Electric shavers

Soldato
I have been through most of the Braun and Phillips top of the range shavers and even after putting new blades into this one...
RQRqwQw.jpg

I found it not really doing the job anymore and within 4 hours I am back into the land of stubble.

That doesn't happen with wet shaving which gives me a full day and if I use a proper full on safety blade approach day into night.

So this Panasonic seems like worth a punt at the money?
Sounds like an Amazon job at the very least!

Associate
Hmm, 100 notes on a shaver. An easy use performer electric, if only such a thing was real. If it does deliver then the money is fine, but £100 and if it doesn't deliver!

Associate
I've abused that somewhat already, i don't typically use them so not sure. One of the reviews on there mention his warehouse deal had hairs in it still. One other review talks about replacement part costs and the life.

Hopefully this thread gets more active with reviews.

Soldato
I've been using Panasonic for years and every time this thread cropped up I'd mention Panasonic and nobody appeared to listen. Even the mid-range Panasonic are better than Braun and Philips with the more expensive Panasonics being better, cleaner and more comfortable. I don't even bother with wet shaving.

I listened back in early 2019. I wasn't impressed initially, I bought the ES-LT2N. I've grown used to it, I wouldn't say it's a great shave. Though previously I was using a double edged safety razor and feathers. I bought the Panasonic because who want's to play with feathers when your boat is pitching up to 7 degrees, or in a rolley anchorage when some knob-head jet skiers fly past.

Last edited:
Soldato
Panasonic build quality declined - I've had my 13krpm linear motor about 12 years, the newer LT2N has much larger plastic moulded head and some kind of gimmick for modulating cutting power, not sure if they are still made in Japan either, so, I've hesitated on replacement, but old model blades/heads are becoming harder/$$ to find.
The linear's motor speeds are a plus,
I'm not sure about the curved (ProCurve) heads though, versus flat, braun, I also use.

from main razer thread V

For electric shave blade lubrication, trying a change to grapeseed oil .. anyone tried alternatives ? should be a bit more natural, than mineral oil, ...

48060259483_8a306d6be0_o_d.jpg

following, a bit, comments below, about pre-shave

http://www.groomingheroes.com/pre-shave-oil-recipes/
https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/grapeseed-oil-preshave.536192/

Personally dont like the ones with 5 blades(95s), too bulky on the face, harder to manouver, if you notice, braun calls their 3 blades pro-skin, too. selling them as better for sensitive skin.

Soldato
maybe a cleaning station game ?
Hello - Panasonic ES-LV65-s 5 Blade Electric Shaver Wet and Dry by Panasonic.
Bottom line is this - LV65 is the model WITHOUT the cleaning station. LV95 is the SAME model WITH the cleaning station.
My thoughts are this - if this is a shaver that can be used/cleaned with water - do you REALLY need the cleaning statio…

Man of Honour
Have I ordered the wrong one then, is there a better one. I could not see the difference myself, other than some silver bits.

Mind you, I do like silver bits....

hmmmmmm

What do I do, I can't life at the moment without OCUK support :(

Associate
So hot for you right now but Feather Hi-Stainless Platinum or GTFO
Some of these comments still have me laughing while reading page 3.

I'm too tight to spend a hundred on an electric one, had a braun 3 for a few years which was meh. Did not like the foil bit at all, used the flip out straightener to chop the beard down, then DE saftey razor. Which I do about once a week now.

Caporegime
One of the problems with electric shaving - and all shaving, actually - is the arbitary and subjective nature of what constitutes a 'good' shave. 'Good' might mean quick or safe or close or it might actually be more about the shaver: easy to manouevre, long battery life, mod cons like cleaning stations, cheper replacement parts etc. The point is that there are lots of 'goods' and your best is the one that works for you. This is why if you read 50 websites which compare a range - and it's normally the same range, give or take some outliers - they all place them differently, or at least differently enough to show variance while still being within the 'best' category. For people who want definites - and this is almost everyone in this thread - that provides an unwanted complexity because 'NO VARIABLES WHAT IS THE BEST THING?!' is less appealing than 'OK, I BUY THIS BECAUSE IT IS BEST'

Read lots of reviews, talk to some (good) sales people, maybe even use the experience you've previously had and then buy something and see how it compares to those things. If you need to, finesse from there, but very much like wet shaving you might quickly find that you get to slim improvements at the expense of substantial mental thought and time invested and, well basically, don't go down the rabbit hole unless you need to would be my advice.

Really short version: sometimes 'good' is good enough and 'best' is always elusive.

Man of Honour
The closest shave has never, thus far at least, come from an electric shaver. They are an item of convenience and it is a compromise approach to shaving. Modern wet shaving is also similar, better than electric but I can still get closer with a quality safety blade, proper preperation and time, lots of time.

Caporegime
I may have been off on my definitions, by 'wet' I meant DE shaving and 'electric' meant exactly that. I don't know what 'modern wet' is but it sounds like something I'd need to go google incoginto for.

Back
Top Bottom