Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

UK nuclear has stalled massively - by 2025 the UK will have 3 operating reactors. Hitachi pulled out of North Wales and Toshiba from the 2 it had planned. That literally leaves the French Government operating and building in the UK, and they are only building 1 with possible 2 more. With solar scrapped and no money for tidal, that leaves wind and CCGT as the 2 main generators for the uk (then nuclear then the rest)

Nuclear was under this administration as well not the prvious (as was scrapping swansea bay tidal)

Give over. I think I'll troll through the motors and homes forum looking for people who show off their 60k audis and million quid homes and label them as crass and blatantly showing off.

But that is a thread discussing that, coming out smug as a **** when people are struggling every day isn't a good sentiment to have in this thread considering the topic on hand and that it is an every day necessity for electric and gas which things like 60k cars are options.

Crypto up :D

Never got into it, missed the boat and now don't have funds to try and get into it ha. Ah well. My investment portfolio beyond my house is zero as I have been rubbish with taken own advice and always waste it. 33 now with a couple children and realising I need to start sorting things sooner than later. 7 pensions to sort out (not including current). Just opened up a lifetime ISA for that 25% return for when I hit 60 so should have a reasonable sum in that if I maximise returns by paying in the maximum each year going forward.

Got to do something to start securing some sort of future now tbh.

Also omitting the difference between the UK & France in terms of energy generation and where it's bought and obtained from.

Disingenuous. Then again, it's twitter so only serves one purpose.

Norway’s oil and gas is state owned no? Ours was sold off by…yes, you guessed it….

While U.K. oil and gas wouldn’t fulfil all of the UKs needs, it would have massively reduced our reliance on global markets for it.

Location and property size though, this is a very small 2 bed terrace for that and I own 50% myself to get mortgage down.

Yup, both of those, as well as - higher interest rate because no credit history. Deposit not what it could have been because of devaluation of the south african rand before I emigrated last year. Had to buy a bigger house than we strictly needed because friends and family are going to want to come and visit and we need to have room for them. Also, coming from south african property, "bigger" also means "like 1/4 the size we're used to" which has been a major adjustment. Had to be near the sea because my wife and I both love it, and having lived our whole lives inland, it's been a bucket list item.

Something I never realised until the other day is that if you have "life saving" or medical equipment in your home you apparently don't get any help with the cost of running it (in terms of electricity) above what you might be eligible for as pip/dla (which is likely already going to be going towards other disability related costs such as transport or paying for carers).

This isn't always the case, my mother was on Home Oxygen 24/7 for many, many years and the electricity for that Oxygen Machine was always paid for. But it is probably something that slips through the net around a lot of medical/disabled stuff I agree.

Yup, both of those, as well as - higher interest rate because no credit history. Deposit not what it could have been because of devaluation of the south african rand before I emigrated last year. Had to buy a bigger house than we strictly needed because friends and family are going to want to come and visit and we need to have room for them. Also, coming from south african property, "bigger" also means "like 1/4 the size we're used to" which has been a major adjustment. Had to be near the sea because my wife and I both love it, and having lived our whole lives inland, it's been a bucket list item.

Theres a lot of "musts" in this list that are 100% not even close to musts. :p

She isn't, but that situation is a lot more nuanced than it's given credit. EDF in france have a significant amount of nuclear power, which isn't all that much expensive to run today than it was previously. Sure, they have an opportunity cost in not charging a 'market rate', but they also don't have a such a huge increase in costs either to supply in France. It's a very different situation from the UK and our heavier reliance on CCGT power stations where the raw material/fuel is vastly more expensive to buy.

Gosh, you mean privately-owned essential utilities haven't resulted in untold efficiencies and long-term investment?

Who could possibly have predicted it? :rolleyes:

All these people scrabbling to defend privatisation are just punching themselves in the nuts repeatedly.....you can't compare France to the UK because our utilities are a privately-run shambles with no long term strategy and no investment, and so we've ended up beholded to OTHER countries state-owned providers for our energy.

Same way Deutsche Bahn skim off profits running OUR railways to subsidise German commuters.

It's absolutely mental that people are still so brainwashed they defend this mess.

Last edited:
If you have more than one property on your Octopus account and change a new tariff for one of the properties (if your current one is ending). Please double check it doesn't change it for all of them as I found out today. A quick call to octopus and it was sorted, but don't be caught out!

UK nuclear has stalled massively - by 2025 the UK will have 3 operating reactors. Hitachi pulled out of North Wales and Toshiba from the 2 it had planned. That literally leaves the French Government operating and building in the UK, and they are only building 1 with possible 2 more. With solar scrapped and no money for tidal, that leaves wind and CCGT as the 2 main generators for the uk (then nuclear then the rest)

Nuclear was under this administration as well not the prvious (as was scrapping swansea bay tidal)

Joke isnt it. Severely hoping some solar scheme can be devised to get more people on renewable (even though they have known about this crisis for months, typical sit on it mentality while the reality filters in to the mainstream public to finally digest how bad it is).

Aye fair one. I just picked a property to get roof over head at time tbh. My finances because of being screwed by old tenant means I am kinda trapped here for another 3yr whilst my credit rebuilds though but because I just re-mortgaged with current lender so no credit check which kept my rate low at 1.69%, although up from 1.29% (wish had gone for 5 instead of 2 last time tbh). But I do want to move closer to work. I just can't currently get a new mortgage to be approved due to said bad credit.

It's absolutely mental that people are still so brainwashed they defend this mess.

The problem is that in some cases, privatisation makes perfect sense and is the logical path. The other problem is that anyone who has done business 101 has been indoctrinated into the oversimplified idea that pure free market capitalism is the best thing ever and as long as you encourage competition and chasing ever increasing profits then that is what is best for everyone.

Utilities and transport are two areas where the margins should be tiny / non-existent if you want a good and sustainable system. Instead, they are run in a "worst of both worlds" hybrid system where we subsidise these companies in a lot of cases and protect them when their profit taking for years turns into losses and they unsurprisingly have no resilience to this despite making huge profits.

Then we have behemoths like the NHS which are public sector but run like a weird kronenberg monstrosity with strange autonomy to make bad decisions trust to trust and waste vast sums of money. This sort of thing then puts people off the idea of government run structures.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom