Caporegime
35 hours in on my first play through and I’m bored ****less. No idea where to go, constantly visiting places I’ve been before and just riding around aimlessly.

Loved Demon Souls but the open world of this doesn’t work for me, needs a notebook, quest log or just something to mark where you’ve been.

I’ll finish it but I’m already looking forward to playing something else, anything.

Soldato
35 hours in on my first play through and I’m bored ****less. No idea where to go, constantly visiting places I’ve been before and just riding around aimlessly.

Loved Demon Souls but the open world of this doesn’t work for me, needs a notebook, quest log or just something to mark where you’ve been.

I’ll finish it but I’m already looking forward to playing something else, anything.
You say you’ll finish it but to do that you’ll need another 70 hours at least:D

Soldato

I did similar when it was released, then for some reason when back a year or so later and it has become one of my all time favourites. Where are you on it?

Caporegime
I did similar when it was released, then for some reason when back a year or so later and it has become one of my all time favourites. Where are you on it?
I have no idea, only way to gauge progress is by looking at the trophies that have popped and Googling where I am in the game.

Spent two hours in Sofia River this morning looking for some guy called Blaidd.

Given the time I’ve already spent on the game I think I’m just going to follow a guide and do the bare minimum to finish it now, I’m not invested in it at all and the longer I play the less interested I’ve become.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just got to the castle rampart and killed that spider thing. Got out into the courtyard and got decimated. :D any tips on clearing it ?

Edit. And I know he’s considered easy, but I got margit on my second go. Which I’m quite pleased with.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just got to the castle rampart and killed that spider thing. Got out into the courtyard and got decimated. :D any tips on clearing it ?

Edit. And I know he’s considered easy, but I got margit on my second go. Which I’m quite pleased with.
Took me ages to do Margit I think, it’s been a while. You’re doing fine :)

Courtyard I think I just ran lol can’t quite remember!

So to sum up, not very helpful!

Last edited:
Soldato

Elden Ring rewards exploration. Re the courtyard - if you are hitting it head on you are doing it wrong (imo).

Don’t want to spoil anything for you, but if you play your cards right you will approach the area from a different entry point which may or may not make life a bit easier for you :)

Soldato
Elden Ring rewards exploration. Re the courtyard - if you are hitting it head on you are doing it wrong (imo).

Don’t want to spoil anything for you, but if you play your cards right you will approach the area from a different entry point which may or may not make life a bit easier for you :)
Thank you. Will have a bit more of an explore later. Currently a confessor wielding a kite shield and the treespear. It seems a little slow though. I was going to use that curved blade thing from that boss in the gaol(jail?) but everyone seems to use it and seemed quite boring. :D

Soldato
Ah yeah now I remember. The whole area is massive and complex and there are other ways to get to where you want to get to.

I should go back to it for another play at some point. Maybe when the DLC drops I will do.

Soldato
Got Godrick on my third attempt. Finally !

Edit. And tree sentinel. Damn that was tense. That took way more tries than godrick

Currently traded in my tree spear for now and am using the Estoc sword. I think it’s a duelling sword by the way it is swung etc. it’s much faster to get kills. The range is a bit pants compared to the spear though.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've already mentioned that in this thread I think but to further emphasise the exploration and freedom bit, you can completely skip both the castle and Godrick if you so wish, just have to look around:p

Many of the optional areas are absolutely massive but you won't get a million pointers towards them unlike in most games, it is truly your adventure.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've already mentioned that in this thread I think but to further emphasise the exploration and freedom bit, you can completely skip both the castle and Godrick if you so wish, just have to look around:p

Many of the optional areas are absolutely massive but you won't get a million pointers towards them unlike in most games, it is truly your adventure.
I was a bit lost at first with what to do. So just went exploring after some pointers from the guys here. Did most of the weeping peninsula (didn’t explore many caves. Will go back though) got some levels under my belt (now level 41 I think) and just plodding along really, not used the map much, apart from general direction.

If I see something that catches my eye I’ll investigate. It’s a good feeling not having to rely on map markers or quest markers. It’s a case of “oh that looks interesting..I’ll go there next !”

Soldato
I was a bit lost at first with what to do. So just went exploring after some pointers from the guys here. Did most of the weeping peninsula (didn’t explore many caves. Will go back though) got some levels under my belt (now level 41 I think) and just plodding along really, not used the map much, apart from general direction.

If I see something that catches my eye I’ll investigate. It’s a good feeling not having to rely on map markers or quest markers. It’s a case of “oh that looks interesting..I’ll go there next !”

Yup, that's pretty much the point, if you read item descriptions and listen to npcs, you'll get bits of lore and the direction you're supposed to go, but you don't have to.

You're never forced to do anything really, the game relies on topography and landmarks to keep you engaged and sometimes there might be nothing there, whereas at other times you might find something like Siofra. Not sure if you've been there already but the name itself is not much of a spoiler anyways.

There are places and things tied to massive ending-altering sidequests but, in a typical From fashion, you're very unlikely to find everything on your own on your first playthrough so don't obsess over it. There's just too much of it.

Even the Tree Sentinel is just the game indirectly teaching you that it's okay to run sometimes:p You'll intuitively get a feel for places you're not supposed to tackle yet as they just look more intimidating.

If you feel like looking up a guide to not miss stuff, that's also fine.

Oh, and the map is useful for placing your own markers so that you can keep track of the places you want explore. It also shows NPCs.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have been to siofra! It’s got the very long elevator down right ? Got ganked by some blue spectral Minotaurs and legged it out of there. I’m glad you can fast travel from anywhere, cause I would have been stuck down there haha.

I’m using a guide for a couple of things, but mostly letting it flow organic. I didn’t even know I was walking into godrick until the cutscene played. The tree sentinel was difficult for me because I was studying his attacks, and they seemed pretty random? Got him in the end though.

Soldato
Yup, a big sidequest will take you through there as well.

It's good to study enemy attacks to get a feel for when to dodge but ER gives you so much stuff that helps you tank bosses that it's not always necessary, unlike in other From games:p It's fun to do, though.

Oh, there are secret locations and bosses within Stormveil as well so go back and take a look around if you feel like it, one is quite creepy:p

Soldato
Yup, a big sidequest will take you through there as well.

It's good to study enemy attacks to get a feel for when to dodge but ER gives you so much stuff that helps you tank bosses that it's not always necessary, unlike in other From games:p It's fun to do, though.

Oh, there are secret locations and bosses within Stormveil as well so go back and take a look around if you feel like it, one is quite creepy:p
Just about to get stuck in now. :D wish I had jumped in on this game sooner tbh.. oh well, i think demon souls will be next (remake)

Last edited:
Soldato
Just in case nobody else has mentioned it, where you are supposed to go is depicted by the yellow “wind like” streaks on your map.

Obviously you are free to ignore them but they are pointers as to where to go to advance in the game and usually coincide with lots of enemies and a boss (or two) :p

I’m waiting for the DLC to drop and then will be doing some proper Elden Ringing (again).

Genuinely one of the best and most rewarding games I’ve ever played. Stick with it - it clicks eventually :)

Back
Top Bottom