Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Supermarkets probably do. Why not squeeze a few bob more from areas percieved to be better off. I don't think they do national pricing on essentials.

I wouldn't have thought large national supermarkets had localised pricing and on googling this article from 2018 came up which confirms they don't - though that is by choice, not enforced.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43979167

What they do vary by region and the demographic of the clients is the type of product they sell.

Whilst I agree there are higher costs, it's not as if income tax is localised. It is not somebody's fault that they live in Cornwall and shouldn't pay more in standing charge than someone in London.

Well its thier choice right?
Income tax is different. It's income tax.

If you live in a place that is expensive to service you pay higher prices.

Is certainly no less fair for others to subsidise those living in those areas.

You can argue it should be like royal mail, or NHS. Or it should be how it is.
Either are valid really. It's an age old argument.

I have been asked to double my direct debit by my electricity supplier but I'm just going to leave it as is, I will give them an estimate on Thursday!!!
Shell wanted me to move from £85 per month to £250...

I used £135 in Nov, £140 in Dec & £110 in Jan for my combined energy bill.. Its dropped to £90 for Feb as I started reducing our usage quite a bit.

Why or how they came up with the £250 number, I don't know. Especially as those extra expensive months were just eating away at a £400 credit balance.

I changed it myself to £145 per month, knowing full well I'll be using FAR less than that over the coming warmer months. Hopefully store up a little bit of credit for them to eat away at in the winter months.

Its not being abused, it’s working exactly how OFGEM set it up to do.

Per the BBC article OFGEM have reallocated some network costs to different areas and added some fixed costs to the standing charge that were previously recouped from the unit rate. In effect, making unit rates cheaper.

You can argue that is a regressive pricing strategy but you need to take that up with OFGEM, not your energy supplier.

Isn't that the point of my post where I say "let's see what OFGEM do about it" as in, any change will have to come from OFGEM :confused:

IMO, the amount being paid in standing charge is excessive and shouldn't be the level it is at.

We will be talking to Eon, soon but nothing about the numbers add up.

The usage on the account is shown as 10,175 KWH, our current tarrif has rates of 20.87p/kwh.

The metre reading we provided yesterday dropped the owed debit by almost £400. I don't know where they are getting this magical number from.

******* disgusting, I'll update you guys after I've spoken to them. I want to get this sorted and move to another provider asap.

Well its thier choice right?
Income tax is different. It's income tax.

If you live in a place that is expensive to service you pay higher prices.

Is certainly no less fair for others to subsidise those living in those areas.

You can argue it should be like royal mail, or NHS. Or it should be how it is.
Either are valid really. It's an age old argument.
Depends on where you want to draw the line. A portion of crossrail is being met by the DFT which comes from general taxation, is that any more fair?

They are trying to say that the last five months we should have been paying £269 a month estimated from when they took over from igloo.

We had a tarrif and sent readings, and they are saying that. It’s like they are retroactively just applying what ever they ******* want.

I dunno what to do. They are trying to get us to setup a payment plan based on this wild estimate rate.

The guy on the phone told us to apply for the fund. They are telling us to call Cab and do budget forms aswell like what?

They are trying to say that the last five months we should have been paying £269 a month estimated from when they took over from igloo.

We had a tarrif and sent readings, and they are saying that. It’s like they are retroactively just applying what ever they ******* want.

I dunno what to do. They are trying to get us to setup a payment plan based on this wild estimate rate.

The guy on the phone told us to apply for the fund. They are telling us to call Cab and do budget forms aswell like what?

Have you worked out what your annual usage is?

I posted above that it just says 10,175 on the app and website.

I have no idea how to verify that, is that based off estimates or the meter reading we gave them yesterday.

The person we spoke to simply told that what we have been paying was not enough. We sent them a reading and this debit was lowered by almost £300. It’s still £691 owed though, which last month was only £29.

They are offering a single rate tarrif too. Asking us to setup a payment plan on regards to the outstanding debit. This would be £279.

Standing rate: 37p/kwh
Rate: 29p/kWh

Bar the debit owed with our usage it would bring it way down but then the question we have is the huge amount they say we are suddenly owing.

Last edited:

I have no idea how to verify that, is that based off estimates or the meter reading we gave them yesterday.

That's very high. Avg usage is about 4-5 KWH / year

Have you got any older statements, you can work out what your usage has been from them over a period of time.

The person we spoke to simply told that what we have been paying was not enough. We sent them a reading and this debit was lowered by almost £300. It’s still £691 owed though, which last month was only £29.

They are offering a single rate tarrif too. Asking us to setup a payment plan on regards to the outstanding debit. This would be £279.

Standing rate: 37p/kwh
Rate: 29p/kWh

Bar the debit owed with our usage it would bring it way down but then the question we have is the huge amount they say we are suddenly owing.

This was my response to @Lysander

Interesting that you mention you're with eon, I've spent the entire day with them trying to explain to them that they've ****** up our readings. According to them we've used ~4500 (day only) since november because they've decided to take an estimated reading when we were switch over from symbion ~4000 lower than the numbers symbion gave them and they are struggling to see what the problem is.

In addition to this, I remembered my sister was also having very high usage electricity bills recently which she'd been trying to get to the bottom of - turns out she's also with eon.

The person who was responding to the emails has no longer responded, so we've started the whole thing again. Unfortunately, person #2 seemed to immediately get it in her first email, then sent us an ammended bill with the exact problem - the numbers using their estimated readings.

That's very high. Avg usage is about 4-5 KWH / year

Have you got any older statements, you can work out what your usage has been from them over a period of time.

We are going to get a statement from them today after our latest reading.

So the usage estimate will change.

10,175 is extremely high and obviously wrong. I’ll keep you guys updated.

This was my response to @Lysander

The person who was responding to the emails has no longer responded, so we've started the whole thing again. Unfortunately, person #2 seemed to immediately get it in her first email, then sent us an ammended bill with the exact problem - the numbers using their estimated readings.

I’m not sure what to do honestly. It’s like they just want to use the fund to pay off peoples debts that they are creating extremely high estimates For.

Last month our debit was about £29. Nothing had changed at this point. This is all just so extreme.

Depends on where you want to draw the line. A portion of crossrail is being met by the DFT which comes from general taxation, is that any more fair?

I get your point. Its not fair or unfair either way. In UK we seem to do a lot of things one way and others differently.

As to if its fair? Depends on your views.

We are going to get a statement from them today after our latest reading.

So the usage estimate will change.

10,175 is extremely high and obviously wrong. I’ll keep you guys updated.

What meter readings did you record and on what dates?

10,175 is high but only if you has gas C/H and hot water. If you use electric showers, electric heating, immersion hot water etc, then I could easily see your figures being that high annually.

I wouldn't say 10k units is absolutely wrong. You should know if it is at that level though.

As above with significant electric used for CH/HW it could easily be that high.

I’ll get back to you guys with more deets later as I deal with it. At work right now so little difficult.
I just needed a place to talk about it and I know you guys understand this stuff a little more than I do.

Apologies if I come across a little emotional.

Back
Top Bottom