Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

apps are the new web pages/leaflets
an (obligatory) AI/smart app that alerts me real-time, via smart meter, of any atypical increase in energy consumption at home would be good (I think that's enough time on the hairdryer, the toast is done)
but - yes - the proliferation of apps to fix all lifes problems - like the one weight watchers is now perpetually flogging on tv.

following bbc article yesterday on relatively cheaper price of gas now - does seem a good motivation to kick the ceramic/induction hob into touch, it was never as versatile as the gas one in previous property.

Octopus website recommends a new direct debit amount £10 less a month than I'm paying now lol

Yet when I go to look a new tariffs it then says "you are currently paying £1,000 a year, new quote £3,500 a year"

I think I'll stick my head back in the sand

I don't get it or am I being stupid says in the new energy prices up by 50% so why is it people are paying up to 3x to 4x as much per month seems some peoples energy prices have quadrupled

Lad at work has gone from 100 a month to 350

Octopus what a mess their IHD activation system is.

I am in a queue for a lady to input the data entry, but because of everyone ringing in with meter readings she is on phones all day and they saying give it another full week as a best case as she is already a week behind, which would be about 17 days after smart meter install before I can use the IHD.

The call queue message also states Octopus are accepting readings until Thursday and will back date them.

I don't get it or am I being stupid says in the new energy prices up by 50% so why is it people are paying up to 3x to 4x as much per month seems some peoples energy prices have quadrupled

Either people with bigger rises as they were on a cheaper fixed, or supplier pulling fast one building up credit balances for cashflow.

I think if this isnt reigned in it has the potential to overtake rent/mortgage as biggest outlay.

There is people in America still paying 10 cents unit.

We've just had the same conversation in our office. Peoples are going up x3 or x4, not by the reported 50%

I can only assume they came out of a fixed rate weeks ago. Just checked mine, and we're on the go tariff fixed until Nov '22 which is probably why ours has never changed.

Just means I'll be in for one for hell of a shock this coming winter.

Either people with bigger rises as they were on a cheaper fixed, or supplier pulling fast one building up credit balances for cashflow.

I think if this isnt reigned in it has the potential to overtake rent/mortgage as biggest outlay.

I suspect there is a bit of credit building for the October rise.

I hust find it ridiculous they are allowed to increase them by this much its going to create massive job losses with increasing energy prices this time next year mass unemployment as no business would be able to compete

Government as usual do bugger all moment the useless vat of monkey jizz Boris buggers off the better

They probably came out of a cheap fix and have just entered into a new fix at a crazy price not knowing that the capped rate is the best to be because for the last however many years it’s been fix fix fix.

Where are you renting my friend! Our mortgage is not that large and we pay just under £1000/month. A house like this would probably be £1600-2000/month to rent. If energy prices rise to even half our mortgage a month there would literally be a national crisis and rioting.

Found out this week that the energy bill for our works building will be increasing to £1.2m next year. It is over 100 years old though.

Wonder how much the NHS are paying. Hospitals are massive places, and always red hot (even in summer they keep the radiators on).

Where are you renting my friend! Our mortgage is not that large and we pay just under £1000/month. A house like this would probably be £1600-2000/month to rent. If energy prices rise to even half our mortgage a month there would literally be a national crisis and rioting.

Might happen to the poor souls renting flats with old/poorly maintained electric heaters the landlord refuses to do anything about

Found out this week that the energy bill for our works building will be increasing to £1.2m next year. It is over 100 years old though.

Wonder how much the NHS are paying. Hospitals are massive places, and always red hot (even in summer they keep the radiators on).

No cap on commercial energy so the prices are even more insane. Will cause issues like we had last year with the CO2 shortage for food production and some businesses just won't be viable anymore.

I know Rishi has to follow his Tory ideology of cutting spending but rising energy costs just take money away from other parts of the economy. People only have so much income, if more of it goes on paying energy bills then cuts will made elsewhere. Hospitality is likely to be one of the areas to really lose out this year which after Covid is devastating.

Last edited:

Most people coming off a fixed rate that is much lower than what the last few months have been and the new fixed options have all been as high if not higher than the expected October rise so nobody fixing at end of deals means 3x actual bill increase rather than 1.5x

That would be me where my Mortgage is less than both my diesel usage and now my energy bill come this month.

My rent is currently 4x my DD that Octopus want to take, so probably would be about 2 years worth of current momentum to get there.

I know people paying under £300 mortgage and have their energy DD set to over £200 now.

Interesting you think a £1000 mortgage isnt that large,. massive difference of perspective. :)

Back
Top Bottom