Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

They do an Eco 7 one, but I think you'll likely start off life on the Flexible one which is just SVR, once switch completes you can move to other options.

Stuff like Agile, Tracker etc are possible, but depends on your appetite for risk. Without solar/EV I don't think there are currently any no-brainer tariffs.

I'm on gas tracker but there is definite potential for it to go above the SVR pricing in deepest darkest winter, so I'm playing the wait and see game on how that goes.

Ultimately kind of winds up being how well you can load-shift if needed, it might be that the Eco 7 they do works well for you if you can shift enough of your load to overnight.

They do a fixed set as well but same as other suppliers will probably have exit fees and be a similar price. Octopus is just better as they actually seem to have decent support and a lot of good smart tariff options.

Thank you for explaining. I'll get a quote and see what's what.

The octopus eco 7 day rate is higher than svr at 36p, unless most of your use is in the off peak hours it will be more expensive than their standard flexible.

Right, think my current one is higher too. My dad called up and got his Eco7 switched to standard so although he has two meter values for day & night, both are set to the same unit cost. Will look into it :)

Yeh I was thinking ‘Octopus Flexible’ to get through the winter, then have another look in March
I’ve done this, switched to octopus flexible. With all the weirdness going on at the moment (Armenia war etc) I can’t be bothered with constantly checking prices, I’ll check again at the start of the new year!

Hi folks,

What's the craic on fixing? Energy cap is lowered as of 1st of October but expectation is they shoot up again in January.

I'm with Octopus on Go at the moment, so my night rate is dirt cheap for 4 hours. It makes charging the EV almost free (the cost is generally indecipherable from a normal days usage!). Does it increase at the rate the published/non smart tariffs do?

Also, can you just fix gas separately? I'm paying 70p a day on average including standing charge - that's an hour of hot water and gas hob. Last year I was paying upwards of 13 quid a day to heat the place...

I'm already on gas tracker and you can't go on it again too quickly I don't think. So I'm thinking fix now and I've had my upside....
May as well stay on tracker then and only leave if it gets pricey. End of the day the rises and falls.being talked about on the svr are very small.

Last edited:
May as well stay on tracker then and only leave if it gets pricey. End of the day the rises and falls.being talked about on the svr are very small.
2 weeks to switch and can't return in 9 months... tricky. If I come off now I can go back on in June, which may work out well...

The news today about the small price increase in January has made me feel more confident about staying on the tracker over winter. It's been significantly below the SVR all year and while gas has increased a bit recently its still cheaper.

If they were expecting a bigger increase then maybe I'd fix now

Last edited:
2 weeks to switch and can't return in 9 months... tricky. If I come off now I can go back on in June, which may work out well...
Well if you want certainty then drop to the svr. Fwiw mine is dropping to 6.85p on Oct 1st, it's still a fair bit more than tracker.

Last edited:
Is energy with octopus going up or something ? I'm a single person who uses next to no energy.. used same as last 2 months pretty much. However it's costing me more..

Yet I had an email from octopus earlier this month stating that they have lowered prices ?

Is energy with octopus going up or something ? I'm a single person who uses next to no energy.. used same as last 2 months pretty much. However it's costing me more..

Yet I had an email from octopus earlier this month stating that they have lowered prices ?
yep looks like something went up even if prices came down .. might be the standing charge £3.5 before you get out of bed on electric a week .. all these guys need reeling in ..

then why the increase ?? for the same usage ?? starting to regret having the smart meter put in :(

I don't have a smart meter in my case, I submit readings at the end of each month usually 31st or 1st. Direct debit comes out 1st

Last edited:
then why the increase ?? for the same usage ?? starting to regret having the smart meter put in :(
if your smart meter is reading incorrectly that needs sorting..... but having a smart meter increases options to you to save money not the other way around ... unless of course your old meter was broken and under recording (which isn't as far fetched as you may think )

if you have literally tracked your usage and are being charged more either you recently got to the end of a juicy fix (my 26.59p standing charge 4.95p kWh 2 year gas fix runs out at the end of the month and I will notice that!.

OR there is an error on your account or you have a gas leak / are leaving an appliance on.

Last edited:
Just a PSA and i cant see this has been mentioned anywhere.

If you or family members are with Eon Next you may be eligbiable for a 25% or 50% discount for 6 months on energy from 01/10/2023 to 31/03/2024

I've lifted the below from MSE as its quicker than me typing it out:

Who's eligible for E.on Next's energy bill discount​

To be eligible for the scheme, you must:

• Have been an existing E.on Next customer by 25 September 2023;
  • Be on E.on Next's standard variable tariff (SVT);
  • Have a smart meter (or agree to have one installed);
    AND
  • Have a household income of £19,000 or less;
    OR
  • Have medical dependency needs and a household income of £31,000 or less. E.on Next's list of medical dependencies is as follows: a) nebuliser or apnoea monitor, b) heart-lung or lung ventilator, c) dialysis, feeding pump or automated medication, d) oxygen concentrator e) MDE electric showering.

The discount will be available across all payment methods (including direct debit, prepayment and payment on receipt of bills).

How the discount works and how much you'll get off bills

If you meet the criteria above but DON'T have any energy debt on your account, you'll get 25% off E.on's standard tariff rate until March 2024.

If you meet the criteria AND you have energy debt, you'll get 50% off E.on's standard tariff rate until March 2024. In addition, if you keep up with your monthly payments for the duration of the scheme, any outstanding debt you have at the end of it will be wiped. Once you've joined the scheme, the 25% or 50% discount will be applied to your bill automatically each month and E.on Next will update the price on your meter to reflect the discounted rate.

If you or your family members are eligible for the Warm Home Discount thats a good indicator for being able to at least get the 25% off. I switched my dad onto this the other day and these are his current rates

pd7txzl.png

Well if you want certainty then drop to the svr. Fwiw mine is dropping to 6.85p on Oct 1st, it's still a fair bit more than tracker.
Aye it may be 35% cheaper on Tracker atm but I am using 30 pence worth a day... come winter I'll be using a bucket more :(

19th Aug 2023 26.8 Smart meter reading19th Sep 2023 324.7 Smart meter reading Energy Used 297.9 kWh @ 28.51p/kWh £84.93Standing Charge 31 days @ 47.40p/day £14.69
so other than when we get home 4-8:30 so 4.5 hrs we have lights on in 1 room 2 pc's and thats it well unless we use the toilet then lights on and off as required .. other than a 5-10 min shower in the morning ?and 20 mins on the pc before work ?
heating is wood fire cooking is bbq ... still cheaper ... with Aldi and Lidl cheap briquettes my electric has gone up by £40 ?

Back
Top Bottom