Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

ofgem the real villain(behind putin) Aug 22
A director of Ofgem has quit in protest at its decision to add hundreds of pounds to household bills this winter by changing the way it calculates the energy price cap.
Christine Farnish said she had resigned because did not believe that the regulator had “struck the right balance between the interests of consumers and the interests of suppliers”.
Ofgem announced earlier this month that it was changing the methodology of the cap to enable suppliers to recoup wholesale energy hedging costs sooner. The regulator insisted the change was necessary to prevent more suppliers going bust, after the costly failure of 29 companies over the past year.
It is understood that Ofgem analysis suggested all bar two of the remaining suppliers could either go bust or exit the market if it didn’t make the change.
Analysts at Investec estimated that the methodological change would add more than £400 to the level of the price cap in January, taking it to an estimated £4,200 a year, from £1,971 at present.
Farnish, a former chairwoman of Consumer Focus, acknowledged that decisions over the price cap were “never easy” and that Ofgem had to “weigh up a number of factors such as the sustainability of the market, the likelihood of supplier exits and the costs associated with that, and the impact on consumer energy bills”. But she said Ofgem’s board was “charged with an overarching legal duty to protect the interests of consumers”.

guardian
There is also discontent within Ofgem, with staff telling the Guardian that morale is low following a slew of the negative news stories about the organisation. Brearley is thought to have recently fielded questions on all-staff calls on whether the regulator is supporting consumers or suppliers.

I’ve been in a week the peak has been 33p for the dinner hour. Then drops about 17p and 11p over night. Compared to the flat rate 32p on flexible it’s a no brainer. I’m charging at work now so haven’t bothered with an EV tarrif yet after coming off the legacy dirt cheap Go Faster. I’m also luck as got on the gas tracker just after Xmas. Gas was only 3.55p today.
Sorry didn't see your reply.

So most of my usage is during the dinner hours - however for example, right now I have the washing machine on. I assume it's quite low at this time? Late night we have the dishwasher on. So sounds like it could be an ideal move still?

I have a smart meter (SMETS2) how do I actually switch to Agile? Do I need to call Octopus? There is nothing on my dashboard.

Last edited:
I just found the link from Google and logged into my account there. A few hours later all done.

EDIT: to help

Sorry didn't see your reply.

So most of my usage is during the dinner hours - however for example, right now I have the washing machine on. I assume it's quite low at this time? Late night we have the dishwasher on. So sounds like it could be an ideal move still?
For me today for that period for context
10:00 = 14.7p
10:30 = 12.89p
11:00 = 13.65p

Last edited:
I take it with agile and exporting energy you are limited to the SEG?
it looks a great product but for those who can export flux may edge it. (for reference I have a fairly modest 5.1kw system and today I hady combined electricity and gas bill..... octopus paid us £27.50.
(generally I am charging my car at work however)

won't be so good in winter mind you.

Last edited:
I take it with agile and exporting energy you are limited to the SEG?
it looks a great product but for those who can export flux may edge it. (for reference I have a fairly modest 5.1kw system and today I hady combined electricity and gas bill..... octopus paid us £27.50.
(generally I am charging my car at work however)

won't be so good in winter mind you.

No, Agile isn't limited to SEG.

Interesting, just received an email from Octopus to say they are opening up their Tracker tariff to 50k additional people on 1st July and I've got a place on the list :)

Interesting, just received an email from Octopus to say they are opening up their Tracker tariff to 50k additional people on 1st July and I've got a place on the list :)

I suspect because of the Bulb takeover their committed gas is now a lot lower than their actual usage per day, so they can afford to have more people move onto the tracker.

Did it shoot up for the people on gas tracker last winter??? Maybe ask any members who used, what their max rate was last winter and see how much lower it is than the current 10p/kwh
I tried to find out but i can't find any solid information, the best source would have been a user who was on it last winter

I tried to find out but i can't find any solid information, the best source would have been a user who was on it last winter
I've been keeping an eye on it since January and don't remember a day over the price cap but I'm sure a website somewhere has logs of it. Future events could change that though, you need to actively monitor prices.

Last edited:
Winter just gone was mild, if you get a cold winter across Europe and they start using up the stockpiles the price will rise you can't really predict it.

Last edited:
I’m not switching our Gas to a tracker tariff - The only time gas prices are low is during the time when no one’s needs it, i.e. the summer months.
For me, Gas unit price could be 0.5p unit now and I still wouldn’t switch.

Our solar heats water from Feb to November, so no gas needed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom