Elderly White Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Which is exactly the point, it really doesn't need to but thats the barrier to entry erected by those making the rules ;)

Yeah, why aren't I a senior manager at 29 after being at my company for 6 years compared to the senior managers who are all in their 50's and have been here for 20+ years? What a barrier to entry that is that I should have to gain experience for a senior role

Well, since the performance of the FA is, per its last few chairmen, suffering due to the numbers of elderly white men at the top, perhaps we should expect the organisation to be actively adjusting its demographic make up. Ergo, we should expect that they would have already made strides to correct this imbalance.

I think the FA is suffering because of reasons that have absolutely nothing to do with age or skin colour

Last edited:
Soldato
Well, since the performance of the FA is, per its last few chairmen, suffering due to the numbers of elderly white men at the top, perhaps we should expect the organisation to be actively adjusting its demographic make up. Ergo, we should expect that they would have already made strides to correct this imbalance.

i think the issue is more that it's OLD MEN nothing to do with the colour of their skin. why the hell is race even coming into it? this is a majority white country so it makes sense that most people at the top are white.

Soldato
Yeah that's because to get to the upper echelons it takes years of experience, why would you expect that diversity to just immediately filter to the top?

Also, why no old white women then?

Same as in the boardrooms across corporations. And I think women have been around long enough (and we've been educating them for a while now as well!) if it was just a case of 'needing time to get the experience' ;)

Soldato

Same as in the boardrooms across corporations. And I think women have been around long enough (and we've been educating them for a while now as well!) if it was just a case of 'needing time to get the experience' ;)

maybe because women are less interested (on the whole) in football than men?

Soldato

Probably because the amount of Women who are interested in football is very small compared to Men, there's also a very small audience and market who are interested in professional womens football.

Soldato
i think the issue is more that it's OLD MEN nothing to do with the colour of their skin. why the hell is race even coming into it? this is a majority white country so it makes sense that most people at the top are white.

maybe because women are less interested (on the whole) in football than men?

I guess black people aren't all that interested in football either then?

Associate
So true.

BBC News used to be my go to news source but it's just getting ridiculous now.

And the comments on the articles are always 'Leavers' saying that Brexit will fix all of this!

"This wouldn't have happened if we weren't in the EU! HARD BREXIT!!"

The comment threads are always enabled on really random articles too, but it always boils down to brexit/trump arguments. There's one right now about ice caps melting and I kid you not, all the top comments talk about is trump.

I need a new news source, tired of the Beeb.

Associate
Why does the BBC think this is appropriate? I guarantee that if someone said "young black men" or "middle aged chinese women" were to blame for something, the BBC would be foaming at the bit to make this an issue of racism.

White people aren't a minority, nor are they marginalized, persecuted or discriminated against.

Elderly White isn't even on the same level as Young Black or Middle Age Chinese.

Looking at who runs the FA, it is mostly old white men, whats the problem?

Soldato
Well then, I guess they should have had you in the room with all those former FA Chairmen to point out their mistake

The FA have made mistakes, but nothing about their mistakes is caused by being white or old. Unless you feel that being old and white makes you prone to bad decisions?

Soldato
Maybe...or maybe it's the entrenched sexism that women have been reporting for decades that is in our society that stops them

(As I said this isn't just about the FA, but you see this across all sectors)

Women are generally less interested in competitive activities, most likely due to less Testosterone. Men have more of this, it drives aggression and competitiveness. Of course some Men aren't competitive and some Women are very competitive, but generally speaking this is why you see significant numbers of Men playing video games, sports and other competitive activities and not as many Women. The last time I checked there was nothing about society that stops Women buying a football and going to a field, and even setting up leagues and competitons of their own, they just choose not to for the most part.

Soldato
The FA have made mistakes, but nothing about their mistakes is caused by being white or old. Unless you feel that being old and white makes you prone to bad decisions?

The group of former FA chairmen explicitly believe that the FA being substantially old, white, and male is causing the FA to make bad decisions.

That's what this is all about

Soldato
I must say, I do agree with you about the diversity for the sake of diversity, part. Why do we need diversity necessarily? I can see why it's extremely beneficial, but the benefits diminish when you force it. People should just be considered people, whatever their race.

Soldato
The group of former FA chairmen explicitly believe that the FA being substantially old, white, and male is causing the FA to make bad decisions.

That's what this is all about

Ok? And I'm saying that's not the case in the same way that being Black doesn't mean make you bad or good at something.

Soldato
Dyke told the BBC:

FA meetings "bear no resemblance to Britain today"
Only four FA Council members out of 120 are from ethnic minority backgrounds
Only six FA Council members are women
That 10% of members are aged over 80
That 80% of members are aged over 60

Ignoring the rest lets focus on the last point. Does it make sense that over 80% are people who are well past being able to play the game to a reasonable level.
Does it not make more sense that the governing body for a game has representation from a decent percentage of people of a playing age that will find it much easier to relate to those playing the game in parks, on sports grounds, at semi professional level, and at the top level across the whole of the UK, week in and week out?

it goes a long way to explain the awful managerial appointments for England. That spread of members is completely non representative of the game today. It's like a working class version of the house of lords, totally out of touch with reality of day to day life.

Soldato
The BBC isn't allowed to report the news now? As already pointed out, they were quoting a former chief of the FA.

The faux outrage every time someone mentions old white males is so tiresome.

And no-one here can even say that the FA are simply hiring people on ability (the usual excuse when diversity is raised). The FA is a failed organisation.

Soldato
Women are generally less interested in competitive activities, most likely due to less Testosterone. Men have more of this, it drives aggression and competitiveness. Of course some Men aren't competitive and some Women are very competitive, but generally speaking this is why you see significant numbers of Men playing video games, sports and other competitive activities and not as many Women. The last time I checked there was nothing about society that stops Women buying a football and going to a field, and even setting up leagues and competitons of their own, they just choose not to for the most part.

There's a quite strong and widely accepted belief that, indeed, fewer women play sport because of the pressure specific to their gender that society places on them.

So, in fact, there really is stuff about society that stops women doing those things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom