Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

from google
A way to be definitive is to look at your electricity meter. If the serial number of the meter starts with “19P” then it's a first generation smart meter. If it starts with “19M” it's a second generation smart meter.

If you have a first generation smart meter, known as 'SMETS1', you'll have a keypad on your meter. If you have a second generation smart meter, known as 'SMETS2', you'll have A and B buttons.

I'm not sure this is exactly true, i have an A & B button no keypad and is an SMETS1 Landis meter.

The issues is loads of the meters SMETS1 & 2 meters look totally identical on the outside its a right PITA.

Last edited:
From what I hear (not sure about it) there's a queue to get on these tracker type plans isn't there?

Now there is apparently. I managed to get friends and family on before it became that way. Made a few months of free energy doing so too via referrals :D

Last edited:
Just signed up to Octopus, probably on their SVR tariff - I don't care what it is atm just need to get away from the god awful EDF (and off the current business tariff we're on and back to domestic!)

BTW, is there a way if I can tell if I've got a SMETS1 or 2 meter?

Make sure you get an Octopus referral code, you can add it to the site afterwards.

Splits £100 bill credit £50 each between you and whoever refers you.

The average household annual energy bill will plunge by more than £800 from July as gas prices continue to fall, a year after Russia first invaded Ukraine.

The price cap is forecast to fall to £2,165 from July, down from the £3,000 faced from April under the Government’s energy price guarantee, according to Investec.

It comes as European natural gas prices have fallen to their lowest levels in 18 months after a mild winter meant storage levels have remained high across the continent.

Wholesale costs for gas surged to record levels in August as Europe tried to reduce its reliance on Russian fuel after its invasion of Ukraine.

Household energy bills should stabilise later in the year, with the price cap rising modestly to £2,190 from October.

Investec's final estimate for the price cap in April is £3,332.

It means the Government will pay £332 per household to cover its annual average energy bill from that point as it caps the price paid at £3,000, up from its present cap of £2,500.

Should probably start to see new fixed deals from the summer..

Investec's final estimate for the price cap in April is £3,332.

It means the Government will pay £332 per household to cover its annual average energy bill from that point as it caps the price paid at £3,000, up from its present cap of £2,500.

expect to see announcement of continuing at £2.5K , to avoid economy impact
https://www.resolutionfoundation.org/publications/jeremy-hunts-smoothing-budget
In fact, the bill increases in April will be even starker as the £400 universal payments (the Energy Bills Discount) also come to an end then. Even as temperatures rise and energy usage falls, this means typical PPM customer monthly bills are on course to rise by 22 per cent from March to April (from £202 to £247).

The solution is pretty obvious. The Treasury can – and almost certainly will – delay the increase in EPG for three months to give wholesale prices time to feed through.

This will have a price tag, increasing the cost of the EPG next year from £1.5 billion to £4.5 billion.[1] A £3 billion increase is significant, but still leaves more significant savings compared to the expected cost of £12.8 billion at the time of the Autumn Statement. Put it this way: falling wholesale prices knocked 90 per cent off the estimated cost of the EPG next year. Even if the Chancellor chooses to iron this temporary bill rise out, the cost of the EPG in 2023-24 will still have fallen by around two-thirds (65 per cent) since last November.

The Treasury will be content to live with this because the cost is clearly temporary, with no impact on their central fiscal rule to have “debt falling in the medium term” or their ongoing exposure to wholesale gas price movements.
https://www.energy-uk.org.uk/index....ry-and-unaffordable-price-hikes-in-april.html , too.

"Living my best energy tarif"

Looks like the April to June 2023 Price Cap is coming down to £3,294 [The Energy Price Guarantee rises to £3,000]

The unit and SC costs :

52700742233_6d9fb0d73b_z.jpg

Last edited:
Investec's final estimate for the price cap in April is £3,332

so the accompanying unit prices from sdk's post Q223 are more expensive on the electricity than the original/last(pre epg) oct 22 caps - 54p vs 52p, similarly gas,
so current low gas prices are a blip, during these spring/summer months - why ?
(e: wrong - gas unit dropped slightly 15p->12p, but, still not maintaining current price)

Q4 (Oct-Dec 2022)ElectricityGas
Standing Charge (£/day)0.460.28
Per Unit Costs (p/kWh)52.0914.76

Last edited:
Bit surprised at the elec costs.
Thats going to cause quite a difference between those using gas for heating who will see a noticeable drop and those on elec who wont
do people use much, if any heating in Q2 and Q3 any way? (maybe i am just tight!). i suppose those with electric showers will notice it.

i am not that clued in so probably missing somehting obvious, but i just dont understand why they are so confident the prices wont rocket again next winter... is it just because gas is paid for in advance? in which case next spring or summer could be when it goes up?

Last edited:
do people use much, if any heating in Q2 and Q3 any way? (maybe i am just tight!). i suppose those with electric showers will notice it.

i am not that clued in so probably missing somehting obvious, but i just dont understand why they are so confident the prices wont rocket again next winter... is it just because gas is paid for in advance? in which case next spring or summer could be when it goes up?

Tado says our heating is on 6 months of the year last year.
Late October - early april

Last edited:

Its because they are forward purchasing and Cornwall see the contracts

I wasn't really looking at Q2 and Q3 but really more Q4 where the costs for a mainly electric household will be similar to now, but with no support
A gas heating using household will see an improvement on real rates from this year, but only a minor increase if you consider/assume the £400 wont be there

Back
Top Bottom