Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Thinking about it the only way I'd accept it right now (knowing I'm moving in 3 years) is if it was done for free but I reaped none of the benefits. But then selling could be an issue. Who wants to inherit a house with solar they can't benefit from? Just too many variables

Is a very difficult nut to crack.
Why would you reap none of the benefits?
The old scheme (bear in mind was FIT) was you made your roof available, the installers paid for the panels and got the FIT tariff, you got the electricity.

As above, isn't this potentially where something like Ripple comes into its own? Similar outlay to solar but the benefit is portable.

Yes indeed, if you don't have a suitable property (for whatever reason) its a way of in effect buying in green and in effect relocating your generation.
If your house mobile or have a property not suited to solar then its a very accesable way in

My only (minor) issue with Ripple is that you are tied in to one of their partner suppliers
Now that includes Octopus so right now that includes the IMO best supplier out there.

But should the market change you could be cut out of the best potential deals in future.
I expect sooner or later a significant fight back from the old suppliers or they are going to slowly fade into obscurity which could be offering some unique tariffs for a change.

Why would you reap none of the benefits?
The old scheme (bear in mind was FIT) was you made your roof available, the installers paid for the panels and got the FIT tariff, you got the electricity.

Yes indeed, if you don't have a suitable property (for whatever reason) its a way of in effect buying in green and in effect relocating your generation.
If your house mobile or have a property not suited to solar then its a very accesable way in

Sounds too good to be true! :D
Free money!

Last edited:
this is an impressive looking turbine blade. could do with some of those on our higher land

ignorant comment warning tho. is that really the best way to get them up there? what is the max load weight of say a Chinook chopper, could 2 of them not airlift them? (or is the air to thin at that altitude? )

Have you seen this one? I thought it was a life size model of a Brontosaurus coming around the corner when I first looked!! :D

There really needs to be an incentive/requirement to have solar fitted with refurbs and all new rebuilds/extensions with a suitable roof imo, as from what I understand the cost of the panels if fitted during say the roofing stage isn't massively more than the cost of just tiling, especially if they're the panels you fit instead of the tiles.

IIRC in some parts of the world it's becoming more and more normal for new commercial and public properties to get them as standard in part because of the long term savings. I know that Games Workshop have a ton of them, IIRC they built their new factory and run into an issue with the supply company deciding they couldn't supply the new incoming power for a long time unless paid a not so small fortune (the story I heard is that the supply company decided long after GW had checked and built, that they had hit capacity). So they put in the panels in part because it meant they could use some of the equipment and because it would offset itself over time given how much electricity they use.

Aldi are putting them on their new build stores. Keeps that refrigeration costs down. Also doors on the fridges.

ok well it seems lightning isnt going to strike twice...... my octopus go faster is ending on 23 april and i am looking at my options <ouch>

based on my usage for last 12 months my electricity costs for the year was £282 and if i use the same energy over the same times on flexible it will be.............. £1700

Does anyone know what the waiting list for Flux is? that seems like the one for me. i will contact octopus directly.... on one hand i want to get on the waiting list for it, on the other i want to keep my go faster 8:30pm-1:30 am as long as possible.

ok well it seems lightning isnt going to strike twice...... my octopus go faster is ending on 23 april and i am looking at my options <ouch>

based on my usage for last 12 months my electricity costs for the year was £282 and if i use the same energy over the same times on flexible it will be.............. £1700

Does anyone know what the waiting list for Flux is? that seems like the one for me. i will contact octopus directly.... on one hand i want to get on the waiting list for it, on the other i want to keep my go faster 8:30pm-1:30 am as long as possible.

Have they not offered to renew go faster?

Have they not offered to renew go faster?
it has ended...i could go onto octopus go but that isnt anywhere near as good.... we push almost all our heavy load onto go faster at 8:30pm.

octopus go starts at midnight iirc so we wont do as well out of it, and octopus go prices out of the cheap 4 hrs is over 40p. (and their cheap price is 12p.)

far cry from the 15p (peak) 5.5p 5hrs off peak i am paying at moment. (yeah i know... welcome to the real world etc)

flux looks doable i just need to plan an efficient energy plan for it as i cant easily change my battery charge and discharge times without going in the attic

it has ended...i could go onto octopus go but that isnt anywhere near as good.... we push almost all our heavy load onto go faster at 8:30pm.

octopus go starts at midnight iirc so we wont do as well out of it, and octopus go prices out of the cheap 4 hrs is over 40p. (and their cheap price is 12p.)

far cry from the 15p (peak) 5.5p 5hrs off peak i am paying at moment. (yeah i know... welcome to the real world etc)

flux looks doable i just need to plan an efficient energy plan for it as i cant easily change my battery charge and discharge times without going in the attic

Ah I wasnt sure if it was totally dead or not.
You had about the most ideal timings for people to use a load even when not charging batteries etc.

I find a very good chunk of my usage is deferred by my batteries, and dishwasher goes on in the go window as well. But its not ideal for washing machine etc.

If you come off a very good tariff then its always going to hurt more than if you had a less beneficial one.

Have you had an email from Octupus, giving you your options for renewal ? the 8.30pm start Go faster finished the middle of last year.
You might be able to get on to a later start option for the same Oct/Faster.

Have Octopus stated to you all Go Faster tariffs have ended?.

Last edited:
There really needs to be an incentive/requirement to have solar fitted with refurbs and all new rebuilds/extensions with a suitable roof imo, as from what I understand the cost of the panels if fitted during say the roofing stage isn't massively more than the cost of just tiling, especially if they're the panels you fit instead of the tiles.

IIRC in some parts of the world it's becoming more and more normal for new commercial and public properties to get them as standard in part because of the long term savings. I know that Games Workshop have a ton of them, IIRC they built their new factory and run into an issue with the supply company deciding they couldn't supply the new incoming power for a long time unless paid a not so small fortune (the story I heard is that the supply company decided long after GW had checked and built, that they had hit capacity). So they put in the panels in part because it meant they could use some of the equipment and because it would offset itself over time given how much electricity they use.
All the French superstores around my way have solar panels fitted atop their sections of covered carparks.

There’s a grant scheme where EDF build farmers a big South facing machinery barn (no sides) and cover it in solar panels and feed the output directly into the local grid.

Have you had an email from Octupus, giving you your options for renewal ? the 8.30pm start Go faster finished the middle of last year.
You might be able to get on to a later start option for the same Oct/Faster.

Have Octopus stated to you all Go Faster tariffs have ended?.
all have ended. its just go now.

from my email

Our various Go Faster siblings are taking a break. In the world of the Energy Price Guarantee, it's no longer practical to maintain a multitude of different flavours of Go — if you need a few hours extra off-peak energy, Intelligent Octopus is a better choice for the moment.

So what does it all cost?

Your current Octopus Go Faster prices
Peak unit rate: 14.12p / kWh
Off-peak unit rate: 5.50p / kWh
Standing charge: 25.00p / day
Estimated annual cost (electricity only): £280.93

We've based your estimate on your historical half-hourly usage pattern - that's 322 kWh during Octopus Go Faster peak times and 2,622 kWh during Octopus Go Faster off-peak times.

Your new Octopus Go prices
Peak unit rate: 44.35p / kWh
Off-peak unit rate: 12.00p / kWh
Standing charge: 37.38p / day
Estimated annual cost (electricity only): £1,400.62

Flexible Octopus prices
Unit rate: 35.06p / kWh
Standing charge: 37.29p / day
Estimated annual cost (electricity only): £1,744.20

my usage is not quite as bad as that .... I was mining until June last year so that used a lot of power. I will use less from now on.

Last edited:
Is this the one that requires the compatible chargers?

Nope

Go, vanilla Ev tariff 0:30-4:30am discount units
Go faster, modified version of above with 4 or 5 hours per day and start time from 8:30pm to 0:30am although I think 0:30am could only be 4 hours
Intelligent, variable charging times but 6 hours and needs a compatible car and/or charger to be told when to charge

Back
Top Bottom