Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

I have certainly made some effort to reduce electricity usage, but I haven't worked for 45 years to spend time in the day under an electric blanket with a coat and a bobble hat on the rest of the time, and with no lights left on overnight. "Like a troglodyte" :) I am working longer hours than I had hoped to at my age though, so as to buffer the increased cost of living.

I knew I wasn't imagining it :D you definitely said similar over the winter too :D

Good to see the EPG will remain in place at £2,500 for another 3 months. The additional payments are now finished (I think?) but we're leaving heating season so there should be much less of a burden on households.

just had an email from octopus about an energy saving session 6:30-7:30 tonight!.

That is the shortest notice i have been given yet. surprised to be honest... its not that cold and the sun has been out today at least in my area. am surprised energy is especially expensive today.

Isn't the bill over 90 days so £20.63ish a day? You use in two and half days what I use in a month electric wise! That bill is about the same as what my 3yrs would be...mental. I can't imagine ever having a bill that high tbh.

It is not much difference to what we are paying. 2 adults, 2 kids and a dog. We are averaging around £350-400 a month over winter.

Good to see the EPG will remain in place at £2,500 for another 3 months. The additional payments are now finished (I think?) but we're leaving heating season so there should be much less of a burden on households.

Not really because if you pay by direct debit your bills will still be the same as you build up credit for the next winter season. They do this so outgoings are similar instead of coming into shock when winter hits. Most peoples bills will go up now not down.

Last edited:
just had an email from octopus about an energy saving session 6:30-7:30 tonight!.

That is the shortest notice i have been given yet. surprised to be honest... its not that cold and the sun has been out today at least in my area. am surprised energy is especially expensive today.
wonder why they have no warning ;)

28kw so pretty hefty, that's a fair amount of heat being generated.

The energy costs are covered by the company who own the server, Exmouth pool just benefits from the heat generated.

For reference its cluster contains, 12 x 4 A100 GPUs running AMD Epyc CPUs generating around 140,000kWh of heat a year over half of what the pool needs, and the cluster can be expanded.

This sort of thing is great. It's one of those cool ideas that works for both. Great idea.

28kw so pretty hefty, that's a fair amount of heat being generated.

The energy costs are covered by the company who own the server, Exmouth pool just benefits from the heat generated.

For reference its cluster contains, 12 x 4 A100 GPUs running AMD Epyc CPUs generating around 140,000kWh of heat a year over half of what the pool needs, and the cluster can be expanded.
they probably wont expand, cos more server will mean during summer time, they will not be able to run all their clusters at 100% as the demand for heating wont be that great. they must have balanced the heat gen based on what they can get away with in terms of heating the pool in the summer time.

it is a great way of harness the lost heat.

I am just surprised that large data centre dont provide district heating for local communities or communities built around large data centres that utlise the heat as form of district heating...crazy that such valuable resource is lost to atmosphere untapped.

with the favorable OVO ev contract octopus must have an eye on keeping clients,
post budget should see if other companies are confident on gas futures/Ukraine situation with some new tarifs too V

9Mar The European Commission will propose extending emergency gas demand reduction measures until next year to ensure it is well prepared for the coming winter, energy chief Kadri Simson said
The market will closely watch the rate of replenishing storage sites over the summer, especially without the usual Russian volumes. Moscow sharply lowered shipments through pipelines following the war in Ukraine, and much of Europe is looking to move away from those supplies. However, Russian LNG imports into Europe have increased.

Simson called for a stop to these shipments as well, without announcing any specific measures. European companies should not renew long-term contracts with Russia once current ones end, she said. The EU received around 20 billion cubic meters of LNG from the country last year.

“We can and should get rid of Russian LNG completely, as soon as possible, still keeping in mind our security of supply,” Simson said. “Committing not to renew existing contracts with Russia is the best way to give a long-term assurance to our reliable partners that meaningful demand will stay.”

yes hopefully he declares leisure centres as valid essential energy users too - don't want to see our pool closing,
leisure centres/pools have a lifebouy from the chancellor , what's their fix
hospitality business in no mans land ? - last week, local chip shop curiously seems to have changed from opening 6 to 7 days a week

i received my email from octopus at 6.40. 10 minutes in to the session. I read it at 7.30. :rolleyes:

Good news on extending the GO tariff, I do plan to chance it and request they extend my tariff's just before they expire, the worst that can happen is they say no which puts you back to where you were before asking anyway.

Electric going down half ap pkwh from April from spower.
Standing charges going up the buggars.

Still waiting for the blackouts that gripped the forms with fear a few months ago.

Back
Top Bottom