Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Isnt the price cap 3 monthly now? So that should mean the October price cap will be based on wholesale prices from July, August and September. So I think the price cap should be coming down? Im not sure what specific index is used though for the price cap.

No, its recalculated 3 monthly but its not based on the pricing from those 3 months.

The price cap is expected to come down, but settle above the £2500 average in 23.
In April it should be going up quite a lot. The cap will be above the gov £3000 average at that point.

They put prices up instantly though when wholesale price went up. It seems a bit like fuel pump, prices go up quickly but very slow to come back down.

Well, apart from the fact they didn't.
What actually happened is that many below cap prices were removed, due to them being loss leading.
You know, a lot of the loss making schemes that caused businesses to crash and being forced to close.

The cap is tracking the future price.

link to the post or can you elaborate what you did?

I can elaborate a little. (I find the search on forum a nightmare to use)

In October/September 2021 my supplier, Green, went down with the rest.
I was due to be put on shell energy.

I decided to make a post on here about "should I switch"

Suppliers were dropping like flies, much uncertainty was around. I kind of felt that there was more risk of up than down. But at that time variable was 3-4p for gas?

Anyway the fix was 5p gas/22p electricity fix. And it was for 3 years with Scottish Power. No exit fees, 200gbp cashback.

Most thought it was a bad idea. But I pushed on anyway (there were a lot of fixes at this time for that).

My reasoning, well, the 200gbp cashback covers the winter at the higher(5p gas) price than the SVR at the time. If things still look like SVR is great I can hop off and hopefully haven't lost too much (probably 100 at worst over winter)

Obviously I didn't predict the war. But I felt the volatility in market was more risk than reward.

We all know what happened next.
In hindsight it was one of the better financial decisions I've ever made. Even at that cheap rate my last bill was over 100 for month.
It also encouraged me to do same for mortgage. Which was more obvious to do. But same principle
It saves me 200 a month for over 2 years of the 3.maybe more of the prices go up. Yes of svr comes right down.
So could save anywhere between 2000 and up to 7000 if the pop really hits the fan. Fortunately it doesn't look like it will get to lol prices.

A few others @Uther for example is on a similar plan. But I know there aren't many of us.

Last edited:
They put prices up instantly though when wholesale price went up. It seems a bit like fuel pump, prices go up quickly but very slow to come back down.

This^^
I expect prices will never be what they were a few years back due to all of the little companies disappearing the bigger fish are under less pressure to lower prices, no competition and all that...

Its like when the Government say that XYZ has come down 5%, but neglect to mention the fact that 5% is still 15% higher than XYZ was a few years back..

In 11/12 months from this date we should see a sizeable reduction in prices. Time will tell.

Apart from the fact we wont, they go up a by a decent chunk and then come down a bit, but without all of the small companies that have gone bust over the last 12/18 months there's less competition so they will no doubt sing their own praises because they've driven prices down, while making even more money and the general cost of living continually creeping up.

I expect prices to stabilise between the government cap and "before" but I don't expect it to go back to early 2021 prices for a long time. If ever. Unless new tech (ie fusion for example) becomes viable

One of the stupid things happening is paying to turn of windfarms when we got excess power as there is no local built in storage suitable. Paying hundreds of millions instead of battery systems seems mental tbh. It certainly feels like it would give a solid boost by having these battery systems installed.

One of the stupid things happening is paying to turn of windfarms when we got excess power as there is no local built in storage suitable. Paying hundreds of millions instead of battery systems seems mental tbh. It certainly feels like it would give a solid boost by having these battery systems installed.
Councils could easily install them in council properties and allow them to grid share. They wouldn’t need to pay people to use less as they could store when generation is high and discharge when demand is high.

I expect prices to stabilise between the government cap and "before" but I don't expect it to go back to early 2021 prices for a long time. If ever. Unless new tech (ie fusion for example) becomes viable

21 was also historically cheap for many, prices dropped a lot due to COVID and reduced global consumption. You could get mega deals in 20 running into 21
They were already heading back up with some supply issues.

Councils could easily install them in council properties and allow them to grid share. They wouldn’t need to pay people to use less as they could store when generation is high and discharge when demand is high.

That may come eventually, right now there is a supply shortage.

8694509-A-D645-44-AA-A301-0946-E8-FA0-BD2.png
Slower than the market rate.
They rose very quickly as the graph shows.

Last edited:
Ideally you sell the surplus since we can't store it I read somewhere that Britains windfarms kept europe afloat during the previous cold spell...

Back
Top Bottom