Emotional Video - Woman hearing for the first time in 29 years

Man of Honour
I used to be the Union Man for around 25 deaf & dumb (it was OK in those days) workers and always had to go into meetings or 1 on 1's with Management.
23 of them could talk but the quality depended on how deaf they were and only 2 couldn't talk at all because they had been born 100% deaf.
It was/is my understanding that to talk really good you would have been able to hear at one time.

Associate
It's strange, yes. How does she know what people are saying? Learning to read is different to learning to hear/speak.

Soldato
hello

i am profoundly deaf since born.

i use sign language as primary language........big question.....can i speak? yes and no, some people understands me, some dont. its all depends on people who i am talking to. i found when people once know that i'm deaf, they tried too hard to trying to understand me if you know what i mean.

i have no problem going to local shop and ask for 20 B&H. never had any issue.

i wear 1 hearing aid.......can i hear? yes and no. Hearing aid is just an amplifier which boost volume sound louder but the auditory nerves (tiny hairs) in my cochlear bone is either flat or damaged. So the quaility of sound i hear is completely flat/dead. i cannot hear speech very well like CH, SH, Z, and others. i can hear and recognise simple sound like plane, car horn, washing machine spinning etc.

i had speech therapy since i was about 6 years old when i was in boarding school. the speech therapist advised to stop attend speech therapy when i was about 16 cos i couldnt improve my speech anymore due the quality of sound i hear is carp so i cannot hear myself and others speech

now, the video of the girl hearing herself for the first time.......i saw this video few days ago, i kept quiet cos i wasnt sure. so i waited for my mother to have look at this video before i make a comment. she visited earlier this morning and saw this video. my mother is best person to ask for opinions cos she has massive knowledge about deafness from me, when i was little, she attended group for parents with deaf child. also her sister and her husband (aunt and uncle) are profoundly deaf, yes deaf go throu in family.

she watched the video at least 10 times, she said she is ..............faking or she arent really profoundly deaf. more likely hard of hearing.

why - her speech is perfect, my mother said there is NO WAY of ANY profoundly deaf since born would speak perfectly.

i agree with her, i have many deaf friends, there were 200+ deaf children at the boarding school i attened (google mary hare school). NOT EVEN 1 profoundly deaf person i know or met can speak perfectly.

my girlfriend is also profoundly deaf, she cant speak very well.

one of my friend is hard of hearing (lost hearing when he was 10yrs old) he speak 100% perfectly and work as a car saleman in nissan garage.

it is very often deaf people misdiagnosed as profoundly deaf when they are actually hard of hearing.

Associate
I used to be the Union Man for around 25 deaf & dumb (it was OK in those days) workers and always had to go into meetings or 1 on 1's with Management.
23 of them could talk but the quality depended on how deaf they were and only 2 couldn't talk at all because they had been born 100% deaf.
It was/is my understanding that to talk really good you would have been able to hear at one time.

This is it, you can't learn to speak just through muffled vibrations.
She might of had a problem since birth that gradually got worse till she was completly deaf but you can't be born deaf but still speak like that.

Permabanned
I give it a week before she realises how *&^%ing annoying people are and asks for it to be switched off so she can get some peace :p

This is the reason why I prefer to wear ear plugs instead of my hearing aids.

I wish that my better ear could could go deaf faster, having to hear people plus the noise they make all day long is beyond annoying, I want to switch it off :(

Wait ... what happened to my sig?

Permabanned
This is the reason why I prefer to wear ear plugs instead of my hearing aids.

I wish that my better ear could could go deaf faster, having to hear people plus the noise they make all day long is beyond annoying, I want to switch it off :(

Wait ... what happened to my sig?

Where's your sig gone?

Can you not turn your aids off?

Permabanned
Where's your sig gone?

Can you not turn your aids off?

Im only profoundly deaf in one ear, the other is only moderate.

So on most days when I'm not using my headphones, I tend to need to stick an earplug into my better ear.

I bought waterproof earplugs because the ENT docs told me not to get water in my ears when washing ... they work a lot better for providing complete silence though.

My sig has disappeared from Imageshack :x

Man of Honour

This video is probably selling something, but skip to 1:25 to hear the guy. Profoundly deaf from birth, apparently. 110dB loss. His speech is fine, but there's a definite accent from being deaf.

Man of Honour
This video is probably selling something, but skip to 1:25 to hear the guy. Profoundly deaf from birth, apparently. 110dB loss. His speech is fine, but there's a definite accent from being deaf.

I may be posting comlete crap but I would say that 100db profoundly deaf is not total deaf and the lad probably had hearing aids all his life.
All the workers I dealt with had hearing aids except for the 2 that were totally deaf and all the remainder used to turn their hearing aids off for the reasons bhavv stated above (basically leaving them on was annoying).
I had a curry with one of them on Friday before this thread so I could have asked questions then but I won't see him until December 23rd.
He is absolutely brilliant at talking but like the lad in the video has that 'accent' but a bit worse.

Soldato
Well if you're the types to accept everything at face value, then I'm happy for you and I hope you enjoy sailing through life in your happy little bubble :p.

Im not in a happy bubble but you have two choices here

1 accept it and embrace it

2 rip it to bits

I couldnt give a flying toss whether its genuine or not, it doesnt affect my life either way. Its kinda nice to believe that its true though.

Woman who cant hear - can hear.

Pretty cool.

Soldato
hello

i am profoundly deaf since born.

i use sign language as primary language........big question.....can i speak? yes and no, some people understands me, some dont. its all depends on people who i am talking to. i found when people once know that i'm deaf, they tried too hard to trying to understand me if you know what i mean.

i have no problem going to local shop and ask for 20 B&H. never had any issue.

i wear 1 hearing aid.......can i hear? yes and no. Hearing aid is just an amplifier which boost volume sound louder but the auditory nerves (tiny hairs) in my cochlear bone is either flat or damaged. So the quaility of sound i hear is completely flat/dead. i cannot hear speech very well like CH, SH, Z, and others. i can hear and recognise simple sound like plane, car horn, washing machine spinning etc.

i had speech therapy since i was about 6 years old when i was in boarding school. the speech therapist advised to stop attend speech therapy when i was about 16 cos i couldnt improve my speech anymore due the quality of sound i hear is carp so i cannot hear myself and others speech

now, the video of the girl hearing herself for the first time.......i saw this video few days ago, i kept quiet cos i wasnt sure. so i waited for my mother to have look at this video before i make a comment. she visited earlier this morning and saw this video. my mother is best person to ask for opinions cos she has massive knowledge about deafness from me, when i was little, she attended group for parents with deaf child. also her sister and her husband (aunt and uncle) are profoundly deaf, yes deaf go throu in family.

she watched the video at least 10 times, she said she is ..............faking or she arent really profoundly deaf. more likely hard of hearing.

why - her speech is perfect, my mother said there is NO WAY of ANY profoundly deaf since born would speak perfectly.

i agree with her, i have many deaf friends, there were 200+ deaf children at the boarding school i attened (google mary hare school). NOT EVEN 1 profoundly deaf person i know or met can speak perfectly.

my girlfriend is also profoundly deaf, she cant speak very well.

one of my friend is hard of hearing (lost hearing when he was 10yrs old) he speak 100% perfectly and work as a car saleman in nissan garage.

it is very often deaf people misdiagnosed as profoundly deaf when they are actually hard of hearing.

Great post.

But what is the point we are trying to prove?

Its all a lie?

She could hear all the time?

Soldato
His point's clear enough to me. Not neccessarily all a lie - but at least the facts as reported (if you can even call a caption under a video of unstated source reporting) are exaggerated or distorted. Quite simply she cannot be profoundly and pre-lingually deaf and speak like that. Impossible. People profoundly deaf from birth can and do learn speech skills, but the result is at best like the guy in the video above. To be fair the video caption doesn't even say she was born deaf - just not heard a single sound for 29 years - doesn't say she's only 29 years old!

Some people clearly are in a happy bubble after watching this, because they're berating people who remain skeptical just because it's a warm, fluffy feel-good video with a cute girl. Anything else and the skepticism and scrutiny on this forum reaches CSI levels!

Back
Top Bottom