Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Man ‘facing £7,000 energy bill’ after switching to £25,000 government-backed ‘green’ heat pump​

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/air-source-heat-pumps-energy-bills-uk-b2249088.html

Pointless article with no real context of usage figures, what they were using before etc.

Heat pump hasn't been sold as a device to save you money it's more of a way of heating with electric instead of gas, so fits in well with things like solar panel and battery systems.

I'd argue that a heat pump system by itself is sort of pointlessly expensive at the moment, couple it with a good solar/battery system and a cheaper time of use tariff for off-peak rates though, and it may actually be worth it.

I'd argue that a heat pump system by itself is sort of pointlessly expensive at the moment, couple it with a good solar/battery system and a cheaper time of use tariff for off-peak rates though, and it may actually be worth it.
But then you have had a further multi thousand pound system added into the equation.

But then you have had a further multi thousand pound system added into the equation.

Sure but it's the thing that really enables the other thing, otherwise you may as well just do what a lot of us have done, gun for solar/battery first and worry about ASHP later if you can't afford it all at once.

Solar has a predictable return rate and will definitely save you money if you spend a lot on electric, ASHP is just an alternative to gas at probably a similar expense for heating.

I still stand by what I said though, the article linked just goes into no detail whatsoever about previous expense, what they were sold, predictions about consumption/cost data, really anything at all.

Has any European government grasped the nettle and openly discussed ways of reducing population, or at least stemming its growth, like China did? Or do they all just waffle endlessly about energy conservation, ignoring the real issue?

Sure but it's the thing that really enables the other thing, otherwise you may as well just do what a lot of us have done, gun for solar/battery first and worry about ASHP later if you can't afford it all at once.

Solar has a predictable return rate and will definitely save you money if you spend a lot on electric, ASHP is just an alternative to gas at probably a similar expense for heating.

I still stand by what I said though, the article linked just goes into no detail whatsoever about previous expense, what they were sold, predictions about consumption/cost data, really anything at all.
Exactly, they claimed their summer electricity usage is nearly £300 / month on their existing fixed tariff. What on earth are they using that amount of energy for in July?!

Has any European government grasped the nettle and openly discussed ways of reducing population, or at least stemming its growth, like China did? Or do they all just waffle endlessly about energy conservation, ignoring the real issue?

I doubt it seeing as even China admit the policy was flawed, and is now reversed.

The vast majority of developed countries have a problem that forecasting shows an ever increasing dependency ratio and a SHORTAGE of new births.

The problem is not population its distribution of population around the globe. These arbitrary lines drawn on maps mean that areas with low birth rates need the migration, and yet simultaneously many of those living in these areas are hyper anti migration.

Some of my older relatives have been talking about when there was a drive to adopt plastic to save the trees :s so they always take these things a bit cynically.
"Older relatives"... surely you were alive during the shift from paper bags at the supermarket to plastic bags?

I remember it and I'm not that old...

"Older relatives"... surely you were alive during the shift from paper bags at the supermarket to plastic bags?

I remember it and I'm not that old...

Always been plastic since I was old enough to be aware of it at the supermarkets we used. I don't recall any campaign in general.

There is nothing fundamentally wrong with plastic bags, the issue is what people did with them (E.g. don’t re-use or recycle them and far too many end up in the environment).

Cutting down trees (aka single use paper bags) is not the alternative. If anything the rise of posh paper bags from shops are as much as a disaster as single use plastic bags were.

Most of my ‘reusable’ bags (like a bag should be anything but reusable) have plastic in them as do most peoples and no one seems to be bothered about that.

The plastic free ones I have are actually just worse products and probably will not last as long.

Last edited:
If you use the plastic bag 50 or 100 times its ironic that'd actually be very efficient use, people struggle to see that as green exactly but the simplest thing is the efficiency of the entire production so yea I agree. Ideally we stop with coal because its beaten by better forms of energy production that is more efficient but its not the case now. End of decade hypothetically UK should be leading Europe

Coal use rose this month when icy, calm weather quieted wind farms and strained the electricity system. The European Union generated 22% of its power with coal and its sister fuel lignite, also known as brown coal, in the first two weeks of December, said Mr. Czyżak. That is up from 17% in the same period last year and from the 15% average for the whole of 2021.
In Europe’s interconnected market, coal power flowed across borders.
At times, Great Britain meets more than half its power demand with wind. On Dec. 11, that fell to less than 4% just as demand jumped, according to National Grid ESO. The power-grid operator ordered two standby coal units to warm up in case they needed to generate power the next day.
National Grid stood the generators down after high U.K. prices pulled in power from the continent and Norway along subsea cables. Some came from France, which passed on power it had imported from Belgium, Switzerland, Spain, Italy—and in particular Germany, where coal and lignite plants were running full throttle.
In the first two weeks of December, Germany generated 49% more power with coal and 6% more with lignite than in the same period a year ago, according to EnAppSys Ltd.
“It’s a security of supply issue across Europe and the Germans had some plants that they could bring back, so that’s what they did,” said Jean-Paul Harreman, a director at the data analysis and consulting firm. “If the Germans didn’t deliver, then the French would have a problem.”
Wind speeds and temperatures have since picked up while several French nuclear reactors have come back online. But finding ways to meet demand when renewables flicker is one of the biggest challenges facing governments and companies over the next decade, energy executives say.
Neither hydrogen nor batteries, which could store power to be released when wind speeds drop, are ready to be produced or deployed at scale

Last edited:
holey moley... just checked my energy use so far today ........ consumption is 27.5kwh and it's only 4:20!.

the battery was flat by 9:30 and my solar generated just under 2kwh so not made a dent. currently used 20kwh from the grid..

oh well it's only once a year and I have cooked for 3 families and turned the underfloor heating on which only happens 2 or 3 times a year.

reckon I will be at 35kwh from the grid (getting on for 45kwh total) by the time the day is up which is right up there with when I used to mine crypto.

Last edited:
Pointless article with no real context of usage figures, what they were using before etc.

Heat pump hasn't been sold as a device to save you money it's more of a way of heating with electric instead of gas, so fits in well with things like solar panel and battery systems.

How often you next to clean it and I heard the cost is a lot

From the following link it says it uses a 2thirds less energy but it costs more to run than a gas boiler.
So it is not really cheaper.

Last edited:
holey moley... just checked my energy use so far today ........ consumption is 27.5kwh and it's only 4:20!.

the battery was flat by 9:30 and my solar generated just under 2kwh so not made a dent. currently used 20kwh from the grid..

oh well it's only once a year and I have cooked for 3 families and turned the underfloor heating on which only happens 2 or 3 times a year.

reckon I will be at 35kwh from the grid (getting on for 45kwh total) by the time the day is up which is right up there with when I used to mine crypto.

Our three bed detached cost near enough £400 this past month although my mother is staying for Christmas. Just best not to think about it really :p.

i went to Butlins for a few days (rather than having a birthday party for the lad as it's right on Xmas) I was quite angry tbh at the waste.... despite setting the heating to minimum the heater was blowing red hot air into the room. middle of December and we had the heater on unable to disable it fully and had to open all the windows over night and we pulled the duvet out of its cover and just used the empty cover. no wonder their energy bills are through the roof.
(and dont get me started at the waste on the foot buffets but that isn't Butlins fault)

Last edited:
There is nothing fundamentally wrong with plastic bags, the issue is what people did with them (E.g. don’t re-use or recycle them and far too many end up in the environment).

Cutting down trees (aka single use paper bags) is not the alternative. If anything the rise of posh paper bags from shops are as much as a disaster as single use plastic bags were.

Most of my ‘reusable’ bags (like a bag should be anything but reusable) have plastic in them as do most peoples and no one seems to be bothered about that.

The plastic free ones I have are actually just worse products and probably will not last as long.
Well said, I return my plastic bags every week to morrisons.

My owned heavy duty bags get reused and not thrown away. Whole thing got escalated well out of proportion.

Back
Top Bottom