Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

If you rinse your plates in the sink first it's still all going to the same place as putting it in the dishwasher. I scrape off any left overs into the bin and then straight in the dishwasher, plates, pans, knifes, forks, glasses, cups. The lot. It comes out clean and it saves a family of 4 countless hours!

Next stop is the washing. Every times I have to wash it, put it out to dry and then put it away I'm thinking how I can make it more efficient. Time wise of course. The tumble dryer is banned.
Indeed but the generally narrow soft tube return on the dishwasher is more likely to clog.

But for instance parents scrape of anything into the food bin (not the normal bin), scrape fats/oils etc into the normal bin/use kitchen towel to wipe and a quick rince under tap before putting in the dishwasher. The rince probably not all that needed but yeah. Different habits but would deffo do the other two prior to sticking in the dish washer that is then on an Eco mode 40c wash for their particular dishwasher. It is about half the cost of an eco 60c wash and about 1/3rd of a standard 70c wash for them.

I've always had a dishwasher since being a kid. I just find it crazy that people are being asked to wash plates and cooking pans with cold water
The average temperature of sink water is ideal for bacterial growth so I'm not sure it makes all that much difference - the main benefit to hotter water is removing grease etc but maybe Fairy is formulated now to work better at lower temperatures.

now you see i'm waiting for an apology from the goverment ... we are an island rich in coal .. but we import wood to burn and gas to burn ? new coal fired generators can be made to conform to air regulations ..
which would give a lot of people jobs boost the economy.. it's like it's planned to bring down the middle class and those of us that work hard ?

now you see i'm waiting for an apology from the goverment ... we are an island rich in coal .. but we import wood to burn and gas to burn ? new coal fired generators can be made to conform to air regulations ..
which would give a lot of people jobs boost the economy.. it's like it's planned to bring down the middle class and those of us that work hard ?
Yes as both “biofuel” and gas are FAR cleaner than coal.

Just because you can force a coal plant to get to regulation doesn’t mean it’s a good fuel.

The biggest issue with heating etc in this country is our obsession with old draughty houses and the associated planning permissions that stifle innovation.

The average temperature of sink water is ideal for bacterial growth so I'm not sure it makes all that much difference - the main benefit to hotter water is removing grease etc but maybe Fairy is formulated now to work better at lower temperatures.
yes guess how they Fairy done that adding more caustic/alkali components ... so need a more thorough rinse and (start to use ) gloves, over 18's only
my outdoor swarfega cleaner 5L/£7 would probably be great for the dishes (thats what sodium laureth sulphate, also used in shampoo/fairy, was invented for)

washing dishes in hot water means the water evaporates in minutes, so no tea towel needed, and much more comfortable if kitchen is not 21C

It crosses my line on energy usage :D

Heh. But what about all the time and effort saved bro? Lol!

That is exactly what I was trying to get at with my question :D

Everyone's line is different. You seemed surprised that people would use cold water to wash dishes, yet you don't even seemingly have a heat pump drier to save time to dry your clothes without it costing an arm and a leg :p

I may wash my dishes with cold water for the most part, but then I also use my heat pump tumble drier where as you don't.

Last edited:
Heh. But what about all the time and effort saved bro? Lol!

That is exactly what I was trying to get at with my question :D

Everyone's line is different. You seemed surprised that people would use cold water to wash dishes, yet you don't even seemingly have a heat pump drier to save time to dry your clothes without it costing an arm and a leg :p

I may wash my dishes with cold water for the most part, but then I also use my heat pump tumble drier where as you don't.
Exactly. It's all about effort vrs energy expenditure. For me the tumble dryer is too expensive to run but washing dishes by hand takes too much time and effort. Not each time but collectively.

Once the washing is put out I don't have to spend time, energy or money drying it.

Oh... I know exactly what you were getting at btw ;)

Last edited:
Exactly. It's all about effort vrs energy expenditure. For me the tumble dryer is too expensive to run but washing dishes by hand takes too much time and effort. Not each time but collectively.

Once the washing is put out I don't have to spend time, energy or money drying it.

Oh... I know exactly what you were getting at btw ;)

Haha :D

Air dry bro. Even works with cold water :)

But I get what you mean though. I don't mind doing dishes. It's when we get lazy and let it build up that it can be a chore. That's when I take the chance to catch up on a podcast, so not all is lost. Good thing is zero cost doing it like this and you save money that you can use to dry your clothes in a tumble drier :p;)

I will probably get a dishwasher when we eventually do our kitchen up though. Would come in handy when we get guests staying over.

But I get what you mean though. I don't mind doing dishes. It's when we get lazy and let it build up that it can be a chore. That's when I take the chance to catch up on a podcast, so not all is lost. Good thing is zero cost doing it like this and you save money that you can use to dry your clothes in a tumble drier :p;)

I will probably get a dishwasher when we eventually do our kitchen up though. Would come in handy when we get guests staying over.
Yea I get that. There are 4 of us in the house (two young kids) plus the wife insists on using everything in the kitchen to make a meal :D

• Haha
Reactions: TNA

I'm actually now looking at heated dryers in a shop. Right this second... Random :D

Just because you can force a coal plant to get to regulation doesn’t mean it’s a good fuel.

The biggest issue with heating etc in this country is our obsession with old draughty houses and the associated planning permissions that stifle innovation.

I agree. Knock em all down and build quadruple glazed fully insulating boarded etc.

We use the tumble dryer, have little choice. 7 people in the house, no where near enough radiators to dry the clothes. Will just have to pay for it simple as that, for the amount of convenience we get I will pay.

yep bio fuel (wood chips) .. that we import from the usa eu and other far away places .. the ships themselves use ??? at a staggering rate

Never owned a dishwasher or had a particlar want for one. Easy enough to fill a plastic bowl smaller than the actual sink with enough water to wash with, doesn't need to be hot and wash whatever dishes are out which is usually very little in the first place.

With cloths we have a condenser dryer that my mam refuses to stop using saying its "too cold" to put things outside which is complete rubbish, it will certaintly get rid of a massive chunk of moisture. I'm moving into a small 2 bed hopefully soon with a washer dryer being left behind by the current owner, with no room to put a seperate dryer (unless I put one into the 2nd bedroom)

Just getting a cloths line for the back garden and an IKEA frost drying rack to put up in the kitchen with the window open when its raining. During winter will be a case of using doing what I can to get as much moisture out of the cloths for free finishing in the dryer if needed. However for me, I don't really wear anything that is thick and will take a long time to dry apart from towels.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom