Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

You would be semi brave to switch to tracker right now!
Gas has been creeping up.
Its almost certainly going to go up more.

There is also a 9 month cooling off period if you come off tracker, so IMO you should join tracker if your interested in spring because if prices go a bit mad and you come off tracker you stuck until the next autumn!
Yeh I was thinking ‘Octopus Flexible’ to get through the winter, then have another look in March

Yeh I was thinking ‘Octopus Flexible’ to get through the winter, then have another look in March

I think that would be my approach as well
But you can always keep an eye on it.
If you get to say Jan and trackers still look good then you can start to consider moving IMO.
I think if we see high gas prices they will be by/in Jan.

Been with shell energy for years now. Paying £115 at the moment. Just put details into octopus and their flexible tariff is coming in at £106.

You would be semi brave to switch to tracker right now!
Gas has been creeping up.
Its almost certainly going to go up more.

There is also a 9 month cooling off period if you come off tracker, so IMO you should join tracker if your interested in spring because if prices go a bit mad and you come off tracker you stuck until the next autumn!
I think it’s different if you’re signing up now but tracker unit prices have been significantly below the cap all year so it would take a sustained spell of higher tracker pricing (accepting we’re entering a period of higher usage) before you end up worse off overall.

What's this mean? Are shell going bump? And how do you get the referral money?

Ask one of themany on here for a referral code, go to to website and trigger a transfer

Edit to add, shell are selling out of the home energy market so you will move to Octopus anyway (who are buying it)

Last edited:
I'm in the same situation, had a fix with Shell for 2 years which ends at the end of the month. Is it worth waiting until October before switching to Octopus? My dad is with them currently so can get a referral code from him. Thanks for your help.

Octopus told me their rates are dropping but my monthly payments need to go up...
I've had that a couple of times and I've just set the direct debit to whatever I've wanted myself (and if it's been out of range of what I can set then I've just contacted customer services and explained why it doesn't need adjusted and they've always obliged).

It should be on your account dashboard somewhere. I tend to keep mine somewhere near my base usage and if I go over then I'll pay the difference as a one off. I don't have gas, so I don't like to build up an account credit for winter since it's really only the tumble dryer getting used a bit extra.

I'm in the same situation, had a fix with Shell for 2 years which ends at the end of the month. Is it worth waiting until October before switching to Octopus? My dad is with them currently so can get a referral code from him. Thanks for your help.

Switches take a little time it's a few days, you could do it a little closer end of the month.

Ok cool. Which tariff should I choose? I have a smart meter (economy 7), no solar or ev. Thanks

They do an Eco 7 one, but I think you'll likely start off life on the Flexible one which is just SVR, once switch completes you can move to other options.

Stuff like Agile, Tracker etc are possible, but depends on your appetite for risk. Without solar/EV I don't think there are currently any no-brainer tariffs.

I'm on gas tracker but there is definite potential for it to go above the SVR pricing in deepest darkest winter, so I'm playing the wait and see game on how that goes.

Ultimately kind of winds up being how well you can load-shift if needed, it might be that the Eco 7 they do works well for you if you can shift enough of your load to overnight.

They do a fixed set as well but same as other suppliers will probably have exit fees and be a similar price. Octopus is just better as they actually seem to have decent support and a lot of good smart tariff options.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom