Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Nope

Go, vanilla Ev tariff 0:30-4:30am discount units
Go faster, modified version of above with 4 or 5 hours per day and start time from 8:30pm to 0:30am although I think 0:30am could only be 4 hours
Intelligent, variable charging times but 6 hours and needs a compatible car and/or charger to be told when to charge
afaik, intelligent also defaults to cheap rate from 11:30pm to 5:30am regardless of charger/charging. The smart charger thing enables you to get charged outside those hours at peak rate if it's needed and demand permits it.

flux looks like it can work for me. I am not sure what the waiting list is for it
No for me they are charging too much and I don’t need to export.

8664-A7-DD-C867-4-A94-8750-DD5489-CA6-B79.png

afaik, intelligent also defaults to cheap rate from 11:30pm to 5:30am regardless of charger/charging. The smart charger thing enables you to get charged outside those hours at peak rate if it's needed and demand permits it.

Your right, kinda. Went and checked and they are now saying 11:30-5:30 so looks like they fixed it fully now.
The smart in that period will schedule based on your need and the grid price so when its cheapest for them unless you need all 6 hours of course.

Outside if there is cheap units I think you can get some extra charging but you can always charge at normal price whenever you want, but you may get extra cheap rate if you need it via the smart charger/car app.
Seems to be how people report it working.

Flux only beats go if your going to be a fairly significant exporter, or maybe if you only have very low battery storage. I didnt check how it would work out with low storage.
With decent amounts of storage its hard for the export to beat the cheap units from go overnight.

I know 3 people who have modelled it and all 3 end up cheaper on go. Not by loads but still cheaper. (Current go pricing not reduced old go pricing)
But if you export a decent amount you will likely find flux cheaper.
I even ignored the peak rate and assumed you would battery manage to not use any units then. More work in winter since thats often when you will have low generation/battery left.

Your right, kinda. Went and checked and they are now saying 11:30-5:30 so looks like they fixed it fully now.
The smart in that period will schedule based on your need and the grid price so when its cheapest for them unless you need all 6 hours of course.

Outside if there is cheap units I think you can get some extra charging but you can always charge at normal price whenever you want, but you may get extra cheap rate if you need it via the smart charger/car app.
Seems to be how people report it working.
I'm sorry I mistyped.
I meant the smart charger will charge you outside those hours at CHEAP rate if your charging settings require it, and there is capacity available.
Boost charge (manual charging) outside the time window will be at peak rate.

I'm sorry I mistyped.
I meant the smart charger will charge you outside those hours at CHEAP rate if your charging settings require it, and there is capacity available.
Boost charge (manual charging) outside the time window will be at peak rate.

Yeah we got there in the end between us ;) :)

I may look at that come renewal. I am not sure if they treat a Hybrid as an EV though as such.
Also ofc need to check if the beemer has the required software, we don't have a dedicated charger as they layout just doesn't work on our housing (garages are shared blocks hidden between houses so no power there)

Go will work for me, not as good as go faster.
Don't export anything, just need the cheapest off peak rate, battery covers everything else.
With Go faster its easier as your battery only needs to last(for me) until 9.30pm, with a five hour charge window for the Winter months.

Last edited:
We've just received an email from Octopus telling us that our meters are about to reach their end of life and must be replaced and that they will be replaced with smart meters. Up til now we've been turning down their offers of a smart meter but now it looks like we have no choice but to have one fitted

We've just received an email from Octopus telling us that our meters are about to reach their end of life and must be replaced and that they will be replaced with smart meters. Up til now we've been turning down their offers of a smart meter but now it looks like we have no choice but to have one fitted
It's just a tactic, nothing wrong with keeping what you have if that's what you want to do.

It's just a tactic, nothing wrong with keeping what you have if that's what you want to do.
Looking into it, it appears that its mandatory to have them replaced when they reach end of life, legally mandatory I mean.

Part of the Electricity Act 1989 apparently

"Certification periods are allocated by OPSS and are restricted to 10 years for newly approved induction meters and for periods of between 10 and 20 years for static meters. Certification periods greater than 10 years (for static meters) are subject to the submission and validation of a component reliability model based on the Siemens Norm SN29500.

Subsequent in-service surveillance monitoring through the national sample survey or In-service testing can result in the certification life of a meter type being either extended or reduced. When certification is required meters must be removed from service when the certification period expires."

Last edited:
Well if I had been on flux my £70 electricity bill for Feb would have been around £65 with income of around £11. I think April-October is going to be quite worthwhile. Ok winter may be less good, but since I'll be using batteries during peak times I think I can make it work since I can automate it all.

Any ideas on when flux is likely to be rolled out?

Why have you been turning them down?

Why have you been turning them down?
I'm someone who doesnt like changing stuff that I'm currently happy with, its why I havent upgraded my Sky to Sky Q or Glass or whatever it is, its why I am happy with the car I have and havent gone to an ultrawide monitor, why my washing machine and tumble dryer are pretty old etc etc. Always been happy with the traditional meters that we have so have never wanted them changed. I'm a "if it aint broke dont fix it" sort of guy :D

Last edited:
I'm someone who doesnt like changing stuff that I'm currently happy with, its why I havent upgraded my Sky to Sky Q or Glass or whatever it is, its why I am happy with the car I have and havent gone to an ultrawide monitor, why my washing machine and tumble dryer are pretty old etc etc. Always been happy with the traditional meters that we have so have never wanted them changed. I'm a "if it aint broke dont fix it" sort of guy :D
Thing is, it makes very little difference to you once installed. You just leave them be and stop submitting your meter readings that’s it. Great not to be bugged by then constantly. The small screen that provides the £x daily etc is not required and can be put away.

Back
Top Bottom