Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

I got an email from Octupus yesterday saying that I get an extra £200 from the goverment for my energy bills as I have a renewable energy source, which is handy! I wasn't expecting it. I'm guessing it's because I have solar panels for water heating

Solar panels shouldn't be included last I checked this was to do with having oil heaters instead of gas I think.

It's for people who don't use mains gas: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/c...s your main form of,in February or March 2023.

Do you have no mains gas?

Last edited:
I don’t get these stories about energy help continuing.

As I understand it, the price guarantee could remain in place to keep bills at £2500 instead of £3k. That’s all well and good, but if they also stop the £60 a month payment that we've all been getting, we’re still gonna be worse off surely?

For the short term yes. But from July the fall of the price cap would mitigate most of that and we'll be pretty much paying what we're paying right now for the rest of the year

Solar panels shouldn't be included last I checked this was to do with having oil heaters instead of gas I think.

It's for people who don't use mains gas: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/energy/energy-supply/get-help-paying-your-bills/help-with-bills-if-you-use-alternative-fuels/#:~:text=If you use alternative fuels as your main form of,in February or March 2023.

Do you have no mains gas?
I don't have any gas at all in my flat. All electric with solar for water heating

Exactly.

April-June should see for most lower bills even with unit prices higher. 20% higher costs but most should see at least 20% lower consumption.
Admittedly those on minimum now probably wont see 20% down. My gas for Feb for example was about 30% less than Jan (avg per day) and about 35% down vs Dec.
March is nippy right now but expect March to average lower than Feb and by April I would say I should be towards my minimum which is about 40% of what I am using now.

Yeah, we use gas for cooking, heating water and Heating. By April heating would be pretty much done and that's 90% of our gas bill. Our overall bill for both should half until we have a heatwave and then we have air-conditioners.

Last edited:
chancellor already put in place replacement to the £400 for vulnerable on income credit, disability £900 over 3 seasons, - so £67 is gone
apparently pre-payment meter system had to be prepped for April change yesterday, which sounded like strongest evidence that £2.5K will persist though,
Martin Lewis rant this am on r4today - can he speak normally. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001jl9j 2:38

Typical 50% drop in gas usage for April 1500->1000kwh just about offsets £69 loss , or, would do, had march been typical

Yeah, we use gas for cooking, heating water and Heating. By April heating would be pretty much done and that's 90% of our gas bill. Our overall bill for both should half until we have a heatwave and then we have air-conditioners.
please don't take this the wrong way, not trying to be offensive but... if you (not the literal you) are on the edge struggling to pay bills then I would say air-conditioning in the UK is somewhat of an expensive luxury. certainly I dont feel I justify the £67 help really... but I have always thought Aircon was too much of an extravagance for us. (I do have a swamp cooler for the hottest days)

Last edited:
please don't take this the wrong way, not trying to be offensive but... if you (not the literal you) are on the edge struggling to pay bills then I would say air-conditioning in the UK is somewhat of an expensive luxury. certainly I dont feel I justify the £67 help really... but I have always thought Aircon was too much of an extravagance for us. (I do have a swamp cooler for the hottest days)

LOL, a portable air-conditioner is hardly a luxury when it's not that expensive and I need it for health reasons. If I get too hot then I fall dangerously ill and might end up in the hospital. When it reached 37c last year I had to literally seal myself in a room with the air-con the whole day and couldn't leave. So please don't make assumptions about anyone's situation again if you don't mind.

LOL, a portable air-conditioner is hardly a luxury when it's not that expensive and I need it for health reasons. If I get too hot then I fall dangerously ill and might end up in the hospital. When it reached 37c last year I had to literally seal myself in a room with the air-con the whole day and couldn't leave. So please don't make assumptions about anyone's situation again if you don't mind.
Not to mention air con on certain days is not a luxury it is becoming a necessity as our houses turn into ovens.

Not to mention air con on certain days is not a luxury it is becoming a necessity as our houses turn into ovens.

Exactly, our living room went up to 42c on that day (or so my wife told me) that's a serious risk to health for a normal person let alone some one like me, even with the air-con on that day my room only went down to 32c which is what I could just about manage

Last edited:
You voted for people who despise those in poverty to be fair, what did you expect?

Also, extra help is available for the ill and poor as you are aware.
I wouldn’t expect too much different from Labour, especially under Tory lite Kier.

More help is available, but with the way prices are constantly rising, it’s already becoming insufficient.

which is why I wasn't aiming at the literal you. obviously if there is a medical need that is different but even then that would imply a more targeted approach for help may be better than everyone.

which is why I wasn't aiming at the literal you. obviously if there is a medical need that is different but even then that would imply a more targeted approach for help may be better than everyone.

While i'm classed as "Vulnerable" I'm not classed as disabled and I cannot be registered as so because it doesn't cover UC. So the only help I got was the cap and the £400, it's the only way I didn't fall through the gaps.

I got an email from Octupus yesterday saying that I get an extra £200 from the goverment for my energy bills as I have a renewable energy source, which is handy! I wasn't expecting it. I'm guessing it's because I have solar panels for water heating

All houses Not on the gas grid are getting the extra £200 as an alternate fuel payment. I had mine early in Feb.

On a different note Octopus paid out my last £67 energy payment for March on the 28th Feb? strange.

Back
Top Bottom