Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

It was extremely predictable that the standing charge would stay the same or increase when the actual cost of energy comes down. Peoples consumption will have reduced by quite a lot and that's here to stay I feel, so they have to squeeze us dry one way or another. Not forgetting standing charges have increased massively already, so this isn't justifiable IMO.
Not when it’s risen well above inflation. There’s little justification for it other than huge capitalist profit margins.

The main issue is all the bailouts not capitalist profits. Its only been in the news for a year :rolleyes:

Octopus have nearly finished moving over 1 million people across. Many of whom had deposits with Bulb that needed to be funded by all of us.

we get ripped off down here in the souf... 4.83 here

You seem to get cheaper elec though, even though loads of offshore near me, sizewell, loads of solar farms ...
I believe one of the LNG sites isn't that far from me so probably plays a part in it.

Not sure the minor differences in unit costs make any sense to me. Standing charges of course make sense to vary due to population densities etc

Do show us those huge capitalist profit margins on the standing charge? The huge profit margins don't come from the supply side.

Everyone know that the energy suppliers aren't shouting huge profits but, for some of them, it's convenient being able to have the production arm of the same umbrella company under a separate entity thereby insulating the supplier arm of the business from scrutiny...

Everyone know that the energy suppliers aren't shouting huge profits but, for some of them, it's convenient being able to have the production arm of the same umbrella company under a separate entity thereby insulating the supplier arm of the business from scrutiny...
Sure, but that is nothing to do with the standing charge is it.

Sure, but that is nothing to do with the standing charge is it.

I never said it did? :confused:

I have an issue with the standing charge as I am a low user. High users don't appear to have that much of an issue as it forms a less significant part of their bill so I understand what I say about putting it on the unit charge will rub the higher users up the wrong way but that doesn't mean I am incorrect.

For the whole "you need to pay for the infrastructure and cables/pipes to supply you" argument - It doesn't happen with Water for example...

I never said it did? :confused:

I have an issue with the standing charge as I am a low user. High users don't appear to have that much of an issue as it forms a less significant part of their bill so I understand what I say about putting it on the unit charge will rub the higher users up the wrong way but that doesn't mean I am incorrect.

For the whole "you need to pay for the infrastructure and cables/pipes to supply you" argument - It doesn't happen with Water for example...
My water bill has a standing charge

This argument largely falls into 2 camps.

1. The low user who are, understandably, irked by the fact that the standing charge now makes up such a large proportion of their bill compared to a year or so ago (I'll get to that point in a sec)

2. The high users who would be, understandably, irked if the SC was put on the unit charge as it would likely increase their bill by quite a bit.

Both camps can be correct.

Bear in mind, my SC for gas and elec went from 14p/day total to just under 77p/day in the space of 12 months... An increase of over 450%

Now I know why the Elec SC is so high - mostly to fund the credit balances etc for the companies that went under - whether that should or shouldn't have happened is another can of worms in itself.

What I'd like to see is the amount that is still to be paid to cover these charges, how much is being received from the increase in Elec SC that is being used to service this debt and then the outstanding balance each month.

Why? Because I truly believe that the energy suppliers will not reduce the SC once this is "paid off"

E.g. if the SC is 50p/day and 25p of that is being used to pay off this "debt", do we really think the SC will reduce by 25p/day once it's paid?

Last edited:
Indeed, exactly that. At the point in time when we could recover a bit the energy companies just think about profit and taking as much as possible. Gov should have put a block in place not allowing a change to standing charges.
Thats the issue when a metered service goes up in price, people adapt, then they need to recover revenue, so the consumer still loses.

I think whats happened, ofgem decided even more SC is required, and to meet the typical user cap the government tuned unit prices to compensate.

Do we think within 10 years zero usage cost will exceed £50 month?

Back
Top Bottom