Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Inherited one with the house. It was on fire a month. Saw the quite ridiculous cost and turned it off.

Became a burden. Felt you had to go in because paying for it.
The cost was much higher than the manufacturers (no surprise ) quoted

And this was when units were cheap
the trick with hot tubs (I did a lot of research and have mates with them) never buy a cheap on as the corners cut are on insulation. pay for the best insulation upgrades you can including on the base underneath it as well as the lid for the top.

also for a home hot tub you probably don't need it at 38-40 degrees like you may get at a spa. 36-38 is likely fine when you are paying for the leccy bill . those 2 degrees will save you a fair bit.

IF I get one I will be looking to get it up to temp using off peak electricity pricing .

the trick with hot tubs (I did a lot of research and have mates with them) never buy a cheap on as the corners cut are on insulation. pay for the best insulation upgrades you can including on the base underneath it as well as the lid for the top.

also for a home hot tub you probably don't need it at 38-40 degrees like you may get at a spa. 36-38 is likely fine when you are paying for the leccy bill . those 2 degrees will save you a fair bit.

IF I get one I will be looking to get it up to temp using off peak electricity pricing .

Who knows what this was. But it was more than I expected. Even in summer at 38c.

I'm not really a hot tub person anyway.

It was using twice as much juice as the entire house. Unjustifiable for me

Big 6 person Canadian spa one

Last edited:
I love a hot tub but the way things are I should maybe just pay for 3 or 4 over night spa breaks a year with the wife instead. I get a spa, and earn brownie points at the same time for similar price

also don't have to faff around with the chemistry set needed for water quality

Still uses a bucket load of electricity with current costs. Fair enough if you use it plenty. Ours is off.

I love a hot tub but the way things are I should maybe just pay for 3 or 4 over night spa breaks a year with the wife instead. I get a spa, and earn brownie points at the same time for similar price

also don't have to faff around with the chemistry set needed for water quality

Agreed. Saves on all the cleaning and maintenance. It was fun during lockdowns and at least makes our current energy bill look normal.

Wouldn’t fancy trying to sell a hot tub right now.

Last edited:
Still uses a bucket load of electricity with current costs. Fair enough if you use it plenty. Ours is off.

Agreed. Saves on all the cleaning and maintenance. It was fun during lockdowns and at least makes our current energy bill look normal.

Wouldn’t fancy trying to sell a hot tub right now.

Tempted to give ours away.

Yeah we can easily get to 15kwh if dishwasher, tumble and washing machine are on with the TV on for the evening. And we are a house of 2

Only takes one high power constant use machine to put it really high. Especially something like a hot tub
Rather than trying to disprove your point, I was just pointing out how our usage gets to that level using utilities that we use most days :)

I can use over 40kwh per day in the winter thanks to stupid storage heaters. 2 heaters x 2kw x 7 hours = 28KWH on their own every night in a really cold snap and with crappy not-that-much-cheaper economy 7 rates it costs a fair penny.

Last edited:
Got home, upstairs was down to 10C, figure I may stick the heating on for at least an extra hour tonight :p

Tempted to give ours away.

That along with the huge trampoline that the wife bought and used a handle full of times. You can guarantee we’d lockdown again the moment I get rid of them. I wouldn’t fancy moving the hot tub again either. The problem is that while I ‘winter prepared it’ a load more water has leaked in through the cover, probably back into the system. Doubt we’ll use it again, so it probably doesn’t matter.

Last edited:
We've just had our Smart Meters fitted at the new house, turns out the Gas pressure was low so the guy reckons that might be why the estimated Gas usage was loads...

See how long it is before Shell offers tariffs though as we were told that they won't offer tariffs at the mo so we are variable..
Electricity 32.81p/kWh and a standing charge of 45.75ppd
Gas is 10.24p/kWh and 28.48ppd standing charge..

A fair jump over what we were paying on the BG fixed tariff we were on at the old house...

We've just had our Smart Meters fitted at the new house, turns out the Gas pressure was low so the guy reckons that might be why the estimated Gas usage was loads...

See how long it is before Shell offers tariffs though as we were told that they won't offer tariffs at the mo so we are variable..
Electricity 32.81p/kWh and a standing charge of 45.75ppd
Gas is 10.24p/kWh and 28.48ppd standing charge..

A fair jump over what we were paying on the BG fixed tariff we were on at the old house...
Apart from Octopus, none of the providers are offering fixed tariffs due to the Government price fix scheme. The earliest that will change *might* be April, but unlikely since the scheme will still exist then but with a slightly higher cap rate

There's a thread somewhere on here where a few members and myself were debating if fix was good or not. This was all before putin. Seems so long ago now. But it really wasn't.

Need to look at options for 2024-25. Solar, insulation, new windows, new gas boiler, new house.

If prices are higher than now then.. Changes need making.

Yep. I was one of them at the time and thought you was making the bad move. But who would have thought things were going to end up the way they did. One thing I did not take into account was you said you managed to get zero exit fees on your contract. I did not think that would be possible on such a long term fix.

You did very well in the end :)

Back
Top Bottom