Electric Toothbrush

Soldato
Caporegime
A quick Google for any studies says otherwise, this is from a hygienist https://www.rdhmag.com/patient-care...-flossers-work-a-hygienists-quest-to-find-out

No, that’s one article that references some studies.

My hygienist also showed me a much more effective way to use my electric toothbrush to prevent plaque buildup. So again, if she was just trying to get more money out of me by more frequent, or deeper cleanings, she did a pretty poor job.

If a water flosser works for you that’s fine but they aren’t necessary or better than manual flossing. The plus side to them is that people are likely to use them more often often as they cba flossing manually. Manual flossing can also be awkward and more difficult to get the technique right.

I’ve used numerous hygienists over the years of different ages and experience and when asked, they’ve always told me not to replace manual flossing with a waterpik.

Last edited:
Soldato
If a water flosser works for you that’s fine but they aren’t necessary or better than manual flossing. The plus side to them is that people are likely to use them more often often as they cba flossing manually. Manual flossing can also be awkward and more difficult to get the technique right.

No one was saying they are necessary or better than manual flossing, the question was were they any good or are they a waste of time. I don’t think they are a waste of time and was expressing that for Arknor’s benefit really

Caporegime
No one was saying they are necessary or better than manual flossing, the question was were they any good or are they a waste of time. I don’t think they are a waste of time and was expressing that for Arknor’s benefit really

I mean, you tried to suggest they were better above by linking the first article you could find, likely without even reading it.

If he already flosses manually, then it would be a waste of time and money. If he doesn’t, then I’d suggest he tries that first before buying a waterpik.

Last edited:
Soldato
I mean, you tried to suggest they were better above by linking the first article you could find, likely without even reading it.

If he already flosses manually, then it would be a waste of time and money. If he doesn’t, then I’d suggest he tries that first before buying a waterpik.

No I linked an article from a dental hygienist that questioned whether water flossing worked and referenced multiple studies and indicated it wasn’t a waste of time.

Last edited:
Caporegime
No I linked an article from a dental hygienist that questioned whether water flossing was any good and referenced multiple studies and indicated it wasn’t a waste of time.

You said it stated otherwise, therefore suggesting it was more effective.

Anyway, as I said it is a waste of time if he already flosses manually and if not, better to give that a go first than to spend to spend £30 or whatever on a water flosser.

Soldato
You said it stated otherwise, therefore suggesting it was more effective.

The article I linked suggested studies said it was potentially more effective, so yes the study states otherwise but the article tempers that with the possibility of poor technique etc. Not having read the quoted study, I have no idea how controlled the studies were.

Numerous studies from the last 50 years suggest that water flossers are more effective at removing biofilm from tooth surfaces and bacteria from periodontal pockets than string floss and manual toothbrushing, together or separately.1 A study by Goyal et. al. showed a 74.4% reduction in overall plaque and an 81.6% reduction in interproximal plaque with a water flosser compared to a 57.7% overall and 63.4% interproximal plaque reduction with string floss.2 Of course, it’s possible to attribute these differences to technique rather than product effectiveness. However, poor patient technique, compliance, and dislike of floss are reasons enough to consider alternatives.

Caporegime
The article I linked suggested studies said it was potentially more effective, so yes the study states otherwise but the article tempers that with the possibility of poor technique etc. Not having read the quoted study, I have no idea how controlled the studies were.

Yes, which was precisely my point.

Soldato
I picked up an oclean sonic brush on amazon recently for just over 20 quid. Never heard of them before but this thing is great, battery is supposed to last 6 months and it has multiple different modes for morning,night etc that are timed and have different intensities.

Soldato
Just ask your hygienist for a recommendation I got an oral B one which times your brushing and shows a warning if you're pressing too hard
i havent asked them about Siri, due to see them soon. but yer im using an electric.

the plus side of hte Siri is its usb-c charging, so i can use laptop or docking station to both charge toothbrush and infect the company network :D
i always like a multipurpose tools :D

Caporegime
Just ask your hygienist for a recommendation I got an oral B one which times your brushing and shows a warning if you're pressing too hard
Same but I'm not convinced on the pressure sensor, I changed the default brushing time to 3 mins on mine as well, 2 mins didn't really seem enough for proper coverage

after about 8 months it lets me press a fair bit harder, It makes me think I wasnt pressing hard enough at the start.

I don't think the bristles were hitting under my gumline properly, although my dentist/hygienist never mentioned anything.

Never could go back to manual brushing again, just hate the mess brushing now makes, I try to be careful and still get a bit of toothpaste misting on the mirror and wall

Last edited:
Associate
Tempted to get one of those Suri brushes. Anyone got one? The battery life alone makes it appealing.
I do, I like it a lot. I've come from manual brushes and used to wear one out every few weeks. My gf and her family have now all bought them too.

My main impressions are that they clean ok, they last ages and they're definitely not bulky. Charging is very convenient without needing to go look for some proprietary bit. I think it won't be long before they get bought out or the big names change their whole product lines, there are a bunch of lessons for them to learn.

Associate
Moved to electric (oral b) a couple of years ago and it made a big difference to my oral hygiene. I also use Yellow t-pee and floss picks to remove trapped food.

Soldato
I've varied back and forth over the years, tried one of those brushes with million of soft bristles as they felt nicer, hygienist is much happier with the cleaning the electric (cheap oral b one) does.

Soldato
Moved to electric (oral b) a couple of years ago and it made a big difference to my oral hygiene. I also use Yellow t-pee and floss picks to remove trapped food.
Same specifically on the hygienists say so, went for the checkup this week she gave me some orange tepe sticks as I mentioned the wire ones only last one or two treatments. i have to say she's very good

Back
Top Bottom