EK Quantum Kinetic FLT Evolv'd

Soldato
OP
@Jay85 Nice build! (apologies if I missed this in amongst your posts) but what waterblock are you running on your 3090? I noted that you also water cooled the backplate side of the card too - how was that achieved?
I haven't done it yet but i've got the waterblock ordered which will attach to the back plate of the gpu. I'll post up once i receive this and begin the procedure.

Edit: I'm running an alphacool Waterblock

Soldato
OP
honestly a work of art it looks amazing well done !
how are you making the tubing glow like that ? is it just from the other lighting in the system ? or is something actually glow in the dark / etc ? :)
Thanks mate, its never ending when it comes to pc builds haha. It's been a very expensive 2 months though...

I'm using UV dyes with De-ionised water for the green and the bottom pink coolant is Mayhems UV Pink with a touch of red for a deeper darker colour. I have Cablemod UV Widebeam stripes to make it glow.

Great results mate, and your system looks awesome, even with gpu vertical mounted, I really like it!

intrigued to see the gpu back plated water cooled, not seen that before
Yeah i've read it over on the EVGA forums with the help of some members who have attempted it and saw some decent temp drops as well. Gonna give it a try and see how it goes for me, will be nice for a few more degrees shaved off the gpu for not a lot of work if im honest, just gotta be accurate with the measuring.

Soldato
OP
@Jay85 just been looking at the empty shell of my dynamic air and comparing to your case the basic frame is the same if u can get the front fan mounting frame for the air.

you could mount the res at the front you could put the bottom rad in the side.

3 bottom fans for intake.

and remount your 3090 vertically again.

What you think?

https://flic.kr/p/2jQPxqr

if I can fit all that in u can defo do it
That's a good idea tbh but i really hate the air front panel, it's just not aesthetically pleasing for me. I was looking at custom designs from an american company but worried about shipping it over as its only thin acrylic.

I would be tempted to squeeze a shorter 240 rad at the bottom lol.

Soldato
OP
I'm dedicating this build to a family member who passed away this morning.

Rest in peace Grandmother-in-law, never met her much as she lived in a different country but she was always happy and smiling when i did see her.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The colour separation :D, its so good. Added a dash of uv yellow and uv blue to the mix for that neon effect but keeping the solid colour as well.

Some clean unadulterated pictures for your viewing pleasure.

Yc8LzYT.jpg

PoKnlTc.jpg

47zBX9U.jpg

xbQryLz.jpg

iW9RGFy.jpg

W0B3b6u.jpg

GyK8EWZ.jpg

B38kpUE.jpg

iHf9na2.jpg

HitFMbG.jpg

1y4u30g.jpg

OHdfQJz.jpg

Soldato
OP
Looking good. Nice pics once again, anymore changes to come?
Aquacomputer Kryographics block with the active XCS backplate cooling on order 30-60 days apparently... and i need to adjust the blue colour to suit the theme abit more. So going to order some Green and mix in some laguna yellow to make a turquoise colour, or alternatively set the rgb to turquoise leave the blue colour alone as i quite like it as it is.

If the block takes too long to come then i'll get the MP5 backplate block that OC2000 is working with at the moment to cool the backside of the card. The 3090 still gets really toasty because of the GDDR6X chips on the back.

Soldato
OP
Still a bit left to do then, keep us updated.
Yeah will all builds theres always more to do lol, still tempted to get the XL version.

Other news... i've just cancelled my pre order on a asus tuf 3080, gonna put that money towards a new board and cpu i think instead ;) but which do i go for? AMD or Intel?!

Soldato
OP
AMD looking good this time,release 5th November, best to wait for reviews though.

I'm leaning more towards AMD at the moment if their single core performance is as good as it says it is. Otherwise i might be looking at a 10900k but i really dont want another rehash of the 14nm+++++++++++++++++++++ lol

Soldato
OP
Ever since going horizontal again due to the thicker rad at the bottom i've really missed the vertical mount.

So tonight i've come up with a possible solution that i'm going to test out tomorrow once all my other bits arrive from ocuk.

I got an adjustable bracket which i've adapted to the phanteks vertical mount. This required chopping up the mount which was abit painful to do but not that expensive of a part so it felt necessary to get what i wanted to achieve. I drilled 2 additional holes in the vertical mount to mount the bracket which was easy enough. This gave me both X and Y axis adjustability so i could shift the mount in any direction to compensate for the thicker radiator. The extra spacing created from the adjustable mount also gave me the ability to route the display cables in any location provided i removed the pcie covers at the back of the case. Finally the vertical mount is designed to slot into the existing pcie blanking plate holes for extra rigidity however spacing it out meant it would not be able to and hence interfere with the motherboard. Only option was to chop away the parts i didn't need and what i was left with is a much narrow vertical mount while still retaining a flat bottom. The flat bottom is very important as it allows the mount to sit or be as close as possible to the bottom fans for support.

A bit of filing and a lick of black primer and its ready to rock for tomorrow. I took some measurements and it should align up nicely while not interfering with the cpu block as its pushed up around 30mm from the previous vertical mount setup.

yf2w6Ol.jpg

i4debsW.jpg

qmPKkrY.jpg

N7zyxMS.jpg

Soldato
OP
@Jay85 just a quick question regarding the FLTs, how did you find bleeding them?

I've just set one up and am struggling with the air recirculating, only thing I can think of is to somehow control the PWM and slow the pump down, but I'm doing any initial leak test run before powering the PC.

Any tips/advice would be appreciated!

Glad you asked, its relatively simple if you do this.

Turn the pump on, full speed or any would do really as long as its running.

Tilt the case backwards about 60 degrees so its still pulling in coolant but not sucking in air. Turn the pump off and you'll see bubbles rise from the pump to the surface. Repeat the process till all or most of the bubbles are out.

Took me about 5 mins on and off with this method and managed to get all the trapped air out of your pump and radiator.

Soldato
OP
It's official!

Vertical mount in the O11D is nothing special BUT, vertical mount while having a 55mm thick radiator at the bottom is! With some careful measuring, some cutting up and modding of vertical mounts i managed to get the gpu in and sat snug up against the cpu block. it slightly blocks the ram but its still accessible round the back so swapping ram out wouldn't be an issue if it ever arose.

Took this opportunity to make turquoise as well by combining EK Azure blue with EK neon green to give me the correct colour. Felt like a mad scientist in a lab with all these bottles and mixing up coolant to get the colour right.

a shoutout to OCUK and @StigBourne once again for getting the order out to me so quickly despite the busy period.

xuXIIkU.jpg

eb1srqe.jpg

EzN0rlc.jpg

3ZBzLoi.jpg

7AwpjaN.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
:cool: looks awesome, thanks for the update.
I think your last colour scheme and layout (Blue/Yellow) was better sorry
Lovely build, has a great aesthetic and very distinctive style.
Cheers guys, just waiting on the new gpu block to come so i can change out the alphacool one. I really want some cooling on the backplate as it gets seriously toasty to the point where it would burn your hand if you held on for more than a few seconds.

Amazing i would never of thought it possible to have separate feeds like that. Awesome. Very green around the gills with water cooling but its something i've wanted to do forever just for the aesthetic reason alone and seeing how clean this looks is wonderful. Inspiring for sure.
It wasn't really achievable not in the traditional sense with tube reservoirs as they're usually quite tall and chunky making it difficult to position them without either taking up too much space or interfering with other components/ restricting airflow. EK comes along and creates the FLT range which is perfect for this kind of setup, very small footprint while being able to house a DDC or a D5 pump. What makes it even better is the spacing being a 120mm form factor it will pretty much fit in any 120mm fan slot.

Really nice build.

I've got a 011 dynamic that's away to have the old 8700k/1080ti changed out for AMD and go back to custom WC rather than AIO.

Been having a look at options and dual loop seemed to be near enough a no go until I saw this. I had planned to change to an XL case anyway due to the front D5 distro, are the gains with the XL purely on case height / depth between mobo and bottom panel?

Can you show how far out the FLT protrudes into the case beside tha rads? I'd want to run something around 45mm for rad thickness preferably with push pull but not sure if that'll interfere with the FLT's.
Yes, the difference between the OG and the XL is basically slightly wider to accommodate a 120mm rear fan and allowing abit more space for a thicker radiator on the side, slightly taller to allow for thicker rad placement at the bottom. It's a tad deeper to allow for better spacing of the bottom rad as well.

In reality it isn't that much larger than the OG case if im honest, i almost went for the XL because i couldn't fit a vertical mount with a thick rad at the bottom but managed to conjure up a custom bracket to solve this issue.

If it helps the bottom rad is 55mm thick and the FLT's on the side with the fittings are close but theres still roughly a 10mm gap between the fittings on the flt and the radiator at the bottom. I'm using D5's so theres just enough space at the back of the case to still close the back panel.

If you want to go push pull, its no issue in the XL but in the OG it will not work unless you go with a slim rad and keep horizontal mount for your gpu.

Soldato
OP
Has that helped with raising the core clock? Im finding it hard to go past 2100 at the moment. Hoping a repaste and water block will allow higher clocks on this.
Massively in my instance, i have the non oc palit rtx 3090 which at the time on aircooling i only managed a +35 core which sat around 1874mhz ish average on port royal.
With watercooling and much cooler temps im able to hit +180 on the core and +600 on the memory and my averages shoot up to 1966mhz average.

In games in particular watch dogs legion and mafia 2 remastered the card will lock itself to around 2145mhz but i bring the core clock down to +120 on the core and +500 on the memory. I can go higher but temps go above 50c in which case the card will downclock itself anyway due to thermal steps thats built into the cards bios, so the sweet spot seems to be around 48c or below for anything above 2145mhz core.

Mafia 2 was the really weird one where i could bump it upto +180core and still it was stable and didn't thermal throttle back at which point the card was pretty much sat at 2195mhz core

Soldato
OP
Whats the pink Fluid you used? I have 2 Litres of EK Cryo Fog, But thinking against using it now and going with a colour different to the RGB lighting.
It's Mayhems UV pink with a touch of Mayhems red dye. Still got 1 litre of it sat in the cupboard which im thinking of changing back to but want a solid colour i think. Been playing with solid colours and UV added and its quite a cool effect.

Back
Top Bottom