Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Had a. Email from Shell about price changes from 1st April

Your electricity rates are changing from 36.448p to 34.761p per kWh. Your electricity standing charge per day is changing from 48.59p to 61.81p.
Your gas rates are changing from 10.344p per kWh to 10.348p per kWh. Your gas standing charge per day is changing from 28.48p to 29.11p.

The electric price is only 1.2p a unit cheaper than the current SVR, how did they end up with such a big differential on their claimed typical annual usage cost
typical is 12KKwh gas, 2.9KKwh electric - check their calculation.

I thought govt can override everyones sc charge, in July, if they decided bail-out debt was to be re-payed faster and unit charge was dropping to a level where that was manageable.

typical is 12KKwh gas, 2.9KKwh electric - check their calculation.

I thought govt can override everyones sc charge, in July, if they decided bail-out debt was to be re-payed faster and unit charge was dropping to a level where that was manageable.
Yeah so this is why we have people saying quoting typical costs is nonsense as it not just the amount of overall usage but also the balance of that use.

Now the unit rates have been posted here, members can make a much better informed decision.

Unless something has changed I think it usually was just the SVR tariff that was under the ofgem cap regulation, however we know that for suppliers to qualify a tariff for the EPG subsidy they had to hedge their energy in the same as the SVR is done (which is the reason why the tracker on Octopus is rate limited on signups because they currently losing money, also as well as the stabilisation fee). So its unclear on this new fixed tariff, if its prices are subject to the ofgem cap rates. historically I think it wouldnt be.

Last edited:
Hi guys just checking. What are you daily average costs for gas. Just installed my hive system and it's showing me that I'm using average £3.30 a day. Is this is reasonable or I should try and cut down even more?

Hi guys just checking. What are you daily average costs for gas. Just installed my hive system and it's showing me that I'm using average £3.30 a day. Is this is reasonable or I should try and cut down even more?

To be fair that's got so many variables it's impossible for anyone to answer. You'll have to analyse your usage.

It might be low for a large detached house. It might be high for a single flat. Is it an old house, a new build. Are there 5 people living there 24/7 are you on your own and at work from 9-5? and so on.

Last edited:
To be fair that's got so many variables it's impossible for anyone to answer. You'll have to analyse your usage.

It might be low for a large detached house. It might be high for a single flat. Is it an old house, a new build. Are there 5 people living there 24/7 are you on your own and at work from 9-5? and so on.
Hi, it's a 3 storey new build. I've done a lot work, installing hive and radiator valves around, to control the heating. Unfortunately as I've only just moved in I've no yardstick to weigh , so now just wanted to findout how much are others spending daily. We also don't have a smart meter yet but hoping to have one installed soon by .

General question as I don't seem to be able to get a definitive answer

We have just had smart meters installed (we are with Shell Energy) and have a (Chameleon) IHD

Does this account for / show the daily standing charge ?

Last edited:
does anyone know if there is a waiting list for octopus Flux? currently on Go faster and exporting with them (SEG rates) so I think they have all the info they need about my gear. my current contract ends 22nd April.
I did ask their support but their response was wait till your (my) current contract expires then apply to go on it, which didn't answer my question. I know they are busy so do not want to hound them unnessesarily.

if it has a 6 month waiting list I will miss summer so I may as well just stay on octopus Go.... but would rather go on Flux if I can

Last edited:
does anyone know if there is a waiting list for octopus Flux? currently on Go faster and exporting with them (SEG rates) so I think they have all the info they need about my gear. my current contract ends 22nd April.
I did ask their support but their response was wait till your (my) current contract expires then apply to go on it, which didn't answer my question. I know they are busy so do not want to hound them unnessesarily.

if it has a 6 month waiting list I will miss summer so I may as well just stay on octopus Go.... but would rather go on Flux if I can

Not as far as I'm aware, you should just be able to switch to it though if you want? There is no exit fee on their tarriffs.

Contact them on twitter is probably best.

Hi, it's a 3 storey new build. I've done a lot work, installing hive and radiator valves around, to control the heating. Unfortunately as I've only just moved in I've no yardstick to weigh , so now just wanted to findout how much are others spending daily. We also don't have a smart meter yet but hoping to have one installed soon by .
I'm in a 3 storey new build and mine was under £3 a day for gas up until Oct/Nov last year, that's when British Gas upgraded their website and stopped providing consumption data.

General question as I don't seem to be able to get a definitive answer

We have just had smart meters installed (we are with Shell Energy) and have a (Chameleon) IHD

Does this account for / show the daily standing charge ?

Mine does(Octopus), on the IHD just after midnight, if you check the "used so far today" button, it shows the SC, it just adds the electric used to the SC, cost shown will increase throughout the day.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom