Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

I doubt it seeing as even China admit the policy was flawed, and is now reversed.

The vast majority of developed countries have a problem that forecasting shows an ever increasing dependency ratio and a SHORTAGE of new births.

The problem is not population its distribution of population around the globe. These arbitrary lines drawn on maps mean that areas with low birth rates need the migration, and yet simultaneously many of those living in these areas are hyper anti migration.
This.

Current policy and general public thinking is geared towards a population distribution like that of 1966, not 2016 and especially not 2066

UK population distribution forecast by age:
xxbBXy0.png

I hope anyone on here under 40 understands retirement isn't going to be a thing anymore unless changes are made. Especially those in the "Baby implosion" (born year ~2000)

Baby boomers are all about to walk away from work. And they generally have a better work ethic than us young folk.

This.

Current policy and general public thinking is geared towards a population distribution like that of 1966, not 2016 and especially not 2066

xxbBXy0.png

I hope anyone on here under 40 understands retirement isn't going to be a thing anymore unless changes are made. Especially those in the "Baby implosion" (born year ~2000)

Baby boomers are all about to walk away from work. And they generally have a better work ethic than us young folk.
Yeah I read an article on the BBC about the government planning to 'encourage' over 50's back to work as so many of them have now said '**** it' and quit (including myself) and they've got no chance so I wish them, and you young folk, the best of luck. The unpalatable truth for some people is countries need lots of immigration or everything is going to fall apart.

Last edited:
Yeah I read an article on the BBC about the government planning to 'encourage' over 50's back to work as so many of them have now said '**** it' and quit (including myself) and they've got no chance so I wish them, and you young folk, the best of luck. The unpalatable truth for some people is countries need lots of immigration or everything is going to fall apart.

We need controlled immigration targeted at the right sectors though.

That said, I don’t see many people taking on extra responsibilities or promotions anymore, especially since Covid, young or old. People value their time more. I’m the same, especially when any additional income gets hammered with tax, there’s just no point.

I’m not at that age but this is a worrying thing. The level of “encouragement” the government could do could be quit significant depending on what they think they can get away with. There’s some positive encouragement they could do around pension allowances but there’s also some very negative ones around targeting peoples savings.

One thing they must do is really tackle health problems. Do what New Zealand are doing and banning smoking completely for an age group, increase sugar taxes more etc. this will help a lot with keeping people in work.

Last edited:
I’m not at that age but this is a worrying thing. The level of “encouragement” the government could do could be quit significant depending on what they think they can get away with. There’s some positive encouragement they could do around pension allowances but there’s also some very negative ones around targeting peoples savings.

One thing they must do is really tackle health problems. Do what New Zealand are doing and banning smoking completely for an age group, increase sugar taxes more etc. this will help a lot with keeping people in work.
I suspect there'll be a bit of carrot and a lot of stick involved. That 20k tax free ISA allowance must look awfully tempting to the government right about now.

I suspect there'll be a bit of carrot and a lot of stick involved. That 20k tax free ISA allowance must look awfully tempting to the government right about now.
My understanding this is very tightly covered with legislation so it would be very hard to target. I’m sure they may try though. It’s going to be political suicide if they do.

Last edited:
This.

xxbBXy0.png

I wouldn't say Boomers have a better work ethic, I'd say they have a poorer work-life balance.

My relationship with my father when I was growing up was non-existent, he was barely present due to working nights and alternating shift patterns means I would only see him 3 weekends in 8.

I had an opportunity to persue the same career path as him (and its an interesting and diverse job) but ultimately declined it because I would have to make the same sacrifices of barely seeing my kids grow up.

I give 100% effort to my work but not at the expense of my family or kids.

I wouldn't say Boomers have a better work ethic, I'd say they have a poorer work-life balance.

My relationship with my father when I was growing up was non-existent, he was barely present due to working nights and alternating shift patterns means I would only see him 3 weekends in 8.

I had an opportunity to persue the same career path as him (and its an interesting and diverse job) but ultimately declined it because I would have to make the same sacrifices of barely seeing my kids grow up.

I give 100% effort to my work but not at the expense of my family or kids.
whilst I don't disagree with you about the work life balance from an economics POV the result is the same...... you have a bunch of can do, work their fingers to the bone workforce calling it a day and the people replacing them, regardless of whether it is having a more workshy mentality or a healthier work life balance, on average they will likely get less done.

it's a wide brush I am painting with , and not everyone is the same but I know I would not want to work like my dad did.

that said some industries will be affected more than others.... automation does a lot more now.

Last edited:

As we saw with the initial Covid response, they just want us to work and pay taxes until we die to try in a vain attempt to prevent the inevitable decline of the country. Unfortunately for the government, it’s had the opposite effect which is to push people away and to just think ‘what’s the point, let’s look at our options’. Personally I now work to live.

As we saw with the initial Covid response, they just want us to work and pay taxes until we die to try in a vain attempt to prevent the inevitable decline of the country. Unfortunately for the government, it’s had the opposite effect which is to push people away and to just think ‘what’s the point, let’s look at our options’. Personally I now work to live.
Messing with people’s savings will be the last straw for many. It’s not hard to move or retire abroad. I’ll worry about it if it happens. I would be surprised if they dare do it.

Messing with people’s savings will be the last straw for many. It’s not hard to move or retire abroad. I’ll worry about it if it happens. I would be surprised if they dare do it.
A lot of older people have apparently gone 'sick' so no doubt the DWP will be applying some pressure there. When they're not on strike of course...

We need controlled immigration targeted at the right sectors though.

That said, I don’t see many people taking on extra responsibilities or promotions anymore, especially since Covid, young or old. People value their time more. I’m the same, especially when any additional income gets hammered with tax, there’s just no point.

Ironically we dont allow asylum seekers to work, I expect because once its determined they help the economy its harder to chuck them out.

Instead of getting the labour supply from people willing to come here to work, I expect they will target ESA and we will see something happening there to drag sick people back to work.

Last edited:
About time this issue got press coverage, lots of people claiming this isnt a thing. Ofgem have been covering their ears on it.

There is 100% no reason to sit on 2bn. This means there’s no problems at the top and surely prices haven’t increased for them to sit on this amount of cash and didn’t warrant putting people’s bills up.

There’s something a miss IMO. This doesn’t make sense. Same as other companies making more profit despite bills going up and supposedly their prices going up in other areas.

If bills are going up everywhere there shouldn’t be big profits and companies sitting on cash.

We need profits highlighted for all of the big companies.

There is 100% no reason to sit on 2bn. This means there’s no problems at the top and surely prices haven’t increased for them to sit on this amount of cash and didn’t warrant putting people’s bills up.

There’s something a miss IMO. This doesn’t make sense. Same as other companies making more profit despite bills going up and supposedly their prices going up in other areas.

If bills are going up everywhere there shouldn’t be big profits and companies sitting on cash.

We need profits highlighted for all of the big companies.
I think its the same reason as why Ofgem backed down on isolating customer credit balances, I think the companies have made threats, Ofgem **** their pants so turned the other way.

For accounting purposes I am not sure payments paid in advance count as profit on the balance sheet, remember this issue is not been billed higher but rather taking payments higher than bills and letting it get to extreme levels.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom