Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Is it still a six month wait list for Octopus tracker? Any way to speed that up or is it a tough luck kind of situation, with no alternative than just to stick with the standard variable of Shell?

Last edited:
Is it still a six month wait list for Octopus tracker? Any way to speed that up or is it a tough luck kind of situation, with no alternative than just to stick with the standard variable of Shell?

I left shell and moved to Octopus tracker. Octopus is so much better. Only thing is their CS is now not as responsive due to all the extra customers. When I joined a few months ago I would replies every few hours. Now it takes a few days :cry:

Probably will be less now they have decided to make it smart meter customers only.

USA is still discharging their national oil reserve, apparently. Since a spike is always possible they should be refilling at a relative lower price but hard to say when the low isnt known. Natural gas has the problem of storage and only so much is possible to store, I think price is related to capacity to produce actively also so the drill rig count and trends there. Presume the worst, hope for the best. 4.43p would have saved us hundreds

Try Agile Octopus as there's no waiting list for that one. If it doesn't save you money, you can always switch back to a standard tariff. My average unit rate yesterday on this tariff was 17.76p!

The downside of Agile is usually the 4pm to 7pm peak pricing. But the peak pricing hasn't (AFAIK) gone over the standard tariff price of ~40p per kWh even once this year :eek:

Last edited:
OOof predictions not getting that much better, and the SCs :(

Standing Charge and Unit Cost predictions:
July-Sept SC:(£/day) Elec–0.53, Gas–0.29 UC: (p/kWh) Elec–29.55, Gas–7.55
Oct-Dec SC:(£/day) Elec- 0.54, Gas– 0.30 UC: (p/kWh) Elec – 30.59, Gas – 7.53
Jan – Mar: SC:(£/day) Elec–0.54, Gas–0.30 UC: (p/kWh) Elec–31.45, Gas–7.86

OOof predictions not getting that much better, and the SCs :(

Standing Charge and Unit Cost predictions:
July-Sept SC:(£/day) Elec–0.53, Gas–0.29 UC: (p/kWh) Elec–29.55, Gas–7.55
Oct-Dec SC:(£/day) Elec- 0.54, Gas– 0.30 UC: (p/kWh) Elec – 30.59, Gas – 7.53
Jan – Mar: SC:(£/day) Elec–0.54, Gas–0.30 UC: (p/kWh) Elec–31.45, Gas–7.86
Ouch that’s hitting about 25% of my day spend if that’s the case. That’s not on really

Yeah those SCs are getting big.

80p a day is over 20 pounds a month before you even use anything. That's more than my broadband!

Last edited:
They really need to publish when the SC is going to come back down again.

Unit prices are based on wholesale costs which can be variable, but SC is largely fixed ones, and some extra for paying off previously failed suppliers.

That debt must have some kind of end date.

Last edited:
tis only 5.2p debt payment/day. - but it's the people in Scotland with the 60p/day sc who are worst off.
I read it as - for upcoming 3month period, solr would represent £19/year ... so 5.2p / day + vat in the combined gas+electric standing charge - a quarter of what you said
and in jan-mar it was 17p/day

so running total for jan-june will be 61/4+19/4 = £20

someone confirmed fixed tarif options economics https://www.endfuelpoverty.org.uk/energy-firms-set-for-profits-boost-from-fixed-tariffs/ 3 May
Analysts predict that based on an average household bill under the expected Ofgem Price Cap of £2,064 [2], customers who switch to the deal will lose out by £212 on the Ovo fix or £197 on the SSE offer compared to sticking to the Government’s EPG rate and then moving to a variable tariff governed by the Ofgem price cap from 1 July. [3]

I clicked on the sign-up button for both the Gas and Electricity tracker this March, so I'm expecting to join in about Septemberish. I'm starting to doubt myself if I am really on the tracker waiting list. Would they be able to tell if I call them?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom