Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Octopus tracker electricity has been creeping up a little over the last few days. Highest I've seen it, granted I've not been on it as long as some of you

Octopus tracker electricity has been creeping up a little over the last few days. Highest I've seen it, granted I've not been on it as long as some of you

Its been very stable this year compared to last but we may see a bit of an increase. Still cheaper than the SVR.

ra2dCCR.jpg

Last edited:
Just renewed my go tariff for end of Sept

9.5p (up from 7.5p) offpeak and 30.1 (down from 40.1) peak
I use very few peak units, apart from peak winter so my worst months bills will drop, but my best months bills will go up a bit.

Just saw the gas price up again, 5.28p today.
Thought you moved to tracker, or was that just for gas?

I've read FES documents in the past and they're highly speculative documents to give the best view of possible scenarios (I haven't read 2023's though).

110 GW of offshore wind is a £220-250 Bn investment, 80 GW of solar is a £160 Bn investment without the untried and untested battery and hydrogen costs on top. If you're in the connections team you'll be aware of the difficulties in wayleaves and crossing agreements that take years before a project can actually go ahead. Supply chains are pushing out particulalry for large transformers and then the other projects like static and synchronous compensation to make it all work with so much generation at the periphery. I just don't think that volume can be built in 10 years.

I've done Q+A sessions with the CEO of Europe's largest renewables firm and he doesn't think the 150GW+ of connections in the UK is going to happen. These companies are still planning new build CCGT's joining the back of the queue for connections because they know a lot of those schemes in front are vapourware or soft.

Battery storage and hydrogen storage are largely unproven at scale and the entire Western World is throwing money at it meaning the lead times are pushing out hugely.

This was news earlier this week - Valid project can be moved up the connections queue to accelerate timescales !

53136076407_ae5d03fa00_b.jpg

Please don't be an arm chair commentator :)

Last edited:
i just checked after reading this thread. wind generation is really low today!. we desperately need far more interconnects with our European friends, that way we can share our supluses when they are needed elsewhere and vice versa.

we also just need more. more wind, more solar, more hydro, more storage, and yes for now, probably more nuclear.] (but that depends how much spare France has i guess).

so angry at Germany closing down their nuclear tho.... and for what? if they are worried about a disaster, well, fall out does not know any borders so whilst they are burning coal, France on their doorstep have nuclear anyway so if the Germans are right and nuclear is a ticking timebomb................... they are stuffed anyway.

Last edited:
Put in my request to switch from Agile to Tracker today.

Agile was cheaper for me in July, but Tracker has been better in August on all bar two days. The difference is marginal - less than £2 over the past 30 days. But prices have started to tick up, so I reckon the difference will be more pronounced over the next 30 days.

Both are still substantially cheaper than Go (for now).

Put in my request to switch from Agile to Tracker today.

Agile was cheaper for me in July, but Tracker has been better in August on all bar two days. The difference is marginal - less than £2 over the past 30 days. But prices have started to tick up, so I reckon the difference will be more pronounced over the next 30 days.

Both are still substantially cheaper than Go (for now).
Via twitter DM Or another means?

Its been very stable this year compared to last but we may see a bit of an increase. Still cheaper than the SVR.

ra2dCCR.jpg

Exactly, compare it to this time last year and you see it's a heck of a lot better now and projected to be much more stable over winter. As long as it stays under the SVR cap then I'm staying on flex. If it goes crazy like last year, especially over Dec/Jan, then I might need to come off it

If you ever switch from tracker it won't let you back for 9 months apparently

There's always Agile as a back-up option. Or Go. Or Intelligent. Or any number of other tariffs.

For me, Tracker is a hedge against a bad Winter. It may be that there's no real saving to be made vs Agile. But Tracker is unlikely to be more expensive than Agile over Winter. And if things get really bad, there's always the SVR.

There's always Agile as a back-up option. Or Go. Or Intelligent. Or any number of other tariffs.

For me, Tracker is a hedge against a bad Winter. It may be that there's no real saving to be made vs Agile. But Tracker is unlikely to be more expensive than Agile over Winter. And if things get really bad, there's always the SVR.

Yes, I am only on tracker for Gas which doesn't really have any alternatives except fixed or SVR.

Electric you do get more options, though Agile seems riskier currently with the cap being potentially higher at the worst time of the day if you lack solar/battery to counter it.

Price cap down to £1,923 from October. Haven’t found the unit rates yet but they aren’t going to be much different from the current SVRs.

Back
Top Bottom