Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

I just received an email from my provider (Eon) saying that our new direct debit will be £335 from April, they also said we were £961 in debit. They took over our previous energy provider.

As of last month we were £83 in credit and did not owe anything. They now randomly sent us this email saying we owe money along with the updated direct debit notification.

This is ******* ridiculous, we will be calling them in the morning because it makes no sense. We are also a two person household with very conservative use of our appliances and everything else generally.

There is zero way we can pay this amount and it seems they just made up a number and are now saying we owe it.

I just cant. I physically cannot afford to pay even remotely close to that kind of direct debit I don't know what to do. Its more than half my rent.

Last edited:
Find ourselves with price increase we physically cannot pay, its more than anger.
We literally cannot afford these kind of prices, what do they want us to do? Choose between paying the rent and having electricity? Theres no where for us to cut from.

They are asking for amounts that no normal person can afford, fixed rates being just as ridiculous.

Find ourselves with price increase we physically cannot pay, its more than anger.
We literally cannot afford these kind of prices, what do they want us to do? Choose between paying the rent and having electricity? Theres no where for us to cut from.

They are asking for amounts that no normal person can afford, fixed rates being just as ridiculous.

What's your annual energy consumption in kWh, gas and electric?

I agree it's ridiculous, they had a mum in tears on BBC news as she can't even afford hot water.

Best thing is to check your actual usage against the bill, they may have billed you on estimates. Check what tariff you are on as well, the cheapest will be the variable plan as its limited by the price cap (~28p per kwh for electric).

I agree it's ridiculous, they had a mum in tears on BBC news as she can't even afford hot water.

Best thing is to check your actual usage against the bill, they may have billed you on estimates. Check what tariff you are on as well, the cheapest will be the variable plan as its limited by the price cap (~28p per kwh for electric).

I also don't understand how they have just come up with a debit owed of £961 when we were previously in credit as of last month.

-_-
I can't do anything until tomorrow anyway.

It is worth everyone on the capped rates or going to the new capped rate on the 1st April to submit a meter reading this Thursday. This will lock in your energy use up to that point on the previous capped rate.

I can see people cancelling their direct debit for electricity, paying what they can and just building up the debt. I doubt the companies would start to disconnect people and families on a massive scale, but I wouldn't want to be proved wrong.

I have no ability to pay this, I can’t increase my income to match it, I can’t cut expenses ( i have none outside of essentials right now ). I’m the event they do expect us too, we’ll I would have to do exactly that.

I don’t smoke I don’t drink I don’t have lots of subscriptions, I dont have any tv packages. I have one car which has very low usage as I live next to where I work.

£335 a month is what £4020 a year. I know it’s ridiculous and we should be able to fix this after we speak to them but Jesus Christ.

I have no ability to pay this, I can’t increase my income to match it, I can’t cut expenses ( i have none outside of essentials right now ). I’m the event they do expect us too, we’ll I would have to do exactly that.

I don’t smoke I don’t drink I don’t have lots of subscriptions, I dont have any tv packages. I have one car which has very low usage as I live next to where I work.

£335 a month is what £4020 a year. I know it’s ridiculous and we should be able to fix this after we speak to them but Jesus Christ.
There'll be millions of people in the same boat, the government will have to get a grip and do something IMO.

All you can do is use what you can afford. Unfortunately that means microwave meals and reading a book using very little electricity. Sitting in the cold through winter.

Working towards a better paid job.

The amount they've quoted must include an element of paying off the £961 (rightly or wrongly). If the £4k was just based on annual usage it equates to around 13,300 kWh.

All you can do is use what you can afford. Unfortunately that means microwave meals and reading a book using very little electricity. Sitting in the cold through winter.

Working towards a better paid job.

For a lot of people even if they are earning good money, the increases are just not workable.

Energy bills of multiple hundreds of pounds a month is going to affect even middle class families.

For a lot of people even if they are earning good money, the increases are just not workable.

Energy bills of multiple hundreds of pounds a month is going to affect even middle class families.
I know, the government aren’t doing enough about energy companies ripping off the public.
All we can do is protest and cut back in the short term if you’ve not the money to make your own personal power station. It totally sucks.

I know, the government aren’t doing enough about energy companies ripping off the public.
All we can do is protest and cut back in the short term if you’ve not the money to make your own personal power station. It totally sucks.

Which energy companies are rippping off the public?

Back
Top Bottom