Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

£50 avg IF you are a using those 2900kw elec 12K gas , so, if they are just playing with unit price, not SC, maybe of lesser benefit if you have lower usage.
- do they have any small print, or example tarif rate to see how they do the calculation.

I'm with Octopus Agile would 'only' save me some £10/month since we can't load shift outside of the (still expensive) evening window,
tracker would save maybe twice that, but once the expensive period returns (reduced wind/solar tyoically sept/oct) I suspect I'd want to leaver for cheaper SVR, with onerous 9 month return window, and queue in prospect.
it's a poster boy tarif.

Your tariff info.
(all prices include VAT)​
Tariff nameNext Pledge Tracker 12m V1
Starts from12:00 AM, 20th Aug 2023
Electricity
Unit rate28.62p per kWh
Standing charge50.31p per day
Exit feesNone
Gas
Unit rate7.17p per kWh
Standing charge29.11p per day
Exit feesNone

Your tariff info.
(all prices include VAT)​
Tariff nameNext Pledge Tracker 12m V1
Starts from12:00 AM, 20th Aug 2023
Electricity
Unit rate28.62p per kWh
Standing charge50.31p per day
Exit feesNone
Gas
Unit rate7.17p per kWh
Standing charge29.11p per day
Exit feesNone
(had subsequently seen MSE suggest the SC remains the same but only the units are reduced, to save £50 )
so yearly that gives cap total sc 289 & elec 772 gas 860 = 1632 (2.9Klec 12.9Kgas) = £1921
so adding £50 cap reduction 1632/(1632+50) ~ yes about 3% / kwh reduction

so units reduced by 0.85p 0.21p lec/gas .. on the 6 lec units I use a day that would save £1.50/month in my £70/month lec total - so thats 4pints of milk, not so generous.

-----------

Octopus tracker poster boy tarif
octopus said they were signing 50people a day and then supposedly allocated an additional 50K places in July - so in a year that 19.2K + 50K = 70K customers on the tarif..
and they have 5million customers, so about 1.5% of customers on tracker LOL they are taking a big risk there.

EON tariff does look like an effort to stop bleeding customers over to Octopus.

Better than SVR though!
Of course Octopus is £50 no matter what your usage, EON's you have to be at least using the amount quoted by jpaul for it to be worth £50 over a year. But most people wont know that. Still its better than all those fixes which are slightly better than SVR with a £150 exit fee.

Last edited:
I recently read that boiler manufacturers will be fined £5000 per gas boiler they sell if they don't hit 68,000 heat pump installs in 2024. Likewise car and van manufacturers that don't manufacture hit a minimum percentage of electric vehicles will be fined £15k and £18k per vehicle. I assume this is fine is only on the number of boilers/vehicles between the target actual, but still hefty fines.

You will go electric or we'll fine you to death, nice. Oh, but don't expect us to do anything about security of supply whilst electricity demand is increased :rolleyes:

There are lots of challenges with heat pumps that you don't have with gas boiler replacements as well.

From where to put the heat pump, to the external unit, and even if the current radiators will work with them without modification.

You will go electric or we'll fine you to death, nice. Oh, but don't expect us to do anything about security of supply whilst electricity demand is increased :rolleyes:
last i looked the grid claim they are not concerned about the demand on the grid, esp as time of use tariffs, which are already in place will surely be doubled down on to make sure cars are charged when demand is otherwise low.

the biggest issue i think we have - which is loosely related - is more about getting renewables up. the grid at the moment is struggling to cope with multiple sources of generation from all over the place, meaning that even when electricity is in demand and some gas is having to be used to generate electricity, wind turbines are being either shut down, or others are not being allowed to go online.

that is where i am worried about the grid......... but not charging cars over night (or even the few people who are unable to charge at night but just have to charge in the day)

In the houses where heat pumps make sense i think they are great.............. for my house however i am not 100% convinced.

there are lots of other alternatives which i think need to be fully checked out. IR heating, stone batteries, or water tanks heated up with off peak electricity for use during the day.........

(and of course house batteries (at least until bi directional charging is supported properly in cars / car charge points))

Last edited:
Interesting paper just out.
Only skimmed it but will read in depth later.

My take is that with works like this being published the push for TOU tariffs and getting households to be smarter will be more and faster.
Great news IMO, breaking the mindset of its the same price all the time will be a big win for the pocket and the environment.

Also, the Demand Flexibility Service (DFS) which was trialed by National Grid ESO from Oct '22 to March '23 will very soon be integrated into everyday life. It's one of the inputs into switching to a renewable only infrastructure, alongside ToU tariffs.

There is plenty going on behind the scenes to ensure security of supply using renewable energy sources

Being built and connected over the next 10 years
  • ~110 GW of offshore wind
  • ~80 GW of solar
  • 9 more interconnectors
  • Elec Storage : Battery, Hydrogen and hydro pump stations
  • Carbon Capture on CCGT plants.

Last edited:
What a difference a year makes: Gas Price

I recently heard some market analyst describe the European gas market as suffering from 'peak complacency'. This makes sense to me as there's even less gas flowing from the East this winter than last and this winter is likely to be colder than last. So why the low prices? Has European manufacturing collapsed so far as to balance market at this relatively low prices?

Prices have risen a bit recently - apparently associated the strike action at LNG facilities in Australia. Real reason or just a more palatable reason than physical tightness?

Why won't gas prices return to 100-150 level before winter?

Agile is expensive tomorrow ! Peak 65p

I noticed that the other day.
Because the cap has gone I assume.

Octopus Tracker prices are creeping up for a while now. Going from 19p today to 22p tomorrow for me. Slow upward trend.

Yeah gas is deffo creeping up and highest today over the last 4 months or so

Back
Top Bottom