Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

The grand 7 months of bills adventure starts here!

I was curious to see how much utilities had cost me over the 7 months I've been with Octopus, and what with Winter sort of ending and better weather kicking in. This is the result:

Start DateEnd DateDaysElectrickWhAvg £/kWhGaskWhAvg £/kWhAvg Cost/Day
27-Aug26-Sep30£38.78173.78£0.2232£18.32132.15£0.1386
£1.90​
27-Sep26-Oct29£36.16238.15£0.1518£20.92132.90£0.1574
£1.97​
27-Oct26-Nov30£48.97353.71£0.1384£39.27295.98£0.1327
£2.94​
27-Nov26-Dec29£64.18429.27£0.1495£94.75829.01£0.1143
£5.48​
27-Dec26-Jan30£68.63431.71£0.1590£88.21763.93£0.1155
£5.23​
27-Jan26-Feb30£70.81434.35£0.1630£49.46560.50£0.0882
£4.01​
27-Feb26-Mar28£66.78409.02£0.1633£33.99452.79£0.0751
£3.60​
206£394.312469.99£0.1596£344.923167.26£0.1089
£3.59​

Total of £739.23 charged for both gas and electric (inc SC).

Pre-discounted average cost per unit of electric = £0.1596, gas = £0.1089.

-£400 Gov support = £339.23
-£57.20
Saving sessions = £282.03 (there is one more still being calculated)
-£5.07 for solar generation = £276.96

Final adjusted bill of £276.96 (206 days = £1.34 per day).

Last edited:
Maybe you think close to £30 a month for zero usage is ok then.
theres lots of things we pay for in this world, with zero usage until you need it.....insurance being one. Mine is 47p a day, so thats £14.57 a month, no where near £30....and even at 67p a day it would be £20.77.

But at least i know the network of electricity is all still there for when we need it and its kept up to date, some countries don't even have that.

The grand 7 months of bills adventure starts here!

I was curious to see how much utilities had cost me over the 7 months I've been with Octopus, and what with Winter sort of ending and better weather kicking in. This is the result:

*SNIP*

Final adjusted bill of £282.03 (206 days = £1.34 per day).

Great numbers. The Gov. £££s has certainly helped. I'll take a look at mine. I should be in profit.

theres lots of things we pay for in this world, with zero usage until you need it.....insurance being one. Mine is 47p a day, so thats £14.57 a month, no where near £30....and even at 67p a day it would be £20.77.

The error in your maths is that a lot of people have Gas as well as Electric so that means 2 lots of SC hence the almost £30/month figure.

The error in your maths is that a lot of people have Gas as well as Electric so that means 2 lots of SC hence the almost £30/month figure.
so why are people only posting about electric if they mean its both? most of the last few posts have been about electric only when posting figures, if tis gas as well then my point still stands, the gas network is there in the winter ready for you to use it too keep warm, but you pay standing charge in summer just to heat your water. People need paying, networks need maintaining, inflation rising...it all adds up. 1st world issues hey, go to a 3rd world country and see how they live and then complain about the standing charges

Last edited:
so why are people only posting about electric if they mean its both? most of the last few posts have been about electric only when posting figures, if tis gas as well then my point still stands, the gas network is there in the winter ready for you to use it too keep warm, but you pay standing charge in summer just to heat your water. People need paying, networks need maintaining, inflation rising...it all adds up. 1st world issues hey, go to a 3rd world country and see how they live and then complain about the standing charges

no one is complaining about paying to maintain the network. People are complaining about the apparently unreasonable increases and some are complaining that low users are paying proportionally more in their bills than high users.

Is the maintenance of the infrastructure a fixed cost irrespective of usage or, do maintenance costs increase as the usage of the infrastructure increase?

I would say the answer to that bears a significant weighting to any argument on SC

Your 1st World Vs 3rd World argument is just silly... Next time you have a complaint, can the recipient of your complaint just shut you down with "1st World problems mate, go live in a 3rd World country and see how they live and complain about <insert problem here>"

If you think the current situation in this country is all fine and dandy then I don't really know what to say...

no one is complaining about paying to maintain the network. People are complaining about the apparently unreasonable increases and some are complaining that low users are paying proportionally more in their bills than high users.

Is the maintenance of the infrastructure a fixed cost irrespective of usage or, do maintenance costs increase as the usage of the infrastructure increase?

I would say the answer to that bears a significant weighting to any argument on SC

Your 1st World Vs 3rd World argument is just silly... Next time you have a complaint, can the recipient of your complaint just shut you down with "1st World problems mate, go live in a 3rd World country and see how they live and complain about <insert problem here>"

There are lots of fixed costs but the standing charges are high right now because of the failure of suppliers, as those costs have been loaded onto SC.

There are lots of fixed costs but the standing charges are high right now because of the failure of suppliers, as those costs have been loaded onto SC.
And one day, far into the future, those costs will be paid off, and of course the SC will plummet back to previous levels.
Yeah right...

If you think the current situation in this country is all fine and dandy then I don't really know what to say...
where did i say that?? i see no issues with the standing costs, as for the rest of the issues in this country i have made no comment about any of them.

If you think yuo could provide energy cheaper and maintain the network to your desired standard, then i guess you crack on and we can all wait for your network to get up and running and we can all pay peanuts

Its almost always going to punish the lower/poorer users. Then we will have the fun when eventually a lot of people have solar and batteries and the grid needs support from a diminishing number of customers and guess who won't be able to afford to put solar on their roofs?

Its almost always going to punish the lower/poorer users. Then we will have the fun when eventually a lot of people have solar and batteries and the grid needs support from a diminishing number of customers and guess who won't be able to afford to put solar on their roofs?
People with solar still pay the SC, actually moving SC to be part of the unit cost would benefit solar users.

People with solar still pay the SC, actually moving SC to be part of the unit cost would benefit solar users.

Thats my point. They will have to make up the short fall somewhere. The standing charge is universal no matter how much you use so its a dependable income for the companies. Pushing that onto the unit cost would just lead to more and more of the cost burden put on the poorest of society as more people get solar.

What's the failure rate like on inverters? Switch mode power supplies (which is what an inverter is, basically) are notorious unreliable, especially if built down to a competitive cost.

A lot of solar suppliers and installers, and I mean a LOT, have gone bump leaving most of their warranties worthless.

Back
Top Bottom