Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

I always went for fix tarrif but this days you are never know what they going to do i was lucky one just before all prices went up i got 3 years deal with EDF paying £115 a month untill september 24, now looking at the prices its scare me to death.

On my current tracker rates, I'm paying about 50% more than what I paid pre-Ukraine. My direct debit is fixed at £250 a month, a hangover from my previous tariff. I'll keep it there to build up some credit for winter.

I'm still hedging my bets with Agile but I am in the fortunate position to tailor usage based on price but it has certainly had an increasing frequency of uptick during the peak periods. I suspect by the time I am ready to jump to tracker it will more prudent to drop on to the flexible or another product through the dark times of Winter. I'm reluctant to move away from Octopus though as I have a mini on the way!
Well last winter was cheaper than last summer outside of a 2 week period.

There tends to be more wind in winter, and it seems gas demand didnt have that much of an impact negatively.

I’ve received a few emails pushing a fix and every time I log into my account, there’s a note somewhere suggesting a fix. It’s not excessive but it got me thinking
Remembers, they're not in it to shield you or your household but to secure their profit margins for a fixed term. That said, if the offering gives you peace of mind and certainty of costs for the duration; then go for it. The Ukraine situation and OFGEMs energy cap minimums have utterly broke any sense of true market competition and supply.

What did it come down from.....9.5p?

I'm due to change to go on the 24th of this month, from Go Faster

Yep - only a small decrease but it’s great to get this applied automatically without chasing up anything.
I’m switching to Intelligent in November when my new EV arrives - think that’s 7.5p for 6 hours (+2 hours over Go). Also, solar export is 4x that of Go.

Last edited:
Yep - only a small decrease but it’s great to get this applied automatically without chasing up anything.
I’m switching to Intelligent in November when my new EV arrives - think that’s 7.5p for 6 hours (+2 hours over Go). Also, solar export is 4x that of Go.

It's not 4x anymore, more like double.

Go SEG is now 8p/kWh and import off peak is 4 hours at 9p/kWh.

Both were changed in the last week or so.

Bit confused as to what to do at the moment regarding Octopus.

I have been on their Price Promise tariff (variable) for a while now and have been offered two tariffs - Loyal Octopus 12M fixed and Flexible Octopus variable. Does anyone know if it is a good time to opt for a fixed tariff?

Bit confused as to what to do at the moment regarding Octopus.

I have been on their Price Promise tariff (variable) for a while now and have been offered two tariffs - Loyal Octopus 12M fixed and Flexible Octopus variable. Does anyone know if it is a good time to opt for a fixed tariff?

The fixed offerings are around the expected price for the winter.
So really if your "happy" with the current price a fix is reasonable.
If they were to soar you would be laughing, if they were to fall you would have to consider the exit fees vs the savings.

Really depends on your appetite for risk.

The fixed offerings are around the expected price for the winter.
So really if your "happy" with the current price a fix is reasonable.
If they were to soar you would be laughing, if they were to fall you would have to consider the exit fees vs the savings.

Really depends on your appetite for risk.

This ^

I fixed as the day/night rating was far lower than the variable I was paying. If it drops that much over winter I'll probably pay the exit fees. But I don't see that happening

I'm still hedging my bets with Agile but I am in the fortunate position to tailor usage based on price but it has certainly had an increasing frequency of uptick during the peak periods. I suspect by the time I am ready to jump to tracker it will more prudent to drop on to the flexible or another product through the dark times of Winter. I'm reluctant to move away from Octopus though as I have a mini on the way!
I wasn't brave enough.

I've been fine with my move so far. Particularly with this wet weather, tumble dryer has already been used.

Well my 2 year fixed (started sept 2021) has ended and octopus have put me on:

Flexible Octopus November 2022 v1

Is this pretty much the cheapest available at the moment? Still getting over the shock of seeing how much more I’ll be paying.

For electricity I was:
19.52p/kWh 22.87p per day.
Now
30.72/kWh 42.01p per day

Gas:
4.21/kWh, 25.32p per day
Now
7.40/kWh, 27.47p per day

I’m screwed, we have electric shower and electric hob

Last edited:
Well my 2 year fixed (started sept 2021) has ended and octopus have put me on:

Flexible Octopus November 2022 v1

Is this pretty much the cheapest available at the moment? Still getting over the shock of seeing how much more I’ll be paying.

Example, for electricity I was 19.52p/kWh 22.87p per day. Now it’s 30.72/kWh 42.01p per day

Octopus Tracker has been consistently cheaper by a large margin since the beginning of the year.

Octopus Tracker has been consistently cheaper by a large margin since the beginning of the year.
I don’t think that’s available. I seem to only be able to select ‘loyal octopus 12m fixed’ or ‘flexible octopus’

Edit: unless you mean flexible?

Edit2: never mind, I see it now! Yeh it does look cheaper, but they expect it to at least double during the winter!

Last edited:
You would be semi brave to switch to tracker right now!
Gas has been creeping up.
Its almost certainly going to go up more.

There is also a 9 month cooling off period if you come off tracker, so IMO you should join tracker if your interested in spring because if prices go a bit mad and you come off tracker you stuck until the next autumn!

Do you have a source for this? I can't see it being the case otherwise the peak prices for Flexible and Intelligent would be going up right now too.
Their own website says “
  • Over the warmer months, prices tend to be lower, and we expect them to increase –likely double – when the heating comes on and the sun starts setting earlier.”

Don’t prices normally go up in winter as well?

Back
Top Bottom