Elder Scrolls VI Announced!

Soldato
Bugger. Was hoping to play this before the apocalypse really kicked in. We won’t even have electricity by 2025.

Maybe they’ll release a Skyrim SE wind up torch edition to keep us going.

Permabanned
Was just wondering about this. Thinking Bethesda might possibly improve in areas I prefer, like certain aspects of quest design. Some caveats..

GTA San Andreas Oblivion was my first "RPG". Nowadays I don't rate it or Skyrim as RPGs much because they both have very restrictive, unimaginative design compared to ones I've since discovered such as Baldur's Gate 2, Planescape: Torment, Fallout 2 etc, and, to various extents, 3Ds like Gothic, VTM:Bloodlines, KOTOR, etc. I don't have the ancient interview but for Skyrim they briefly considered having a higher proportion of brain-dead "radiant" quests; I'm talking about the very shallow(er) ones with no noteworthy choices, the automatic "go-kill/rescue/fetch-something" ones, AKA garbage anti-roleplay design. I believe Obsidian's fairly superior design in New Vegas, which was in development partly alongside Skyrim (and Bethesda sent some people to help Obsidian figure out Bethesda's pooey engine), helped Bethesda decide to make a higher amount of "hand-crafted" quests, tho I use quotes there because Skyrim's supposedly "hand-crafted" quests are obviously still mostly garbage i.e. dominated by linearity, blatant lack of choices/freedom, primitive writing, cardboard characters, etc. And it's odd because Oblivion/Skyrim don't have an impressively ambitious amount of content to excuse the widespread shallowness, including the weak character customisation and the weak "threat" of the dragons and war (neither of those feel like they have any impact, and we don't get hardly any decent choices about them anyway). Since Oblivion, they've generally increasingly streamlined / saved themselves work - work that a lot of people probably wouldn't appreciate or notice, to be fair.

I'm unsure how relevant Fallout is here; however, F3 was Bethesda's first Fallout as well as my intro to the series, and I loved it (and Oblivion) back then. After playing the OGs, I realised F3 was a big step down from 1 & 2, as a lot of their design was gutted or ditched (along somewhat similar lines as Morrowind --> Oblivion/Skyrim) and F3's story is largely a lazy rehash (well, in F1 we're sent out to solve the vault's water problem and come to face other stuff, while F2 has us find a GECK and we end up against a group called the Enclave (in more satisfying ways than F3). Particularly, they dumbed down quest design from F2, despite the fact that F3 already has a low amount of quests and a small shallow world (F2 has around a 100 quests and bigger + richer world). On a far smaller budget, less than 1.5 years development time, and inexperience with the crappy engine, Obsidian tried to bring the series back to its roots. But Bethesda ignored their efforts, in favour of generally dumbing down even further in F4, and again F4 maintained the higher amount of quests similar to Skyrim, and likewise F4 has mostly garbage anti-roleplay design like Skyrim, and worse. I didn't bother with F76, tho what I've heard makes me wonder if it has further lowered people's standard/expectations.

~

Yet I wouldn't be at all surprised if the potential positives outweigh for this :). Firstly, I think they care a bit more about TES since it's originally their creation unlike Fallout. After being away from their flagship series (SP-wise) for so long, they might have some pent-up creativity too. Also, maybe over the years they've gotten some good new talent to breathe new life into the series. And maybe other big-shot games have inspired them; for instance, Witcher 3 (which is an adventure game) has a larger amount of quests than Skyrim or New Vegas, and W3's quality of choice-&-consequence in quests is generally between those 2 games, and certain writing aspects (mainly in some side quests & expansions) are way above both. I've heard Bethesda chose to not build a completely new engine and if that's true then it's probably a very smart business decision - so modders can continue to flesh out and fix Bethesda's games for them, and Bethesda make money off of that too of course, and they can also continue to implement mods into current and future development for even sweeter profit margins. On that note, I'm sure this new game will sell greatly regardless, so we'll see.

Last edited:
Associate
2025 lol.

Oh well, as long as it’s not rushed and they put a lot of effort into the game with amazing quests then I’ll be very happy! I would hate to wait for a game and then it be a disappointment, and after how fallout turned out I really hope this isn’t going to be one of them

Soldato
We'll hopefully have a better idea of how much they've progressed on the technical side when Starfield launches. There was definite talk of photogrammetry and the like being used for TESVI's visuals though.

Associate
I'll be happy to see the end of the civil war and dragon born story line, it was such a disappointment.

My Argonian character's not too happy about being almost executed just for minding her own business and being in the wrong place at the wrong time then dragged a war and forced to take sides. She's one of the Argonians who invaded the plains of Oblivion, kicked the empire and Thalmore out of Black Marsh and kept them out so she's got a serious beef with the Thalmore who massacred the vast majority of the people in her city and enslaved the survivors but she's one of the few that escaped capture (and she doesn't use hammers for home improvement or carpentry either).
That's what I like about TES, you can make up your own character backstory.

Back
Top Bottom