Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Never owned a dishwasher or had a particlar want for one. Easy enough to fill a plastic bowl smaller than the actual sink with enough water to wash with, doesn't need to be hot and wash whatever dishes are out which is usually very little in the first place.

With cloths we have a condenser dryer that my mam refuses to stop using saying its "too cold" to put things outside which is complete rubbish, it will certaintly get rid of a massive chunk of moisture. I'm moving into a small 2 bed hopefully soon with a washer dryer being left behind by the current owner, with no room to put a seperate dryer (unless I put one into the 2nd bedroom)

Just getting a cloths line for the back garden and an IKEA frost drying rack to put up in the kitchen with the window open when its raining. During winter will be a case of using doing what I can to get as much moisture out of the cloths for free finishing in the dryer if needed.
This what I was thinking before I had 3 kids now its better and easier and cheaper with dishwasher. Trust me ;)

Yes as both “biofuel” and gas are FAR cleaner than coal.

Just because you can force a coal plant to get to regulation doesn’t mean it’s a good fuel.

The biggest issue with heating etc in this country is our obsession with old draughty houses and the associated planning permissions that stifle innovation.
That Biofuel is grown half way around the world and shipped over, certainly not renewable or sustainable.

dish/clothes wash exactly, largely depends how many people are in the household, more people just means its impractical to dry outside, or do manual dishwashing, but with a larger household you should have anticipated that.

washing dishes with cold water, or yourself, this is contrarian or stoic behaviour, no one enjoys putting hands in cold water.

But still far cleaner than coal.
That doesnt appear accurate at all, even without factoring the transportation from the other side of the globe.

"Burning wood pellets releases as much or even more carbon dioxide per unit than burning coal."

That doesnt appear accurate at all, even without factoring the transportation from the other side of the globe.

"Burning wood pellets releases as much or even more carbon dioxide per unit than burning coal."
That's ignoring half the equation.

Burning wood anything emits plently of CO2 because the tree adsorbed that CO2 while it grew. So buring them does release CO2 most certainly, but the objective is that you then grow a new tree that readsrobs that released CO2 to make it "neutral".

You can't making growing/making any new coal in a hurry to make to make it CO2 neutral.

That's ignoring half the equation.

Burning wood anything emits plently of CO2 because the tree adsorbed that CO2 while it grew. So buring them does release CO2 most certainly, but the objective is that you then grow a new tree that readsrobs that released CO2 to make it "neutral".

You can't making growing/making any new coal in a hurry to make to make it CO2 neutral.
Which isn't what is happening, natural habitats for wildlife are being destroyed and labelled as carbon neutral. Woodpellets as a power source is a terrible idea packaged up as "renewable" to meet quotas, not only that but it receives obscene subsidies to do it.

Last edited:
washing dishes with cold water, or yourself, this is contrarian or stoic behaviour, no one enjoys putting hands in cold water.

Don’t think anyone here claimed they enjoyed it ;)

Point was it fine to do if you want to save energy. Not much different than refusing to use a tumble drier one could say.

If you’re not already using one, a heat pump tumble drier would probably save you a small fortune :)
indeed our heat pump uses less than half the power of our old condenser .. it takes ages esp on towel loads but other than that I can't knock it
as for dishwasher..... I have not done my own research it is just what I read, however apparently so long as you get an efficient one a full dishwasher on eco mode is meant to be generally more efficient than washing by hand.

of course it depends how you hand wash I guess..... but I would say most people don't use cold water to wash their dishes and watching my old house mate do them makes be die a little inside (slight exaggeration ;) ) - he has the mixer tap set to fairly warm and just runs is continually as he washes dishes.

our dishwasher iirc uses 13l of water and under a kWh again from memory, and we only tent to run it every other day covering family of 3 for 5-6 meals. (we start to run out of stuff and it gets pongy after 2 days)

Last edited:
I am not an expert but I think the point of wood pellets are it's meant to be waste wood rather than cutting down trees to burn , as such it's a way of getting rid of the waste. IF usable timber or old forest wood is being cut down to burn then I think that is criminal isn't it (as in literal not figurative)

also the difference between burning wood rather than coal is wood is CO2 which is already unlocked ,. wood is short term and one way or another that CO2 is getting released sooner rather than later. OTOH the carbon in coal has been locked up for millions of years so burning that is essentially adding to the carbon rather than recycling what is already free.
Iike I said am not an expert tho.

Last edited:
Coal is ok when you account for the fact a lot of gas leaks and finds it’s way to atmosphere and has a much bigger effect on climate (x16 vs co2 I think )

Coal is ok when you account for the fact a lot of gas leaks and finds it’s way to atmosphere and has a much bigger effect on climate (x16 vs co2 I think )
Coal mining is a major contributor to methane leaking into atmosphere.
But while methane is a potent greenhouse gas, it is broken down and cleared from atmosphere quite rapidly, so net effect is not that much.

Just checked my British Gas account and +£67 has been credited today on the 22nd. That’s the latest of the three so far, 6th, 16th now 22nd!
Can’t complain just thought I’d share if anyone else is still waiting and with BG.

Just checked my British Gas account and +£67 has been credited today on the 22nd. That’s the latest of the three so far, 6th, 16th now 22nd!
Can’t complain just thought I’d share if anyone else is still waiting and with BG.
Same here with EDF, a week earlier than the previous ones.

You’re not allowed to fit oil fired boilers in homes in France and the same edict will apply to gas fired boilers from 2025.

People that thought they were going green by fitting wood pellet burning boilers have had a shock as the price of pellets has doubled since the end of 2021.

Electrically powered heat pump CH had state grants for a year or two, but it just isn’t worth doing if you have an old stone house. Electricity price rises should be capped at 15% through to 2024, but having cheap electricity isn’t much use if you’re having blackouts due to low grid supply.

Back
Top Bottom