Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Something odd happened to us.

Our water bill went......down.

Not really sure where we stand on this, needless to say the whole thing is making us feel very uncomfortable.

So....I've noticed in the last 2-3 weeks that our combined Gas and Electric usage has gone down by about a pound a day on our internal IHD. We've taken heating into account and we differently haven't changed what we do on a daily basis. Usually, we use slightly over £7 per day and now it's much closer to £6 and on some days it doesn't even reach that! Unless Octopus has changed our pricing without telling us not sure what's going on?!

I feel reluctant to talk to Octopus about it because maybe it's a glitch on their end and we're taking advantage of it :cry:

We just got a new bill for the last 30 days and it's definitely dropped. It's gone from £200ish a month to £180

Last edited:
So....I've noticed in the last 2-3 weeks that our combined Gas and Electric usage has gone down by about a pound a day on our internal IHD. We've taken heating into account and we differently haven't changed what we do on a daily basis. Usually, we use slightly over £7 per day and now it's much closer to £6 and on some days it doesn't even reach that! Unless Octopus has changed our pricing without telling us not sure what's going on?!

I feel reluctant to talk to Octopus about it because maybe it's a glitch on their end and we're taking advantage of it :cry:

We just got a new bill for the last 30 days and it's definitely dropped. It's gone from £200ish a month to £180

Just look at kWh used.

I've come to the conclusion the IHD (SmartView2) is pointless for any accurate costings on Agile. I do wish there was a dashboard which showed not only consumption but also cost per 30 min increments but I've not found that on the Agile account site. I'll assume you can get at that type of data via the API but I've not a clue how.

Hourly pricing is awesome if you can properly control your big use events like washing machine, charging the car etc.
But it also sucks when you're cooking dinner with an electric oven at peak rate when it's hideously expensive.

this guys site is good - so can see how much agile is during dinner cooking period and other times (ran it over last 3 months V) - personally would 'only' save about 50p/day, for 3 units we use outside dinner period
( can also see that last year sep-nov dinner period avg was 56p - so if that repeated this year I'd probably jump ship )

I do wish there was a dashboard

52934883653_37ba1c0231_o_d.jpg

Interesting; I did take a gander at this site earlier and I guess it is good for average household indicators. I'll take a look at the Octopus Compare app, which may give me what I was after. Thanks.

e: Unless I'm missing something Octopus Compare seems to be just that, comparing tariffs. I was after a personalised chart / plot / whatever showing my household costs along with the 30min consumption usage.

e: I stand corrected, I think this app does, assuming it plugs in my data.

Last edited:
No Storage Heaters
Electricity - £63.46
28th Apr 2023 — 27th May 2023

With Storage Heaters
Electricity - £92.55
28th Feb 2023 — 14th Mar 2023
Electricity - £48.20
15th Mar 2023 — 27th Mar 2023

So yeh :rolleyes:

Went to do a change to Octopus, just paid my bill with EDF then Octopus want a full bill on the 7th June then one on the 28th June.

With EDF I just put my meter reading in each month and paid what was owed, can't I do with this Octopus?

Went to do a change to Octopus, just paid my bill with EDF then Octopus want a full bill on the 7th June then one on the 28th June.

With EDF I just put my meter reading in each month and paid what was owed, can't I do with this Octopus?

Yes you can, you need to change Octopus to using Variable DD instead of estimated, this is how I pay them.

If you can't edit this, you may need to ask them to edit it for you.

Make sure you got/used a referral code when you switched, it gives you £50 bill credit as well as to the one who refers you, it's not too late to apply it on the online portal even if you've already started the process of switching.

On the payments screen it shows this for me:

1ekBj05.png

Last edited:
Interesting; I did take a gander at this site earlier and I guess it is good for average household indicators. I'll take a look at the Octopus Compare app, which may give me what I was after. Thanks.

to maximise benefit from either Agile or Tracker, personally don't see much scope to move moderate energy consuming activities around during the week;
meal time 4-7pm consumption is pretty fixed; washing machine - can't postpone that for days waiting for a zero price agile option like last saturday, other use kettles/toasters/breakfast/ tv|media in evening - fixed too.
hence I think average unit price for tracker, or agile average(during both 4-7pm slot and, the rest) sums up those products.

The (new) 9 month option to return to tracker if you quit, also seems like it will be a dilema,
average price over last 6 months 30p ish, unless you had presence of mind to quit for the couple of 2-3 week period where it peaked in 50/70p region,
and then rejoin a month later, in which case you'd be averaging nearer 20

to maximise benefit from either Agile or Tracker, personally don't see much scope to move moderate energy consuming activities around during the week;
meal time 4-7pm consumption is pretty fixed; washing machine - can't postpone that for days waiting for a zero price agile option like last saturday, other use kettles/toasters/breakfast/ tv|media in evening - fixed too.
hence I think average unit price for tracker, or agile average(during both 4-7pm slot and, the rest) sums up those products.

The (new) 9 month option to return to tracker if you quit, also seems like it will be a dilema,
average price over last 6 months 30p ish, unless you had presence of mind to quit for the couple of 2-3 week period where it peaked in 50/70p region,
and then rejoin a month later, in which case you'd be averaging nearer 20
Well, I only joined Agile last week but in fairness, aside from a few slight changes when running the washing machine, my baseline energy usage is unchanged and even so, my costs compared to Octopus Flexible (similar to Next Flex) have dropped by 40% over the last few days!

I expect the savings to continue in to Autumn but who knows what will happen to the Agile algorithm and/or wholesale prices. I wish I had wised up months ago and moved to Octopus earlier but let's see what happens. I've joined the waiting list for the Tracker product (primarily for gas only) but unsure if a straight average unit cost for the day is better than managing my consumption by hour in Agile. Time will tell.

I expect the savings to continue in to Autumn but who knows what will happen to the Agile algorithm and/or wholesale prices. I wish I had wised up months ago and moved to Octopus earlier but let's see what happens. I've joined the waiting list for the Tracker product (primarily for gas only) but unsure if a straight average unit cost for the day is better than managing my consumption by hour in Agile. Time will tell.

Personally I will see what to do later in the year, you can always go back to SVR pricing if necessary.

It's possible gas tracker will wind up being cheaper on average, but if wholesale costs rocket again over winter, then it will feel a lot of pain.

Over the summer, Agile/Tracker seems sensible, got another 3-4 months of that being true.

Back
Top Bottom