Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Looks like i'll be going intelligent (once signed up) but I wonder how it'll work with charging the car from the solar during the day :)
you just need a compatible charge point and it works. I have a zappi and you set it so once you are exporting over 50w (this is so your house battery and house get priority) it diverts the excess to the car. you have 2 settings eco+ which only uses the sun (within the limits of the system to react) or Eco which uses the sun as much as it can but will use the grid or your battery as well rather than stop starting.

Last edited:
Anyone moved over to Octopus tracker lately?

Joined wait list in June, got an email first of July telling me my smart meter had to move to single rate, do I agree - replied to say yes.

2 days later, sorry, email was wrong, click and follow this link - did it, now just waiting to hear back. I know it's only a couple of weeks but they were so quick with everything else over the last few years, guess they've spoilt me a little bit on expectation from them :D

They did state however, all bills would be backdated to 1st July even if the tariff doesn't change for a while.

Anyone moved over to Octopus tracker lately?

Joined wait list in June, got an email first of July telling me my smart meter had to move to single rate, do I agree - replied to say yes.

2 days later, sorry, email was wrong, click and follow this link - did it, now just waiting to hear back. I know it's only a couple of weeks but they were so quick with everything else over the last few years, guess they've spoilt me a little bit on expectation from them :D

They did state however, all bills would be backdated to 1st July even if the tariff doesn't change for a while.
mine was done before 7th july as per their email. give them a call, they pretty good at sorted things while you talk to them

I'm looking to save a small fortune. On EON I was on eco7 which meant day energy was 50p a kWh. I've moved to Octopus Go now, which means 30p a kWh in the day and 4 hours at 9p a kWh. That should be sufficient to keep the EV happy!

Is it still worth putting gas on the tracker or not? I mean 7.5p is pretty inexpensive given its summer...

you just need a compatible charge point and it works. I have a zappi and you set it so once you are exporting over 50w (this is so your house battery and house get priority) it diverts the excess to the car. you have 2 settings eco+ which only uses the sun (within the limits of the system to react) or Eco which uses the sun as much as it can but will use the grid or your battery as well rather than stop starting.
We've only got a plugin hybrid (Seat Leon) with the granny cable charger - its fine for what we need and charges in about 4hours overnight. The car is compatible with intelligent so we can use the mains plug, but going to be interesting to see what happens if they (or we) try and trigger charging during the day when the solar is covering all the usage :)

I'm looking to save a small fortune. On EON I was on eco7 which meant day energy was 50p a kWh. I've moved to Octopus Go now, which means 30p a kWh in the day and 4 hours at 9p a kWh. That should be sufficient to keep the EV happy!

Is it still worth putting gas on the tracker or not? I mean 7.5p is pretty inexpensive given its summer...

Gas tracker is ~ 4.5p/kWh - still a decent 40% or so saving for doing nothing :)

Seems like the tracker prices are generally trending downward. I've been loving it so far. Before 1st July my IHD was regularly going over £7 per day. Now it struggles to get to £3-£4 per day. Feels like a bit of normality has returned.

Seems like the tracker prices are generally trending downward. I've been loving it so far. Before 1st July my IHD was regularly going over £7 per day. Now it struggles to get to £3-£4 per day. Feels like a bit of normality has returned.

Winter may not be quite so rosy as we'll be vulnerable to price swings from external factors (and demand for gas will be higher natively due to time of year).

I'll carry on riding the tracker for now though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom