Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Yep. I was one of them at the time and thought you was making the bad move. But who would have thought things were going to end up the way they did. One thing I did not take into account was you said you managed to get zero exit fees on your contract. I did not think that would be possible on such a long term fix.

You did very well in the end :)

Yeah no one could have predicted that. It came with 200 pounds topcashback too.

Looking back. I was fairly 50:50. But that 200 and no exit fee was a no brainer.
It was the longest possible fix

Feels like a long time ago. Wasn't even a year and a half!

Last edited:
Reactions: TNA
Wonder how long the current whole prices will continue to fall, they are currently at 151p/therm below what it was before the Ukraine invasion took place and hopefully it will continue to fall as its still 3 times higher than the "norm".

Last edited:
Wonder how long the current whole prices will continue to fall, they are currently at 151p/therm below what it was before the Ukraine invasion took place and hopefully it will continue to fall as its still 3 times higher than the "norm".
I'm sure something will be along shortly to prop them up again. Someone somewhere is enjoying those profits.

gas prices may have dropped but tax-payer/govt has subsidised prices for past 4 months, so that needs to recovered alongside any opening up of the freemarket,
so expect perpetuating high standing charge in addition to help for those in need (the £900). This winters not over yet and promise of an EPG next winter still seems attractive.

I thought the goverment said they were going to unlink electricity from gas? We have all these massive windfarms up here yet get no benefit from them. They were "supposed" to deliver cheaper energy prices but that can't happen as long as the price of electricity is tied to the price of gas.

I thought the goverment said they were going to unlink electricity from gas? We have all these massive windfarms up here yet get no benefit from them. They were "supposed" to deliver cheaper energy prices but that can't happen as long as the price of electricity is tied to the price of gas.
That was announced during the disaster Kwasi Kwarteng budget.

I'd expect that idea to be dead in the water now.

Same, electricity prices i can handle as I can reduce to almost nothing if I really have to, but gas is killing us at the moment. For Dec it was £120 for E and £230 for gas. We use it for Cooking/hot water/Heating and to reduce it any more would seriously impact our quality of living.

For me it's other way around. If I really had to I could turn down heating to 18c

But using less electricity would be really hard.

But using less electricity would be really hard.

I guess it's down to how the house is run, gas runs our most basic living needs but with electricity, if I really had to, I can just read/watch on my tablet next to my lamp on my night stand and draw no more than a few watts per hour.

Last edited:
I love the way they're selling this halving inflation.
5% inflation by December 2023 means prices 5% higher than December 2022 which means prices about 16-17% higher than December 2021.

All while telling you that you need to accept a less than inflation pay rise (About a third if you're public sector) and to focus on your pay rise next year that'll probably be less than inflation.

How are people not nailing politicians to the wall with this...

Last edited:
We use between 30 and 40 Kw a day atm and I'm buggered if I know where it's going.

We are part business, but it's a farm and a livery so you would have thought not exactly high 'leccy usage. Our base load through the night is around 500-800W of which I can account for about half of that.

The biggest unknown I have is the electric fence. Does anyone know what they use? Are they pulling all the time or just when an animal touches them? I've googled but can't seem to find any power usage figures for energizers.

Electric fences use very little energy, comparable to a light bulb in most cases. Depends on the energizer and its input/output.

If your looking for something that's using high amounts of energy, the most likely culprit is something thats being used to heat up.

5% inflation by December 2023 means prices 5% higher than December 2022 which means prices about 16-17% higher than December 2021.

All while telling you that you need to accept a less than inflation pay rise (About a third if you're public sector) and to focus on your pay rise next year that'll probably be less than inflation.

I expect most people think of inflation (especially when in news) as an up/down thing. And when headlines like "inflation falls" are banded around people think it means prices fall.

because for the most part people don't understand it and a good chunk of the population is still geared to accepting tories = good and swallow whatever they're told.

your take on the target is exactly right.. I wish in work I could achieve my targets by doing literally nothing. Really what they should be talking about is creating deflation to go back to where we started.. god forbid.

Does anyone know how many Octopus energy saving sessions there has been?

We have done five, I see there is one tomorrow 9am-10am but its been a while since we have done one so not sure if we've missed any

The Tories did exactly what people were asking for - or have you forgotten about Liz Truss's budget already - and look how well that turned out.

Do you think the Government are just heartless meanies that don't want to give everyone more money? Why, why would they bother. If it was so easy to just give everyone what they wanted - why wouldn't they? What possible reason - it would make their lives so easy.

I'm pretty sure I know what my employer would say if I ask for an 'above inflation' pay rise. In the current crisis, I'm happy to just have a job.

Last edited:
We use between 30 and 40 Kw a day atm and I'm buggered if I know where it's going.

We are part business, but it's a farm and a livery so you would have thought not exactly high 'leccy usage. Our base load through the night is around 500-800W of which I can account for about half of that.

The biggest unknown I have is the electric fence. Does anyone know what they use? Are they pulling all the time or just when an animal touches them? I've googled but can't seem to find any power usage figures for energizers.
May be an idea to put a energy monitor on to it to find out. Not that it really matters - not like you've got the option to turn it off.

Back
Top Bottom