Elite:Dangerous

Soldato
Cheers. I was able to run it in VR from the desktop ED starter short cut as long as I had SteamVR running before I booted the game up.

I now just need to sort out my settings to make it run nicely on my basic 290. I'll try EDProfiler and see where I go from there.

Also need to figure out how t navigate the Galaxy map in VR :eek:

And continue waiting for Vega... :rolleyes:
So you didn't have to re-install the entire game just to run it in VR?

That would seem odd... Surely it's the same version of the game, and it just detects you have a VR headset or not?

Soldato
Folks I'm so confused about the graphics settings on this.. what should I use to change the SS levels? The Steam VR settings? The Oculus Tool? The ingame graphics settings?

Is it me or does the text in some areas look a bit fuzzy with an Oculus Rift (and only looking at the text directly seems to make it clearer?)

And last but not least, I do not know why but everytime I start Elite in VR, the menu system is hanging above me and I have to look upwards to review the menu settings... any idea why this is and how to reset?

Thanks folks!

Associate
Folks I'm so confused about the graphics settings on this.. what should I use to change the SS levels? The Steam VR settings? The Oculus Tool? The ingame graphics settings?

Is it me or does the text in some areas look a bit fuzzy with an Oculus Rift (and only looking at the text directly seems to make it clearer?)

And last but not least, I do not know why but everytime I start Elite in VR, the menu system is hanging above me and I have to look upwards to review the menu settings... any idea why this is and how to reset?

The default HMD reset key used to be F12, so try that (I bound it to a joystick button). No idea why it's starting so far out of place for you though.

Text in ED has always been a bit on the small side. Some people modify the cockpit colours to make it more readable (due to the size of RGB subpixels/how they are arranged on the Rift's pentile display).

If you look at an image of a warped view that gets sent to a VR headset, you'll notice it bulges outwards. The lenses compensate for that distortion by effectively pushing the bulged image back inwards, which means that most of the pixels that you see are basically pushed towards the middle of your view resulting in more detail at the centre - so when you look directly at something in VR, you're looking directly at the clearest part of the whole image. (Technically the warped image is to compensate for the distortion of the lenses not the other way around.)

For SS either pick the Tray Tool or the ingame settings. Use whichever you prefer and stick with that.

Last edited:
Associate
OP

Thanks folks!

If you have not already got it, a program called 'EDProfiler' has been essential for me to make VR useable in Elite Dangerous. I really recommend that you Download and install it.

There is a 'GUI Colour' profile in there called "Dr. Kai's Spiritual Teal (avatar friendly)" - it may be the default option when you've installed EDProfiler. It makes the text far more readable.

And generally use EDProfiler for experimenting with graphic settings.

Soldato
Thanks for all the input folks.

One problem I have. Every time I start elite. The menu system is above my head and I have to look up. I'm wondering if this is to do with the oculus setup settings when it asks your height etc.

I went through it and didn't it correctly I'm sure. But I don't know why this phenomenon happens and it's kind annoying each time I start elite I have to strain to manipulate the menu. Only when I'm in game I can then press the reorientate button.

Any help appreciated folks.

Soldato
Thanks for all the input folks.

One problem I have. Every time I start elite. The menu system is above my head and I have to look up. I'm wondering if this is to do with the oculus setup settings when it asks your height etc.

I went through it and didn't it correctly I'm sure. But I don't know why this phenomenon happens and it's kind annoying each time I start elite I have to strain to manipulate the menu. Only when I'm in game I can then press the reorientate button.

Any help appreciated folks.
You can bind a key to reset your view, in the key bindings. I think it works in the menu too.

Associate

As Devrij said, if you've rebound your recenter button, it should work in the start menu (and I'm fairly sure it should even work on the loading screen). If you've rebound that option and it's still not working, then there's something weird going off.

It shouldn't matter where you're launching the game from (Frontier launcher, Home, Steam) but if you do launch it form Oculus Home it is set up straight away to go into VR mode, so you don't have to initially set anything from the menus. I have it running from Home because it was just easier after a Windows reinstall to pick it from the Home menu, rather than go and grab an extra game installer.

Edit - noticed you just replied to Devrij. At this point, I'd seriously consider uninstalling, make sure you delete any left over Elite file/folders, and reinstall from Home. You really shouldn't be having an issue recentering.

Soldato
Mine does the same, but make sure you have clicked on the ED window with the mouse, you should see a cursor pop up in the VR headset, you can then either use the mouse of the HOTAS to navigate but the key press for centre VR should work also.

Think the default is F12 so easy to find on the keyboard without taking off the headset ;)

Soldato
Also worth noting, I couldnt get the audio working through the headset till I reinstalled it via Oculus Home, everything else worked fine.

You can get your redeem code from Frontier so you can claim it in Oculus ;)

Soldato
I have Elite installed through Steam - Is there any advantage or point in uninstalling it and installing it through Oculus Store?

Soldato
I have Elite installed through Steam - Is there any advantage or point in uninstalling it and installing it through Oculus Store?

If everything is working for you then I would leave as is.

I built a new VR rig so was installing again anyway and was unable to get audio through the headset, after installing from Oculus Home the audio was fixed.

Back
Top Bottom