Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

What do people not understand about preparing for the worst? It's really a simple concept.
indeed I can't believe people are that stupid so I have to almost hope it is intellectual dishonesty.

using that logic.....
I didn't look when crossing the road and I didn't wear a seat belt and look at me .. I am still alive

also by using the energy saving thing and paying people a bunch of cash that helped reduce the need for coal power.
firing up coal power stations was the real likely worry imo and that is also something which was to really want to avoid imo .

we had a really mild winter...... it may not have gone so well if we had had a beast from the east type weather for a month or so

Last edited:
indeed I can't believe people are that stupid so I have to almost hope it is intellectual dishonesty.

using that logic.....
I didn't look when crossing the road and I didn't wear a seat belt and look at me .. I am still alive

also by using the energy saving thing and paying people a bunch of cash that helped reduce the need for coal power.
firing up coal power stations was the real likely worry imo and that is also something which was to really want to avoid imo .

we had a really mild winter...... it may not have gone so well if we had had a beast from the east type weather for a month or so
Tbh raising the prices made people think twice about their excess usage imo.

Coal power stations have been fired up but not to the limits that they could have output.

I agree on the mild winter, as that would have saved lives of people couldn't afford to keep the heating on if it had been a harsh winter.

Electric going down half ap pkwh from April from spower.
Standing charges going up the buggars.

Still waiting for the blackouts that gripped the forms with fear a few months ago.
Eon are doing the same. Unsure on the figures but I had an email stating they'll lower the unit cost but up the standing charge. Wrong way round for the warmer weather that is. Damn them!

Last edited:
Gas tracker is under half price today compared to the SVR at 4.99p/kWh, highest its been this month is 6.49p/kWh.

Saved a decent amount on the gas tracker so far, wonder how long it will take to filter through to SVR prices.

Bringing up their ensured revenue to make up for expected lighter usage. :(
Indeed, exactly that. At the point in time when we could recover a bit the energy companies just think about profit and taking as much as possible. Gov should have put a block in place not allowing a change to standing charges.

I've always begrudged standing charge but then it equates to between ¼ and ⅓ of my bill.

IMHO it should be removed and put on the unit charge but higher users won't like that.
No it shouldn't, it covers the cost of maintaining the network which you still use, not to mention all the government support stuff and green levies.

quick question about octopus Go for those not on it but tried to join lately....
is there a waiting list to get on?

as my Go faster is ending on 22nd of April my options are to go to Octopus Go with 4.2p kwh export OR

go to SVR which is almost 10p compared to Go peak times...... and is 15p per kwh export.

I think i am leaning to just going to the SVR... however IF i buy an EV with a big old battery i will definitely want to go to Go..... is there any waiting list to get on it?

thanks
Mike.

PS bonus round.....

is there any hassle or waiting list going to the normal export price? i am hoping i wont need to submit too much paper work as i am already exporting using octopus.

Do you have a battery? if so why not go onto Flux?

Most of the time it's at least the same as the SVR, and then you get paid better per kWh, and you have a 3 hour off-peak window to charge in as well.
is Flux actually live now? I did post a message to octopus asking about it along with any waiting list and they replied suggesting i need to wait until my octopus go faster ends and then i can enquire about it to show my interest..... unless i miss understood them.

is Flux actually live now? I did post a message to octopus asking about it along with any waiting list and they replied suggesting i need to wait until my octopus go faster ends and then i can enquire about it to show my interest..... unless i miss understood them.

There are people on it, so yes it does seem to be live.

You can switch whenever as far as I'm concerned, no exit fees on Go etc.

If you already export with Octopus via SEG then should be simple enough for them to move you to Flux outgoing as well.

I've always begrudged standing charge but then it equates to between ¼ and ⅓ of my bill.

IMHO it should be removed and put on the unit charge but higher users won't like that.

It really pee's me off as well, standing charge costs me double the cost of my energy used from the grid.

Last edited:
There are people on it, so yes it does seem to be live.

You can switch whenever as far as I'm concerned, no exit fees on Go etc.

If you already export with Octopus via SEG then should be simple enough for them to move you to Flux outgoing as well.
that is a good thread thanks....... IF the energy really does cost so much more at peak times to generate....... its a shame flux is not even more agressive.... ie give octopus Go off peak prices for the 3 hrs and then add an extra 10p onto the 4-7pm period.

i would happily have me potentially paying 60p per kwh in that period with the carrot that i could charge for 10p for instance. i would even take a 3:30 - 7:30pm increased window of high prices too... sure i would export a little less as my battery would have to cover me for an extra 60 mins but so long as my clean imported energy was cheaper i think most people would take that.

Last edited:
Last edited:
You need the cabling and infrastructure no matter how much you use - as much as I dislike it too, standing charge makes the most sense
It was extremely predictable that the standing charge would stay the same or increase when the actual cost of energy comes down. Peoples consumption will have reduced by quite a lot and that's here to stay I feel, so they have to squeeze us dry one way or another. Not forgetting standing charges have increased massively already, so this isn't justifiable IMO.

Last edited:
It was extremely predictable that the standing charge would stay the same or increase when the actual cost of energy comes down. Peoples consumption will have reduced by quite a lot and that's here to stay I feel, so they have to squeeze us dry one way or another. Not forgetting standing charges have increased massively already, so this isn't justifiable IMO.
I think the thing there is that whilst the cost of energy can come down, the cost of maintaining the actual infrastructure doesn't, as it's always affected by inflation and things like the cost of raw materials and parts.
If anything I suspect the standing charge will continue to go up as we push to more renewable generation and more electric cars etc as you need to keep increasing the actual grid capacity and do so more heavily at the local level, it's relatively easy to upgrade an overhead line/between towns, it's much more expensive to upgrade the cabling around a town as between towns it's basically one line at a time, around a town it's potentially dozens/hundreds of underground/over ground cables and sub stations that need to be done.

Back
Top Bottom