Elite:Dangerous

Associate
You do NOT need to run Elite Dangerous through Steam or Facebook. The native launcher works. Look for the settings, and the 3D options - set to "with headphones". Or better yet, http://www.drkaii.com/tools/edprofiler/ and switch easily to test out profiles that work for your setting.

Elite Dangerous + HOTAS + VOice Attack + HCS Voice Pack..... this is an insanely good combination for VR.

Check out the HCS Website for videos like this one, and then resist the urge to not buy at least one pack. They are sooooooo good, make controlling your ship VR a dawdle (you'll soon forget the equivalent keys) and massively add to the immersion:

Soldato
Could do with a voice command to center view in VR, leaning forward and hitting a key messes the position, end up calling the misses in to hit the key for me :D

Associate
Could do with a voice command to center view in VR, leaning forward and hitting a key messes the position, end up calling the misses in to hit the key for me :D

Using Voice Attack you can have the voice command "Reset Vive" or whatever, which is the equivalent of F12. HCS voicepacks come with this as standard.

Associate
Exactly what I thought (in fact I'm so sure I reckon it was changed) but it works without looking at it so: win, win.

The "Request docking" macro in HCS voice pack Astra uses a series of commands that don't work if you haven't got the side left panel on the default tab, but otherwise it's all good.

Associate
Default tab is always reset when you drop out of SC anyway isn't it?

That it is, but if for any reason you happen to be looking at the left panel and don't leave it on the default tab, then HCS's "request docking" doesn't work, maybe that's changed with the latest version though - I'll need to test it.

Associate
I'll need to test it.

I have downloaded the latest version, but the issue of needing to be on the default tab for "request docking" still exists. Not that it's a problem per-say, and I understand why it's probably not possible to overcome until Frontier Change the way we can access the tabs (i.e. a unique key for each tab).

I also got the "Eden" sound pack which is great if you happen to like female scandic accents and a slightly quirky sense of humour

The new plugins work very well thanks in part to the "journal" option that Frontier Developments have put in place.

For example, when approaching docking, Eden asks if I'd like to power up shields, then ask to lower the landing gear.

It's a great effect when in VR...

Associate
OP
Camera - How does it work in VR?

I've gone into the options menu and have seen the 'Camera Suite' and 'Free Camera' which just confuses me.

What I basically want is:
  • A command to jump into an external camera
  • which I can then fly around my ship using my HOTAS or mouse
  • A key/command to take a photo (are there different resolutions depending on what game mode you are in?)
How does the camera work in E:D?

Associate
I've not actually used the external camers but I've whizzed past it in the options. I believe it's crtl-alt-space, which can be easily mapped in voice attack. I also believe the camera is then moved with the joystick but could be wrong.

Associate
OP
I Have just installed a 1080ti (moving from an R9 290) and wondered what the best settings are for ED?

I was just going to run it using the VR Ultra settings of the ED Profiler and then tweak them, but I wondered if there's any tips?

As a bit of background, in the VR Ultra settings, SS = 1.25, HMD Image Quality = 1.50. Also, my CPU isn't that powerful, but is hopefully OK.

Soldato
I run SS 1.6 for ED on my Rift and 1080ti set via the debug tool, not sure what HMD Image Quality is, sounds like an in game SS in which case I would disable / set to 1.

Not sure if SS is actually being applied twice but if it then I imagine the performance hit would be high.

Associate
Its my understanding that its generally accepted to have SS set to 1 or 0.85 and then push the HMD Image Quality (or equvialent in the Oculus debug tool its the same thing) as far as you can. I run mine at 1.5 with a 1070 but obviously with some quality settings turned down to limit the performance hit. It runs pretty smooth on my system and 1.5 really does improve the image clarity a lot.

Back
Top Bottom