better and does everything you want and more.

I'd say go for it, you're only going to come back to it again and do the same thing. Don't spend too much time thinking about it, just do it and enjoy it i say. The fun part is building it, then the enjoyment comes after when you get to sit back and admire your creation.

Soldato
OP
im looking forward to building mine too but havent done one in about 12 or 13 years so im also worried i;; fluff it up haha
Patience mate, all you gotta do is be very patient and take your time with it. Whatever you do, don't rush it, that's when easy mistakes happen.

Indeed, thanks to you and your build which elicited the itch to want to do this! :D

It’ll just be the CPU that’ll be water cooled for the time being, due to the fact that the tuf oc 3080 I’ve pre ordered will know doubt be with me next year haha. I did think about ordering a block for my 1080ti but that would be wasting money. Patience!

At least I’ll get some practice in, gone for soft tubing to start with anyway, end goal will be hard tubing.
Haha glad i could help im some way :D, don't know whether im good or bad influence lol.

Yeah we'd be lucky to see 3080's before christmas tbh.. i've still got a 3080 on preorder with ocuk lol! Im in the queue at 711, won't be getting it till next year i think but i got this 3090 to last me anyway so no rush. Might even see what AMD brings to the table ;)

Looks like you might need a proper project thread when you get all your bits together :D

Soldato
OP
New Rad is awesome! temps using insurgency sandstorm as a baseline:

Old setup: GPU temp - 55c (Max spike 57c) / Fan speed 70%
New setup: GPU temp - 46c (Max spike 48c) / Fan speed 55%

The most important thing for me here is the fan speed, its so much quieter than before, im over the moon with the outcome.

Give you a feeling of the size difference between the 2 rads lol, its monstrous! I'm glad i didn't go for a 60mm thick rad though, theres literally a 5mm gap left and it probably would have touched. Only sad thing is, i don't have a vertical mount anymore. Only way to get around it is to go for the XL case which i may do in the future if i decide to build a rig for the wifey.

Fancy pics coming tomorrow, too late to do anything tonight :)

F1blWKk.jpg

0eb4JF6.jpg

IpmUA3z.jpg

Soldato
OP
Wow I wasn’t expecting those results but then again what do I know lol. I’m genuinely impressed with that!! A massive 10c drop with a much slower fan speed, just goes to show what a thicker rad can do!

I’m sure aesthetically it still looks great going back to horizontal mount :D
Same, wasn't expecting to be able to drop below 50c tbh but very surprised to be able to keep it under that and more! Need to do more tweaking with the fan curve but confident i can drop another degree or 2 with a slightly higher fan curve.

That sure is a chunky boy rad. Nice improvement on the temps.

Proper pics up tonight, need to shave these late nights doing this lol.

On another note my Bykski temp/flow sensor arrived today which i'll plumb in as well. It's the POM version :D

Soldato
OP
A certain rainforest is doing a deal on SSD's, just picked up 2 x 2tb Crucial BX500 for storage drives to replace my mechanical HDD's! Long awaited change over lol finally happening.

Soldato
OP
That time of night again, picture time :) for the archives

Forgot to mention i added 2 x small 80mm fans at the back for exhaust. Seems to help bring down the cpu temp a little so its not drowning in rtx 3090 hot air.

wyIHJqi.jpg

HYoJfLx.jpg

enwkDUc.jpg

QbEXOBv.jpg

cESURPr.jpg

b4x6GZg.jpg

fiwFUXG.jpg

toJVAuZ.jpg

r3umLEK.jpg

2pWnuH1.jpg

FZmSqKX.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Mate your system must weigh a hell of a lot! Lol it's looking fantastic though and you've given me some ideas I'd never even considered, such as actively water cooling the back of the gpu, though I'll probably not do that one lol
It does and i have to haul it up and down stairs whenever i need to do any work on it haha. It must weigh around 20-25kg easily :eek:, comparing it with a 20kg bag of rice lol.

Let me know if you go ahead with the mod, i think im gonna order one from a certain geniexpress. It's half the price for the same thing provided you dont mind waiting 2 weeks for the item to arrive.

Soldato
OP
I don't envy you pal that sounds like a ball ache! The mod is not something I can see myself doing any time soon to be fair as money is getting particularly tight. Payday cannot come fast enough.
Yeah its not good on ye olde back lol, would ask the wife to help but she'll probably roll it downstairs :p:rolleyes:

Congrats on the great looking build once again.
Looks very nice and good improvement on the temps.
The pictures are quality too.
Thanks mate, we'll update more when the ram block arrives for some custom cooling :)

Back
Top Bottom